Search

London Trip

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2004, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London Trip

This may seem silly, however, I'm an African (Black)-American (born and raised) thinking about taking a trip to London in Nov. or Dec. and I wanted to know the level of racial tolerance in London. I'm aware that the city is diverse and has an African population, but that does not necessarily mean tolerance and acceptance.

I know that European cities are known to be more accepting of diversity than even are U.S. cities, and I'm sure that I'd be fine in London (as I can take care of myself), but is there any part of town that I should avoid where people of color are not welcome?

Don't laugh because there are some parts of U.S. cities, UNFORTUNATELY, where it would be unwise for a person of color to go, so I ask this question of any place I visit in the world.

Lastly, are there any nightspots that are particularly diverse or parts of town that epitomize, appreciate, and celebrate diversity?

Thanks!
Old Oct 23rd, 2004, 07:09 PM

Hi itravelsome. I'm of South Asian origin and was in London earlier this year. I wasn't particularly thinking about discrimination but I didn't face any, though I'm not a night club kind of person, and don't know about those. One thing did strike me though ...
In many respects, it felt like NewYork, only 10 times more cosmopolitan and with a 100 times more history (can you tell I adored it yet?).
The diversity there is incomparable to anywhere in the US, or atleast that was my impression from my 2 week work+leisure stay, and it took my breadth away. Atleast in the more touristy areas (and the business districts as well), you won't have any problems.
Go. Have fun!!
Old Oct 23rd, 2004, 09:39 PM

Fifty years ago notices on pub doors often said No dogs, gypsies, or blacks, the British fascist party was making a small revival, and a cabinet minister of the Conservative party spoke against immigration, to say he foresaw rivers of blood. The government, the liberal press and television writers, and most of all the school teachers then set out for mass public reform, and they got it. No pub would put up such a notice: any that tried would lose their licence, and be subject to prosecution under the Race Relations Act. There is still a far right party, or rather several, as their leaders quarrel to be top, and these parties become smaller and more numerous. These parties now say they are against immigration by asylum seekers, who they say are coming really to get jobs, but many of the people they speak against are whites from the Balkans. Around the ges of six and seven little children learn about the festivals of ll the great religions, such as the festival of lights at Diwali and the Eid at the end of Ramadan.

Across Britain black Britons are famous for skills at football, music, and dress design. The health service is full of nurses and doctors from beyond Europe. So far so good, but there is now serious work, for example in the London police force, to bring on the careers of black people, and we do see fairly senior black police officers. In the city (the business area) people come from across the world: we make our huge invisible exports of financial services by having companies with people who know and understand the whole world.

I can think of nowhere in London where we do not welcome black tourists ? and their money. Aged 67, I am no judge of nightspots, but what I have read says that that blacks are welcome at any, so long as they are well dressed. By that I mean dressed in current style, not dressed for a day in the office. Since there is a popular link between the idea black and the idea dressed in style I think entry may be easier for you than for a visiting white. I do not know whether any celebrate diversity with a policy to encourage black visitors. I doubt it, as they would be sailing close to the law, but I think you could get ideas from the Net. There are useful links at http://www.londonnet.co.uk/ln/out/ent/clubs-theend.html
and club reviews and other notes at http://www.londonnet.co.uk/ln/out/ent/clubs.html/.

As to diverse areas, there is a weight of south Asians in Brick Lane (north of Aldgate East tube station), Southhall (along the line 20 minutes from Paddington), and Woolwich (along the line 15 minutes from London Bridge). With a weight of black Britons are Brixton (splendid market and good music shops) and Peckham (two dozen black pentacostal churches). I am sorry I do not know names for similar places in north London. If you window shop or have a pub lunch in Islington Angel tube, then north) or Chelsea (Sloane Square then a bus west) you will see how the young rich have taken the world s cultures for their own.

I find it harder to think of London places that have no diversity. The nearest I can come to one is Epsom (train from Waterloo): you could go there to see how we used to look.

I am afraid I am white, so cannot testify from the receiving end of racism, but what I have written is what I have seen. Please write if I can help further. Welcome to my city.

[email protected]

Old Oct 25th, 2004, 06:29 AM

You are quite safe in all of central London, some suberbs such as Eltham, Peckham and parts of East London are best avoided
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 08:41 AM

"Don't laugh because there are some parts of U.S. cities, UNFORTUNATELY, where it would be unwise for a person of color to go, so I ask this question of any place I visit in the world."

Then you will find London a breath of fresh air. Welcome to our town, and I hope you have a fabulous visit.
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 08:53 AM

Hi! I'm afraid that as a white woman I'm not really in a position to comment on what it's like to be black in London but by all accounts we're considered to be an extremely racially tolerant city. I actually live in Brixton, traditionally one of the 'blackest' areas of the city but now getting toward a 50:50 mix - and doing so very peacefully.

I can't think of any area that you 'shouldn't' go. I think - and hope - that you'll be pleasantly surprised when you see how people won't even notice your colour.

There are bound to be some great websites around; do a bit of a Google search with regard to your interests.

Have fun!
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 08:54 AM

By the way, here's a BBC article on the promotion of Brixton as a tourism centre exploring black British history and culture. It says there's now a publication produced by London Tourism related to black culture in the capital, but I couldn't find it!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/3068973.stm
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 06:30 AM

I live in a VERY racially mixed area - Kilburn. Now, I'm not suggesting you come and visit, as it's certainly not an attractive part of the tourist trail (just an average suburb), but just to give you an idea...

I live in a converted church (anglican). Part of the church is still operational, and boasts a largely black congregation. Immediately opposite is an orthodox jewish primary school. 100 yards down the road is an islamic junior school. 100 yards the other way is a Hindu temple. Add to that a large immigrant Irish population, a swathe of southern Indian and Caribbean restaurants catering to the local community, and rival preachers on the Kilburn High Road competing for attention on a Saturday afternoon (one trying to attract people to the Pentecostal church, the other urging young black passers-by to join the Nation of Islam), and you'll probably be surprised to hear that in all my years here I've never observed any racial tension (to my knowledge, obviously).

I'm not saying London has reached some kind of multicultural utopia, but compared to most cities you'll find in the world, we're doing ok.
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 08:33 AM

I'm Black American and London is one of my favorite cities (been there 4 times in the last 8 years). ITravelSome, you will definitely enjoy it. I never felt uncomfortable or treated differently...London is very cosmopolitan with a pretty decent sized African and Carribean-descent population. Do check out the new exhibit at the V&A (Victoria & Albert museum) called "Black British Style". http://www.vam.ac.uk/vastatic/micros...british_style/. I also second the advice to visit Brixton which used to be a bastion of Carribean culture in London (although the last time I was there it seemed to become gentrified with a new Body Shop store on the high street). Good luck and enjoy!
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 08:46 AM

In all fairness, I am a white female and there are some parts of US cities where I would not be welcome either. Neither blacks nor whites has a monopoly on racism.
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 08:48 AM

ErinS: Listen, I get off tube every night and head straight for the Marks and Spencers food section, never mind Body Shop!! Brixton is still great though, I'd be hard pushed to live anywhere else now.
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 12:53 PM

i am not black so i cannot comment first hand...

however, in london, i notice a lot of little things that i would not expect to see in the US. for example, if a white person enters a bus or the tube, they seem to equally to choose to sit with a black person (including young black males) as with a white person.

in the US, there is a lot more fear of the black male that is at the heart of racism. this is no comment on how or why this is so in the US but just to say that i don't see that sort of fear in the UK. As a result there seems to be much more trust and harmony.

because of the long history of racial tension in the US, you see the extremes of racism and overblown policical correct-ness. As other posters mentioned, in england, race is less of an issue...you will be less likely to experience racism and or the awkward reaction to racism that we see in the extremes of the polical correct movement.
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 07:38 PM

Have you spent time in New York City? London is similar, though lots better in many ways. I have African American friends living and London in London who will never move back to the States, except to visit. It isn't just the London environment, but the opportunities to go to Spain for the weekend if they want (and for a tiny sum of money too), to send their kids to college for reasonable fees, and to fit comfortably on a daily basis in bigger society.

I also can't help too much on nightspots, but your appearance can tip the balance (and by that I mean manner of dress) at both clubs and restaurants. For ideas, try one of the TimeOut guides or Itchy London: The Insider's Guide (eating/drinking/ shopping/ clubbing by neighborhood). I bought this last one in London, but they have a website: www.itchylondon.co.uk.