Santorini food, restaurants and wine

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are going to Santorini in September. We love the high end foodie experience, but on this trip we're not looking for the fanciest dining experience. I'd like recommendations about where to go for the freshest, most authentic food, with an emphasis on local ingredients and food. We'll be renting a house in Oia, but will be renting a car. Would love some ideas for: authentic tavernas/Greek food, seafood - Ammoudi Bay restaurants, other restaurants that make Santorini worth the trip or are unique, and info about greek wines and wineries, and overall great dining experiences. Thanks!
Old May 25th, 2011, 01:04 PM

We just got back from our first trip to Greece and Santorini. One day we rented a car and saw Ancient Thira and then visited 4 wineries. We often go wine tasting so this was big on our list of things to do.

Volcan Wines near Kamari - Museum/Tour was really neat, underground caves with almost Disney like electronic puppet/scenes with an audio you listened to. 7Euro per person and you also tasted 4 wines. We then went to Canava Roussos, just down the road more towards the town of Kamari and Ancient Thira. Cute patio that we tasted at and 1.50 Euro per tasting. Vinsanto and another dessert wine was good here. We also went to Santos, it's a little too commercialized compared to the rest but you can't beat the caldera view while wine tasting! This was just near the new port and we got the 6 wines with the cheese platter. Can't recall the price, but for quality of wines I preferred the others over this. Lastly we went to Gavalas Winery in MEGALOCHORI, you'll see signs as you drive that way for it. This was smaller then the other wineries but we liked the wines here the best. Boutari (I think that's right) was also on my list we just didnt' make it there.

As for food, we didn't eat at many authentic places but the food at Ellis in Thira was really good and in Oia we ate lunch at a place called Thalami, the sign on the restaurant (non caldera side) was of an octupus and it was right by the steps that lead down to the port. Though I'm not sure if it was the port of Ammoudi Bay or Armeni. We had just walked from Thira (3 hours!) and it was one of the restaurants that came up first once we got into the shopping area.
We could see the Ambrosia Restaurant from our seats if that helps. We ate viewing the sea and really enjoyed the meatballs and Fried tomato fritters.

For a splurge we ate at Nectar and Ambrosia (based off reviews here and on TA) and the appetizers were amazing, my main dish was good but not amazing, Nectars Oven Lamb stuffed with cheese and peppers. It was similar to something I had earlier in the trip and it was a bit dry here. This restaurant doesn't have the open sea view that their sister restaurant Ambrosia has, but it has a nice atmosphere and a great view of the full moon the night we were there. For apps we got the Santorini Feta (feta in phyllo dwith honey) and Vinsanto sauteed mushrooms.

I'm now hungry and miss Greece!
Enjoy!
Old May 25th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

stacmel,
Thanks so much for the all the great ideas, especially the winery info.
I've heard that there are several good restaurants in Pyrgos - has anyone been?
I feel so fortunate that I'll get to spend seven days on magical Santorini
Packmybags
Old May 25th, 2011, 09:35 PM

Thalami is at the top of the steps to Armeni. Kastro is at the top of the steps to Amoudi and is worth a try. Santorini Mou in Oia is a fun place with live music at night. Laokasti in Oia does not get the credit it deserves for good, traditional Greek food prepared with fresh local ingredients.
Old May 26th, 2011, 02:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We stayed in Oia last August and ate twice at the Blue Sky Taverna. It's on a side street leading off the main walking path, if you head off the path towards the bus station you should be able to find it. Nothing fancy but good food.

We found you pay more for restaurants with the fabulous caldera view but don't necessarily get better food. By the way the gyros place at the bus station (right where the bus stops) serves cheap delicious food, takeaway or sit at a little table across the square.

Kay
Old May 30th, 2011, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!
Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 11:05 PM

I'll second Thalami in Oia. We enjoyed several meals there during our trip. Not gourmet but traditional Greek cuisine. The lamb with lemon was delicious as were the stuffed tomatoes.
Old Jun 4th, 2011, 02:56 PM

When we were there a few years ago we rented an ATV for 2 days and one day on our way back to Oia from Red Rock Beach direction we made a right I think after Fira and drove down the Aegean sea side where it's less developed. This is a drive we still talk about because it was so pretty and quiet. Also we came across a lone taverna on a small pebbly beach that seemed to be visited by locals. We had fried calamari and some house wine. It was some of the best calarmari we ever had. We still talk about that too. I'm sorry I can't be more specific about the route but maybe you'll find it.
Old Jun 5th, 2011, 05:54 AM

I'm on Santorini at the moment, staying in Firostefani. Just off the "main square" is Il Cantuccio. This cozy atmospheric place is so good we're eating there again tonight. The husband cooks and his wife (from Sardinia) serves. Prices are reasonable especially in relation to the quality of cuisine. No caldera view.
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 07:10 PM

Robbietravels, if you are still there, are you happy with your decision to stay in Firostefani? We are booked at Villa Ilias for our trip in July but I have a colleague who just returned from Santorini & feels that staying at Imerovigli is a better choice. Any opinions? Pros v/s cons?
Hope you are having a wonderful time. Do provide input regarding your trip, restaurants etc when you return.
Thanks!
Old Jun 11th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Quark and Robbietravels, thanks for all the real time advice!
Counting down to September, when we'll be there.