Americans in London

Mar 10th, 2003, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Americans in London

IS it safe for Americans to travel to London witin the next 2 weeks.
Mar 10th, 2003, 01:04 PM

I'm sorry but I don't know what kind of reassurance you are looking for.

Statistics on death and injuries in routine traffic accidents or by violent crime or from disease are much higher than death or injury due to terrorism (perhaps with the exception of the Middle East) if that's what you're thinking about. Will those odds make you feel better if you are the victim of terrorism, or even the victim of a accident or incident at home? I don't think so.
You have to do what you are comfortable with.
I live in New York where "orange alert" is a way of life. I am not an alarmist, but when I leave home every day I make sure the pet has a 3-day supply of food and water, and I carry a small flashlight in my purse always. That's my concession to the times we live in.
Going most other places doesn't make me feel more in danger, at least not yet, but that's me. The one thing I might perhaps avoid is traveling in a large group. But I tend not to do that anyway.
Mar 10th, 2003, 09:30 PM

I find Americans charming. I don't think Americans are at a greater risk to terrorism in London compared to the average Londoner.

About a month ago, there was an American student who was stabbed in Hackney. It was a sad story.
Mar 10th, 2003, 09:44 PM

My neighbor just got back from London and said the usual intense security was at the airport but everything around London seemed calm.
Don't forget, the Brits are used to this and guns are prohibited in England, with few (hunting) exceptions.
Don't give the enemies the power!
Go, enjoy and drive on the left side of the street!Better yet, walk...it's faster!!!
Mar 11th, 2003, 01:05 AM

Tourists are most at risk of accidents as pedestrians unfamiliar with vehicular traffic moving in opposite direction to home system. I have been grabbed by a local as I was about to get into a crossing with a car coming! Later I waited for someone crossing with baby buggy and joined her. Mind the traffic!
Mar 11th, 2003, 03:25 AM

Come, and have a good holiday!

As in the case that Hiroshi mentioned, horrible things can happen to anyone, anywhere, but you really are at no more risk than the people who live here.

As mentioned, watch out for the traffic, take care of your wallet while on the Tube & in town (for pickpockets), use the same street-smarts that you would in a US city and (touch wood) you'll won't have any problems.

Mar 11th, 2003, 05:20 AM

You really don't have anything to worry about ... unless you run into that raving lunatic Jimbo.
Mar 11th, 2003, 05:25 AM

Why wouldn't it be? I live in DC and would rather be in London. Not that I worry too much at all - if something is going to happen, there is nothing I can do about it anyway.

Have a great trip. I was there in January and fell in love with it.
Mar 11th, 2003, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

I appreciate all your responses. I have been to London many times and love it there, it is my favorite place. Right now there is so much pending with war, I'm unsure if we could get home if war did break out.
Mar 11th, 2003, 12:18 PM

I'm sure you could probably get home, although the possibility exists that you would be delayed a few days.

We had a trip planned to London for the end of February/ beginning of March. I was all excited to go, but my mom and aunt were also going were terrified to go. I was very upset to have to cancel, but if we had still gone they would have been looking over their shoulder every second and that would not be any fun. Its just one of those decisions that you will have to make. I still wish we would have gone- I take comfort in knowing that we will be there in October (for sure, this time). The travel industry is hurting right now too- we are finding ever betters deals this time around!
Mar 11th, 2003, 01:34 PM

While in London, you will be safer than in almost any large US city. As an American, you will be no less or more safe than any other nationality (just remember to look right instead of left before stepping off the curb).

Regarding travel to London, I personally don't think there will be any major disruption if war breaks out. Probably there will be increased security measures, but flights would be cancelled only if intelligence sources indicated a severe risk of terrorist activity.
Mar 12th, 2003, 06:42 AM

We are leaving for London two weeks from today. I am very excited! I've felt safe in London on every trip. I'm not expecting things to be any different this time around. Erin, so sorry you had to cancel your trip.
Mar 12th, 2003, 08:40 AM

Let's think about this.

New Orleans - population 484,000. Murders in 2001 = 213 (source FBI).

Houston - population 2 million. Murders in 2001 = 267 (source FBI).

London - population 7.3 million. Murders in the year ending Mar 2002 = 190. (Source Metropolitan Police).

Americans continue to obsess about tiny risks from terrorism when in fact crime and disorder in your own cities poses a much much greater risk to the lives of US citizens.
Mar 12th, 2003, 09:30 AM

I am leaving 2 weeks from tomorrow and I am more concerned about the wait time in the airport than I am for my safety in London.
Mar 12th, 2003, 09:32 AM
DK

There are tons of Americans living here right now - just be safe and aware of your surroundings - as you would in any other country, including the US. Enjoy!

Search this Thread