Wine from Santorini

Apr 27th, 2007, 04:15 AM
Original Poster

Wine from Santorini

We frequent a wonderful Greek restaurant in New Jersey and have had great wine from Sigalas Wineries.

Does anyone know if we can have wine shipped back to the states since you can no longer bring bottles back as carry-on? I know that NJ does not allow it, but I would ship to my son in MA and then get it from him.

Also, I assume that there are bus stops near the wineries?
Apr 27th, 2007, 06:27 AM

To ship it home will cost you about 10 Euro per bottle. Since the wine is imported into New Jersey, you would do better by ordering it from your local vintner; he or she should be able to get a case for you with 2 days notice.

If the merchant refuses to order it for you, you need to think about changing merchants.

If you want to buy it in Greece, take it home in your checked luggage; bring bubble wrap with you from home to pack.
Apr 27th, 2007, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Wow - 10 euro a bottle - thats the cost of the bottle here in NJ. I think bubble wrapping it is the way to go. I had no idea it would be so much. Thanks for the reply
Apr 27th, 2007, 08:30 AM
littlebigshot

I've successfully brought back wine from Europe in checked luggage. Irap it very well in bubble or foam wrap and then put the whole package into two extra-large Ziploc bags as insurance in case it leaks. So far it's worked fine.

The Santorini whites can be wonderful, though they're hard to find in even Greece outside of Santorini.

You could ask the restaurant you mentioned where they get their wines. If their distributor doesn't sell them retail, they might be able to refer you to a store that does.

Apr 27th, 2007, 09:13 AM
J62

Years ago when I became with a restaurant manager I asked him to order me a case of some hard to find wine through his distributor. He paid the distributor, I paid him, and everybody (except perhaps the state tax board) was happy.
Apr 27th, 2007, 09:13 AM
J62

That would 'became friends with'
Apr 27th, 2007, 09:39 AM

I recently returned from Italy and brought back 7 bottles of wine (including a 97 Brunello) and 1 bottle of Limoncello. I asked the first wine shop i bought wine from if they ship to the US. They said yes, so i asked if I could buy the box that they used to ship.
I was able to get the box for 5 euros, and it had 6 Styrofoam cylinders inside that the wine fit down into and then cover them. I then checked the box as luggage. For the two other bottle i wrapped with bubble wrap and placed in the middle of my clothes in my luggage.

All bottles made the trip without incident.
Apr 27th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Does anyone know if the wineries will ship back to the US? I really enjoy the Sigalas Dry White wine. Its only $20 here, so I am not sure how much cheaper it will be there. Perhaps it won't be worth having it shipped or even lugging it back myself.
Apr 27th, 2007, 04:19 PM

you cannot ship wine into massachusetts. this darling state will not allow this. it peeves me muchly ass i would ship some great italian wines here but cannot.
Apr 27th, 2007, 04:49 PM

Wineries will probably ship anyplace; the question is if you are allowed to receive it in your state.