Wineries near Oia Santorini

Mar 14th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Wineries near Oia Santorini

We will be visiting Oia Santorini for 4 days in June. We would like to visit a winery or 2.

Would Boutari and Sigalas wineries be interesting and have pretty settings for a vist?

We will not have a car. How do you suggest we get to these places?

Are their other wineries nearby that we should consider?

Thank you for the infromation.
Laurie
Mar 14th, 2009, 11:10 AM

The Vedema Resort, a luxury hotel built around a 400-year-old winery, often holds wine tastings. Also on site, is their amazing restaurant, VinSanto,(spelling?) which pairs the chef's incredible creations to certain wines from their cellar. We were treated to a meal there last May, and it was wonderful. It would be perfect for special birthday or anniversary celebration, as it's very expensive! Anyway, you might call ahead and see when the wine tastings are offered. The resort is about a 20 minute taxi ride from Oia; maybe 15 minutes from Fira. And there is a bus that circles the island. It may very well stop near the village of the hotel.
Mar 14th, 2009, 11:24 AM

Wow, I'd hate to be a passenger in a taxi that can make it from Oia to Fira in 5 minutes! That's at least 15 minutes by car, 25 minutes by bus. From Fira to Megalochori where Vedema is located is another 10-15 minutes.

Sigalas is an award-winning winery in Oia, but I wouldn't say the setting is all that 'pretty', although by that I don't mean to say that it's ugly either, just sort of neutral. There is, however, a nice view of the sea in the distance but it's not of the caldera.

Santo Winery in Pyrgos has the most attractive location. You can take a bus to Fira and catch another bus that will take you there.

For a special treat while you're in Oia, go to the Laokasti Restaurant and ask the owner Spiro for a taste of his home-made wines. The 'half-sweet' and 'sweet' wines are really tasty. The basic barrel white wine he and his brother make is a bit rough, but I know I'm in Greece when I'm drinking a glass! (This is not to be confused with the mass-produced house wine he serves by the glass or carafe.)
Mar 14th, 2009, 11:55 AM

Hmm, LOL, am I wrong? I was talking opposite directions for those taxi cab rides from Vedema. It seemed to take us 20 minutes to Oia and a little less than that to Fira. But maybe it was the wine?!
Mar 14th, 2009, 12:10 PM

Well, you know what "they" say: "Time flies.............etc."
Mar 14th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for your suggestions, Weadles and Brotherleelove.

What about the Boutari Winery? Is is easy to get there from Oia?

How long would it take to reach the Santo Winery from Oia?
Should we make a reservation?

Thank again for your help! Laurie
Mar 14th, 2009, 12:37 PM

With the bus change in Fira expect to take at least an hour by bus.

An appoitment won't be necessary. "SantoWines Oenotourism Canter is open from April to the end of November, from 10 in the morning till sunset." It's basically the same at Boutari, which you can reach by taking the bus to Megalochori.
Mar 14th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Brotherleelove, I think we will take the bus to both of these wineries.

Laurie
Mar 14th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

We may consider taking this private winery tour.

https://www.mysantorini.com/content/...3/374/lang,en/

It is 50 Euro per person including lunch and a 6 hour tour.

Do you think this would be worth the money?
Mar 14th, 2009, 02:04 PM

It's not something I'd do so I can't say.
Mar 17th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Original Poster

I emailed the company about this tour and it costs 50 Euro based on a van load of 6 people. This makes this tour way out of what we are willing to pay. So, I guess we will take buses like you originally suggested. Thank you!
Mar 23rd, 2009, 06:07 AM

The winery near Oia has no view at all so it won't be a good idea to visit that. My own favourite is Santo Wines in Pyrgos because it has a beautiful view and a store with traditional Greek products from all over Greece. You can also stay there for a cup of coffee or to taste the wines and then buy a bottle or two. Here is a website with all the wineries in Santorini.
http://www.greek-islands.us/santorin...ines-wineries/
Mar 23rd, 2009, 11:03 AM

Does every attraction have to come with the view? If you can live without it for a little while, if wine tasting is important to you, don't discount the wines at Sigalas. They are excellent and certainly worth your time and consideration.
Mar 30th, 2009, 02:17 PM

Laurie,

We were in Santorini in June 2007. Overall, I don't think the Greek wine compares to California or Italian wine, however, the views and beauty and generousity of the people more than make up for it. I have the most outstanding picture of my husband and I at Antoniou Winery. This was a winery that we passed on the way from Oia to Perissa beach each day. We were the only ones there and got to sample quite a few wines overlooking a bay at a table by ourselves. Take a look at the view in this picture that I found online. http://cruises.about.com/library/pic...lgreece009.htm

I would highly recommend it. Also, a very popular and inexpensive way to get around is to rent a quad. This could very well be less expensive than that tour and allow you to go directly from winery to winery.

Have fun. Santorini is probably the most beautiful place I've ever been.
Mar 30th, 2009, 03:11 PM

I've done a wine tasting at Sigalas at sunset and it was really nice, they have mezes you can order and a tasting sampler of wine. It's not a fancy place and it's not on the caldera but it does have great wine and a view of the sea.

I also agree with the above suggestion about Antoniou it's a small place with great wine and a terrific view. I'm not sure if they still do it but last time I was there they were setting up a sunset tasting with meze for a couple, I got the impression they will only do it if booked ahead and only for a few people.
Mar 31st, 2009, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your suggestions for the many wineries on Santorini. The link to the website with a list of all the wineries was a big help.

We don't need a view to visit a winery. We just consider a winery with a view to be a bonus.

We will plan to visit the Sigalas Winery. I hear that they have very good quality wine and that is important to us too.

Thanks again! Laurie