Search

Deleted thread - here it is!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2005, 01:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deleted thread - here it is!

Hi

When I got home tonight I found I had the deleted thread still open- I’ve copied it for all to see. I don’t know what was added between going to bed and the time it was deleted.

Thoughtful reading

Author: David_London
Date: 07/07/2005, 05:04 am
Reports are coming in of explosions on the London underground at 8:50am local time at Liverpool Street Station. There are further reports of explosions at Kings Cross, Edgware Road, Russell Sq, Aldgate East and Bank and reports that two trains have collided at Edgware Road. The entire underground network has been shut down and London is in chaos. No figures on casualties but no reported fatalities yet.

Author: caroline_edinburgh
Date: 07/07/2005, 05:09 am
The BBC is reporting it as being due to power surges.

Author: jody
Date: 07/07/2005, 05:14 am
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...684290,00.html

Date: 07/07/2005, 05:27 am
There are now reports of explosions on three London buses - the first outside BMA House at Russell Square.

Author: flanneruk
Date: 07/07/2005, 05:37 am
Given the patchiness of information at the moment, the best way right now of staying in touch with developments is by tuning in on the web to BBC Radio 5 Live (http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/index.shtml?refresh)

Author: Tallulah
Date: 07/07/2005, 05:41 am
I've never heard of the entire tube AND bus network being closed down...

Am sitting here in the middle of Soho rather wishing that I hadn't gone out of my way to get to work this morning (tubes were closed but buses hadn't been at that time) - would feel far better if still at home..

Author: Kate
Date: 07/07/2005, 06:00 am
Have had my panicking parents on the phone. Luckily, we all got to work fine and missed everything by 10 mins or so. Can't get through to anyone on the mobiles - networks must be rammed. Mass confusion.

Author: LB2409
Date: 07/07/2005, 06:00 am
BBC1 is broadcasting live BBC24 coverage

Date: 07/07/2005, 06:01 am
A doubledecker bus has been destroyed by an explosion, there were explosions at several separate tube stations, and there are several fatalities, according to BBC.

Author: cailin
Date: 07/07/2005, 06:02 am
It's been confirmed that one of the bus explosions at least was a bomb.

Author: TXgalinGA
Date: 07/07/2005, 06:05 am
ohmygoodness, wonder (hope not) if this has anything to do with the 2012 Olympics.....

Author: cailin
Date: 07/07/2005, 06:06 am
or the G8 summit (surely Tony Blair will have more important things to do today now than to partake in the summit?)

Date: 07/07/2005, 06:08 am
BBC has now dropped the "power surges" malarkey.

Date: 07/07/2005, 06:10 am
"All these explosions are aimed at the mass transit system, at rush hour," the expert on BBC pointed out. "It has all the hallmarks of terrorism," he said.

Date: 07/07/2005, 06:11 am
The Hilton Hotel on the Edgeware Road is being used for triage.

Date: 07/07/2005, 06:12 am
Suspect it's more likely to be the G8 than the Olympics, after all, we weren't expected to win...

Author: WillTravel
Date: 07/07/2005, 06:12 am
I don't know what to say. But the simultaneous and wide-scale explosions sound so much like the Madrid events of 16 months ago. I'm afraid it's Al Qaeda.

Author: bellastar
Date: 07/07/2005, 06:14 am
Just got off the phone with several different friends in London. (All made it in to work OK thank God. They are saying now on the news that the bus that exploded was in Russell Sq.
Details are developing, but the one sure thing is that this is a horrendous turn of events.

There's a man being interviewed who was on the Tube between King's Cross and Russell Square who was obviously injured who reported severe injuries on that Train.

Italian TV (RAI) is reporting fatalities, but nothing is confirmed yet.

To all of you in London, our thoughts are with you today.

Author: schuler
Date: 07/07/2005, 06:14 am
My prayers and sympathy are with the London citizens and tourists today. The shock must be overwhelming.

Date: 07/07/2005, 06:15 am
Scotland Yard has announced they will be issuing phone numbers within the next half hour to trace casualties.

From the Scotland Yard website:

Major Transport Incident

Old Jul 8th, 2005, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Remainder of thread

Author: Sarvowinner
Date: 07/08/2005, 05:05 am
Author: Kavey ([email protected])
Date: 07/07/2005, 06:33 am
Kate

Have also been inundated with phone calls from friends and family who know I'm usually working in central London but, although I was in the Bloomsbury Square area yesterday I am working from home today. All the friends I've called so far are also OK but I can't hold of many others.

I believe there are one or two fatalities (from the bus explosion) and about 100 with minor injuries from the bus and the train/ station explosions.

As far as I am aware there has actually only been one bus explosion - the initial questionmark on numbers seemed to be because of conflicting reports on just where that one explosion in Tavistock Square actually happened.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author: m_kingdom2
Date: 07/07/2005, 06:33 am
I'm sitting at home watching the news. I can't stand all this denial. Three or more explosions on buses, and around five on tube trains can only be terrorism.

It's very, very worrying that this attack appears to have come from out of the blue, and the security services didn't have any information or prevent it happening, or to contain it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 07/07/2005, 06:34 am
Further to previous comments. Twenty fatalaties have been confirmed, however, sadly there will no doubt be many more.

Author: david_west ([email protected])
Date: 07/07/2005, 06:35 am
It's absolute chaos here - I'm near Waterloo Station (a major terminal and underground station) and there are troops on the street (for the first time since WWII) and sirens going off everywhere.

St George's hospital (nearby)is full of casualties with ambulances arriving constantly - it looks like at least three bombs (the "power surge" thing isn't being mentioned anymore) at Aldgate, Edgeware Rd and Euston/Tavistock Square, and there are probably more.

Most of the main terminals have been shut, and the mobile phone network has crashed through over demand.

No one has any idea who's behind it (but it probably is one of two groups).

Author: Charley1965
Date: 07/07/2005, 06:38 am
I'm sitting in my office in between Liverpool Street and Aldgate. We have been told not to leave the building. Two buildings up from us has been evacuated and there are people milling about everywhere. I arrived at Liverpool street this morning in the middle of all this and the train was met by police who told us to leave the station as fast as possible, it was very unnerving. It doesn't help that that the mobile networks are down, everyone here is getting calls from concerned family members.

Date: 07/07/2005, 06:39 am
I am just rather confused as to why G8 would lead to this happening in London, when the leaders are in Edinburgh...though I guess London still has more impact and it's easier to have a long term impact if you target the tube. And whilst the Olympic decision was a big deal, I don't think the French were that annoyed( yes I know that's an inappropriate comment but that's British humour for those who don't get it)

If they don't at least get the buses up and running today, I have visions of having to sleep in the office as I'll never manage to get a cab...

Author: obxgirl
Date: 07/07/2005, 06:40 am
Kavey and all London fodorites: Thank you for checking in. Thinking of you all today.

What evil.

Date: 07/07/2005, 06:41 am
Tallulah, the G8 leaders aren't here, they are at Gleneagles.

Author: Charley1965
Date: 07/07/2005, 06:46 am
Tallulah, I'm near Liverpool Street and I've no idea how they can get everyone out of London with no transport. There are people wandering about everywhere from evacuated buildings and no one seems to know what's going on.

Author: Maria_H
Date: 07/07/2005, 06:49 am
Maybe the security forces had their attention elsewhere with the G8 summit in Scotland. I don't know how it would be possible to entirely secure the underground anyway. My thoughts are with any of you in London.

Author: Intrepid1
Date: 07/07/2005, 06:50 am
CNN reporting at least 90 injured in the bus blasts alone; explosions at 6 Underground stations including Margate.

Date: 07/07/2005, 06:52 am
Sorry Caroline, wasn't thinking, not really able to concentrate on anything today...

Intrepid - that would be Moorgate (in the City). Margate is a dreadfully grotty seaside resort in north Kent (where you'd probably not notice bomb damage!)

Date: 07/07/2005, 06:53 am
PM to make a statement at noon London time; supposedly will not return from the conference.

Date: 07/07/2005, 06:54 am
still haven't heard from my partner (mobiles down). very tense time.

Date: 07/07/2005, 06:55 am
Oops.sorry...got that from CNN which also talked about an explosion at the "Old Street" tube station...so much for accuracy.

Date: 07/07/2005, 06:55 am
There was talk of shutting down the mobile network to prevent remote detonation of devices. The government may have execised that option.

Author: worldinabag
Date: 07/07/2005, 06:57 am
My heart goes out to all Londoners. I pray to God that casualties are minimal. This is a terrible day for London and the world as a whole.

Date: 07/07/2005, 06:58 am
Police now confirming "at least two deaths" from the explosions.

Date: 07/07/2005, 07:01 am
It's official: The transport system has been shut down, and the Gatwick Express (train) has been shut down as well.

7 explosions, 2 deaths confirmed.

Tony Blair will make a statement in the next few minutes from Gleneagles in Scotland.

Date: 07/07/2005, 07:03 am
Phew - just heard from my partner.

AND relax.

Date: 07/07/2005, 07:03 am
Tony Blair just described them as "terrorist attacks".

Author: JimSteel
Date: 07/07/2005, 07:04 am
I work in Whitehall (thankfully in a protected building) sirens have not stopped outside. We are being advised to stay in the building and not to use any form of public transport. It’s a very surreal feeling sitting in the office with all the bomb blast covers over the windows. However like the good civil servant we are everyone appears to be getting on with their work! Its going to be chaos tonight getting everyone out of London.

Date: 07/07/2005, 07:05 am
Blairs (Tony and Ian (head of Met police) on the radio now - confirms it's a terrorist act - Tony Blair coming back to London now, but G8 carries on.

Tony Blair states that the attacks are related to the G8 summit. He's blaming "extremists".

Author: SiobhanP
Date: 07/07/2005, 07:17 am
Hi folks glad yto hear that you are ok. Just read that if you van't through by phone try texting as Vodaphone are trying to keep things free for the emergency services.

If you feel at risk in the building I would just leave and start walking to the outskirts of the city. I know it sounds mad but when I was in NY/NJ after the Federal Building was Bombed in Oklaholma we had to be evacuated from our Jersey City Building (No handbag or even money!) and we were beside the pier on the Hudson and just started walking away until we all could call and contact people to get us or stay put in a bar/cafe. There were federal offices in our building and a serious bomb scare that day. Keys and wallet are all thats needed.

Safe home all

S

Author: artstuff
Date: 07/07/2005, 07:21 am
What horrible news to wake up to. My thoughts and prayers go out to all in London, particularly everyone here at Fodors. Peace.

Robyn

Date: 07/07/2005, 07:23 am
Good summary on bbc website:
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/l...659093.stm>

Date: 07/07/2005, 07:24 am
So glad, Kate.

Author: Wednesday
Date: 07/07/2005, 07:26 am
I was watching yesterday when the bid was won, recalling my visit and what a cool city you are, I am so sorry this happened. I am thinking of you today London.

Author: Surfergirl
Date: 07/07/2005, 07:26 am
Can't believe I woke up at 3 a.m. L.A. time and turned on the t.v thinking something was not right. Got hold of my friend at the BBC who is fine -- they recently moved to Elstree outside of London, but my friend's daughter just flew in and is fortunately staying with her grandparents, who moved from Finchley to Ensfield.

My thoughts are with all of you. Stay in touch and keep us informed.

Author: Duck
Date: 07/07/2005, 07:30 am
We are supposed to fly to London tomorrow from the West Coast on our way to safari in Kenya. It is 4:30 am our time. I have had four calls this morning already, two from people who did not even know we were going. Our heart breaks for you London. We pray for you and send you strength.

Author: Kayb95 ([email protected])
Date: 07/07/2005, 07:33 am
Such a tragedy! My thoughts and prayers go out to all in London.

Author: BigBadTea
Date: 07/07/2005, 07:42 am
My thoughts and prayers go out to all the people of London. God Bless.

Author: Where2Travel ([email protected])
Date: 07/07/2005, 07:48 am
I've been following this all morning from my desk. The news seems to be getting more consistent now but it seems like the number of fatalities (if the number so far is accurate) has been kept low considering what's happened.

Here at London Bridge, things seem a lot quieter than just over the river and up the road at Waterloo. We have been told to stay in our building for the time being. Naturally a lot of people just want to go home but I think most people are grateful that we don't know anyone that has been directly affected by this.

I'm just hoping the number of casualties remains as low as possible.

Date: 07/07/2005, 07:50 am
This partial account from Reuters:

"We left the [King's Cross] platform, started going underground, approximately [100 meters], there was an explosion, a flash of light, everything went dark, the train ground to a halt," the eyewitness said. "There was emergency lighting that came on, people started screaming, and then there appeared to be smoke or soot, it was everywhere and it was all over our clothes and our hands and we just had no idea what was going on."

He says people were struck by fear and panic.

"People started screaming. People felt very uncomfortable," he continued. "Everyone just spent time with each other, trying to calm everyone down, and that seemed to go fairly well in our carriage, but in other carriages, you could hear people just feeling very uncomfortable and some people grabbed the hammers and started smashing glass, trying to open the door."

The witness says he had a feeling that London Underground staff were confused at the beginning of the incident.

"No one had any idea what was going on for 15 or 20 minutes, there was no word from the London Underground staff," the witness said. "There was clearly no electricity to be had, except for the emergency lighting, and so we were basically left to ourselves."

Author: martytravels
Date: 07/07/2005, 07:50 am
Eerily Madrid-like. Prayers for everyone in the UK, and I hope that everyone on this board in London or with friends/family members from London has heard from them.

Author: sherryb
Date: 07/07/2005, 07:51 am
Thoughts and prayers with all in London. I hope my husbands trip over there for Saturday gets canceled.

CNN now saying 3 bus explosions and 2 on trains. Washington DC trains being inspected now. No raised alert in the USA.

Stay brave all.

Date: 07/07/2005, 07:54 am
Scotland Yard supposedly reporting three blasts undergound and one on a bus (according to CNN) so the information is still very confusing and one wonders how accurate.

Author: amelie
Date: 07/07/2005, 07:56 am
This is awful, thoughts and prayers with those in London.

I was glad to see Tony Blair show some emotion. He seemed to be almost in tears.

Date: 07/07/2005, 07:59 am
CNN....all trains shut down...no buses inside central London....10 dead, 160 wounded...Kings Cross successfuly evacuted of all people..Madrid condemns savage attacks...all US transport systems on alert

Author: sbc98grad
Date: 07/07/2005, 08:03 am
Our thoughts are with you all as deal with the fear and confusion associated with these tragic incidents.

We are due to arrive in about two weeks for our belated honeymoon/first visit to the U.K.

Author: Byrd
To all in London,
We are watching with shock and horror as this terrible story unfolds.

Please know that our thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Be strong and be safe.

Thank you Caroline, still waiting to hear from some friends but then the mobile system has been shut down. Just heard that a friend of mine was on a tube train that filled with smoke. She's ok but shaken. So awful.

Author: Kavey ([email protected])
Date: 07/07/2005, 08:05 am
Kate, glad to hear your partner is safe.

Bookchick, thanks for calling to check on me. The calls I've received all morning have actually been very reaffirming and supportive.

I've heard from my sister and most friends that I know are working in town today.

I read elsewhere that Al Quaeda have claimed responsibility, though don't know if this is the case or, if it is, whether it's true.

Author: fun4all4
Date: 07/07/2005, 08:06 am
Our thoughts and prayers are with the British people right now. To those in London, safe travels home. Peace.

Author: wonton
Date: 07/07/2005, 08:11 am
I am scheduled to go on vacation to London tomorrow. British Airways says all flights are still scheduled to depart on time and that the Gatwick Express is operational. I am starting to wonder if I should cancel my trip.

Date: 07/07/2005, 08:12 am
Airports are not affected and are all located outside of London. You must go on holiday, terrorists cannot be allowed to influence our daily lives.

Author: Bokhara
Date: 07/07/2005, 08:13 am
David & the other UK posters - many thanks for keeping us up-to-date with what's happening on the ground in London.

Thoughts & prayers with you from Sydney - 10.15pm.

Author: SandyBrit
Date: 07/07/2005, 08:22 am
I just heard the sad news. My prayers go out to everyone in London.

This brings back terrible memories. I sit here with tears streaming down my face. I agree with SiobhanP if necessary walk away from the city. My son did that in NYC. He said you can not imagine the vast number of people on the streets just walking away from the turmoil and chaos.

I will talk to family in U.K. later.

Sandy

Author: monicapileggi
Date: 07/07/2005, 08:25 am
What terrible news. Kavey, I'm glad to see you and others from London posting here! I emailed you 2-3 weeks ago and haven't heard from you. I hope I had your correct email address.

Anyway, be safe and be careful! This world is just now safe anymore.

My prayers go out to you all in London!

Monica

Date: 07/07/2005, 08:26 am
Tony Blair leaving for London now..stood with leaders of G8 a few minutes ago and condemned the attacks and said they would not succeed...alert level in USA being evaluated...some new Al Qaeda group claiming responsibility to a German newspaper..President Bush getting ready to speak CNN is saying.

Not sure if I should continue to update from the US or if this bothers the readers in the UK?

Author: dan_woodlief
Date: 07/07/2005, 08:27 am
My thoughts and prayers go out to all of you in London right now. I am sure so many of you were so excited about getting the Olympics yesterday, and now this horrible tragedy. It seems like Spain all over again.

Author: Cassandra
Date: 07/07/2005, 08:28 am
Fascinating to arise on East Coast USA and, having heard the news, scroll through these posts to see the unfolding of announcements and discoveries. Thanks, London Fodorites, for sharing what you know at such a tense time (good news, Kate). It's all too resonant for Americans -- the chaos, the inability to communicate with loved ones, the infuriating vagueness of official reports.

Please do keep us posted -- even if we are getting reports on our news media, the personal and local information is more compelling.

With earnest wishes for safety of all.

Date: 07/07/2005, 08:29 am
sherryb you go ahead and keep us posted - it's always good to get different perspectives and to know how the rest of the world is reporting this outrage.

Date: 07/07/2005, 08:32 am
WONTON: Tragically, London is well used to terrorist attacks. This is far from the biggest we've suffered (although it is a new type of attack).

You will be very safe here. If you have never been to London you probably have no idea how big it is - the bombs on the tube were in places that were a long way apart - ie most of London isn't damaged. We are long resigned to clearing up the debris and getting on with our lives.

In fact this is probably the safest time to come - vigilence will be at it's highest.

The close-down of the tube is a MAJOR pain in the arse , but it will short lived, as will the suspension of bus-services.

The other major problem we are likely to find is that stations will be closed at the slightest suspicion of anything untoward or sinister, but you can always work around this - the all round public transport network offers more than one way to get to most places that a tourist would go.

Put it this way - if you would be happy to go to New York, Sydney, Copenhagen, then you should be happy to come here. (those cities are in countries specifically threatened in the Al-Quaeda website claiming responsibility)

In all honesty London was a more dangerous place in the mid 70s. Please come.

Author: starspinners
Date: 07/07/2005, 08:33 am
Thank you for the updates, London friends.
You are close in my thoughts today as you wait to hear from loved ones, it is an agonizing thing.
My husband was in Washington DC on 9/11 , he had a meeting scheduled at the Pentagon that morning.
The phone lines there , too, were overwhelmed and I was not able to make contact with him for 10 hours.

Date: 07/07/2005, 08:33 am
Yes, sherryb, keep your reports coming. It's great to hear that people around the world are witness to what's happening here.

People have been advised to stay in their offices rather than start walking home yet - I don't think the security services want the streets filled with people. It's eerily quiet on the streets here in London Bridge.

Date: 07/07/2005, 08:34 am
Pres. Bush speaking now....offers condolences to the people of London...solidarity with the UK...US Homeland security to be extra vigilant as our people head to work...he seems mad (!) talking about killers and people with eveil in their heart as the G8 leaders try to rid the world of AIDS and poverty..find and bring them to justice. The G8 meetings will continue.

Author: Sarvowinner
Date: 07/07/2005, 08:35 am
My thoughts go out to you in London. We truly live in a Global village. I only received confirmation for rooms from the Ibis London City (owned by Accor) right at Aldgate East station today. My husband works for Accor in Australia. Accor lost the Sofitel (another Accor hotel) and many staff in Khao Lak Thailand with the Tsunami. Just so much tragedy - it so hard when it is natural but so horrific when it is perpetuated by people on people.

Date: 07/07/2005, 08:36 am
Wonton, only you can decide whether you should carry on with your travel plans - it‘s almost certain that things won‘t be back to `normal‘ for quite some time with disruption to our transport services likely for the foreseeable future. However, London is a huge city, the British are at their best at a time like this and there will be 7 million Londoners trying to go about their business as usual. I have just spoken to my sister in Sydney who will be shortly leaving for the airport for her long awaited month long holiday here. Picking her up from Heathrow is going to be a challenge but the idea of not coming didn’t enter her head!

Author: MaureenGP
Date: 07/07/2005, 08:38 am
All of you in London are in my heart today, and I send you my best wishes and prayers. I hope you all get home safely, in whatever way you can manage.
My daughter and I are flying to London later this month for a vacation--and even though my mother called me this morning at 6 o'clock in total panic--be assured that we will not let terrorism change our travel plans. We are still going to cross the pond in order to enjoy, and support, your great city.
I have been advised before against traveling abroad--many years ago it was because of Basque terrorists when we went to Madrid; then it was some kind of demonstrations in Rome, and on our first trip to England, it was the mad cow disease. People cautioned us against going for one reason or another. We went anyway, and had a wonderful time and treasure our memories of each trip.
I can't tell anybody else what to do, but I don't think we can let the bad guys win.
I love life, and believe firmly that each day is a gift. But you can choose to live your life fully, or live it in fear. Better that I am blown up by a terrorist while enjoying the history and architecture of London than die in my bed of old age listing all of my regrets and wishing I had seen the world. Peace to all of you....

Date: 07/07/2005, 08:38 am
Secret Group of Europe Al Qaeda" is claiming responsibilty...had been planning a long time....website mentioned (unnamed) being checked out. Scotland Yard seems to think it's legit...patterns and style of Al Qaeda similar....all of Europe on alert now...cell phone and land lines overloaded...

Date: 07/07/2005, 08:40 am
website saying Italy and Denmark should withdraw troops from Iraq.....damn those maniacs for doing this! Now I am mad! All those innocent people. UGH!

Author: Robdaddy
Date: 07/07/2005, 08:41 am
Ben Haines, would you please let us hear from you?

Author: kybourbon
Date: 07/07/2005, 08:42 am
The London mayor is in Singapore and was just on Fox news and will be heading back to London shortly. He said Londoners will not be divided by this attack. Arab news is reporting Al Qaeda is claiming responsiblity.

Author: MaureenGP
Date: 07/07/2005, 08:47 am
PS: I forgot to mention that our hotel is at Russell Square. I promise to respect the tragedy that has occurred in that area, but I believe one of the best ways to honor the dead and injured is to refuse to bow to this intimidation.
I also believe that the decision on whether to travel now is a very personal one, and if one is going to be truly afraid, then it is a waste of your time, money, and emotional energy to do so. My reaction is strictly a personal one, and may not suit everybody else. I don't even feel defiant--just determined not to let these people affect what I do.

Author: Patrick
Date: 07/07/2005, 08:47 am
Oh, my god. I never turned on a TV this morning and once again Fodors has become my source of news.

My prayers and thoughts are with all in London.

Author: cassidy2002
Date: 07/07/2005, 08:48 am
Thoughts and prayers are with you all in London this morning.....I don't understand this violence. As I'm sure everyone else here does not understand it as well. God bless......

Author: gracie04
Date: 07/07/2005, 08:48 am
To everyone in London, residents and tourists alike, my thoughts and prayers go out to you.

Author: swalter518
Date: 07/07/2005, 08:51 am
Hope you and all your loved ones are safe. We are praying for you.

Date: 07/07/2005, 08:51 am
Maureen, you go girl. You are showing true British spirit in the face of adversity. Please accept an honorary citizenship

Author: wonton
Date: 07/07/2005, 08:53 am
Thank you for the responses. At this point I think I will continue my trip as planned.

My thoughts and prayers are with everyone involved.

Date: 07/07/2005, 08:56 am
I understand the determination and sentiment but I am so mixed. Just last night I posted about London then went and bought a pocket guide with the train maps for my husband. He is scheduled to leave Boston for London Saturday morning but my first instinct is DON'T GO! Just very mixed about his trip now even though I don't want these maniacs to feel they win if he doesn't go. Does that make sense?

Seeing the people involved speak is moving. They are confused, saddened and angry this has happened. But also very determined to pick up and forge ahead.

Author: sansman
Date: 07/08/2005, 08:06 am
No reason not to go. London is probably safer than anywhere else right now.

Old Jul 8th, 2005, 05:36 AM
sj

topping
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 05:43 AM

Excellent, thank you Sarvowinner!

Until Fodor's decides to reinstate it (if they do) we can read these heartfelt responses to the tragedy.

If they remove it again, I have it saved in Word to repost.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 06:17 AM

ttt
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 07:01 AM

ttt
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 08:00 AM

ttt

my thoughts and prayers remain with all in and around London Deborah
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 08:04 AM

Honestly wish someone had saved it in its entirety.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 08:05 AM
Cassandra

Thanks for doing this -- I'm guessing once Fodors deletes something, even they can't recover it.

Old Jul 8th, 2005, 08:27 AM

Probably so.
I have saved both parts on my hard drive in a word document if we need it.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 08:31 AM

ttt
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 09:13 AM

Thanks!
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 09:36 AM

Thx sarvowinner
I believe I missed the thread yesterday (distracted and trying to check on some London friends - all OK!)
My deepest sympathies to the UK and especially to Londoners. I have been to the UK and London many times - this incident will not even make me hesitate about going back.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 01:34 PM
GreenEyedCatWoman

I am one more among the many who have been shocked and horrified by the events in London on 7/7. I am praying for the great city and all of its people.

I agree with those who say London is probably the safest place on the planet to be right now. The terrorists are cowards who only strike at sleeping dogs. Once security is heightened they back off.

Well, right or wrong, that's my theory. That's how it looks to me.

Heartfelt thanks to the folks who rescued this moving thread from oblivion, and to those who directed me to it from another thread.

Old Jul 8th, 2005, 01:50 PM

I wasn't home yesterday and didn't see the post that was deleted.
Please allow me to express my sorrow for the bombings and to thank sarvowinner for copying the thread.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 02:09 PM
rex

<<London is probably the safest place on the planet to be right now. The terrorists are cowards who only strike at sleeping dogs.>>

Someone raised the issue yesterday of whether any prescience was involved when a "prediction" was made, regarding the likelihood of an attack against London.

So, if someone is to look like a genius for "predicting an attack", I'll make a prediction that a significant attack will occur in/on Washington, DC...

...when? ummm... in the future, I suppose.

I don't think any keeps track of predictions made that lie dormantly unfulfilled for months, years or longer.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 02:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Britain, and London in particular,was no "sleeping dog". They were expecting something and have been alert for many, many years. Security in London was high for many years before 911 thanks to the IRA. That this attack was so devastating highlights how difficult it is to recognize who are the terrorists among us.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 03:51 PM

frankly, I think there's a lot more censorship going on than just Fodor's
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 04:08 PM

Barbara-although well meaning, your statement about security in London is overly generalized, and not really accurate. It is a fact now, that, for whatever inexplicable reason, the British lowered, yes, LOWERED their threat level in the run-up to G8. It should have been at its highest level. That would never have happened in this country. It simply doesn't make sense, and following on the inexcusable security lapses at Westminster last year, many folks in the USG who deal in homeland defense issues are "low-key astonished" might be one way of describing it.

There are way too many terrorists- in- the- making in England in general and the London area in particular. Quite simply, their intelligence services are not getting the job done.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

Notwithstanding the horrific results of the explosions, I am amazed at how much more damage was not inflicted. When the London response is compared to the Madrid response, you must admire the systems that had previously been put in place.
As an aside, Spygirl - you are certainly in your element here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -