Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hiring Taxi for App. Eight Hours in Turkey

Apr 23rd, 2007, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

I am hoping that there is someone out there who can help me with this. I will be leaving for Turkey in approximately three weeks. (Traveling solo and unsure about doing it.) Since I will be doing the Bosphorus Cruise on another day -- I also feel a taxi would be easier and more time-efficient -- I would like to hire a taxi to take me to visit various places along the Bosphorus: Beylerbeyl Palace; possibly Goksu, which is not too far from Beylerbeyl; Sadberk Hanim Museum in Saryer, I believe it is; and lastly, spending a few hours in Ortakoy. I will be staying in the Taksim area. I will be doing this on a Friday, and would like to be at Beylerbeyl by 9:30, when the palace opens. I have no idea of the driving time for this whole trip or how much time is needed at each site. At some point, there will be lunch, but where or when, I have not the foggiest idea. My questions are: Is this doable in eight hours and what do you think would be a fair price for such a trip?
Whatever information anyone has regarding this would be most appreciative.
Thanks.
ellie
Apr 23rd, 2007, 12:06 PM

Hi Ellie,

Yes you can do it with lots of money. I recommend you first decide where you want to go because some of the places you mentioned are in the ASIAN side and some of them in EUROPIAN side. We have 2 bridge between these to side of continents.

Have a nice trip in Turkey

Sinan Akdeniz
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Hi Sinan,
Thanks for answering my question. Unless I have misunderstood what I have read, the furtherest point from Taksim is approximately 12 miles. I thought that I could do all of the sites mentioned in eight hours or so. I know some of the sites are on the Asian side and some are on the European side. Would that be a problem if I used a taxi? Would you have any idea how much a day like this would cost?
Thanks.
ellie
Apr 24th, 2007, 07:51 AM

I have NO Idea how much does it coast with taxi BUT I am going to show you area with film that I am going to create. I am going to post URL here when I upload film into my server.

Taxi driver do not drive to otherside of Istanbul if they do, they charge BOTH WAY which means you may pay DOUBLE FEES. Of course you are TOURIST they all WELCOME you to hire them for full 8 hours BUT I am sure that they charge you more then $250

Sinan
Apr 24th, 2007, 03:51 PM

Hi ellie,

Here is the film you can watch.

http://www.sinanakdeniz.com/ellen/ellen.html

Sinan Akdneiz
Apr 24th, 2007, 04:08 PM

Sinan,
That is amazing, and so sweet of you to do for someone you don't even know. Now we all know something about Turkey that we didn't know before. This makes me want to go to Turkey, where the people are so nice. Wow!
Apr 24th, 2007, 06:22 PM

Hi happytotravel,

You are also welcome to ask anything you want I would like to answer your question(s) if I know.
I am very happy that you decided to go to Turkey because of me.

welcome to Turkey

Sinan Akdeniz
Apr 25th, 2007, 03:58 AM

Hýmm,
You can ask your travel agent to assign you a minivan with driver and I assume it will be a lot cheaper than 250 Usd....

Its a thought...
Have fun in Istanbul

Murat
Apr 25th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Original Poster

Hi Sinan and Propertravel,
Thanks for your replies to my questions.
Yes, Sinan, that was very thoughtful of you to forward a map of the area. I have noticed that you have been very helpful to other posters on this site, and I am sure that they appreciated it.
Propertravel, I did request of a travel agency what this would cost. With all of the extras, eight hours would be between 250-300 USD. That is just a driver and using their smallest car. Not a fancy car.
When I get to my hotel I will speak with the concierge and/or one of the doormen. Maybe they can be of some help to me.
I am still open to any suggestions that anyone might have.
Since the distances are not that great -- Buyukdere, where Sadberk Hanim Museum is located, is the furtherest point from the hotel (it is approximately 10 miles - 16.5 km) -- I thought that I might take a taxi there, another taxi to Ortakoy, another taxi to Beylerbeyl Palace, and then the ferry back to Besiktas. At least I will not be paying for the time that I will be visiting each site, plus all of the other expenses. Hopefully, I will be able to get a taxi at Sadberk Hanim Museum and Ortakoy. As you can see, I am determined to do this.
Planning this one day is taking more time than all of my days that I am on my own before and after my tour combined.
Again, thanks for your suggestions.
ellie
Apr 26th, 2007, 03:27 AM

I have just checked with a friend in Istanbul and 8 hours private car with driver would cost you 200 Usd.

With a guide probably 300-320 Usd

Ofcourse entrances and lunch are extra....

Happy travelling

Murat
Apr 26th, 2007, 04:34 AM

Think about staying the Angel's Home hotel in Istanbul and ask them for their help in taking you places and picking you up. Nice guys, who seemed to have a good network of trustworthy friends. I imagine they could sort you out on excursions. My tip for Istanbul and Turkey generally.... enjoy less instead of trying to see everything. It is a "soaking in" kind of culture, not a place to try and tick off sights on your list. Flights are cheaper than they have ever been...you can always go back. Good luck.
Apr 26th, 2007, 05:43 AM

Travel agent friend has quoted following for 230 Usd;
ISTANBUL CITY TOUR Private Program

Breakfast at the hotel and visit to a small village by Bosporus called Beylerbeyi to visit the 19th century summer palace of the sultans. The Beylerbeyi Palace on the Asiatic shore was finished in 1865 and served as a summer residence. The building has 24 rooms and six big halls.Then drive along the bosphorus and visit to the Sadberk Hanim Ethnographical Museum. Stop for Lunch atů Restaurant. After lunch drive to the Ortakoy and have a free time.Then drive to the hotel.

*Beylerbeyi Palace is closed on Mondays and Thursdays

* Pick up time from hotel: 08.30
* Ending time: 16.30
INCLUDED SERVICES

* Private car and good driver,

* English speaking professional tour guide * Entry fees to the museums mentioned in the program

Happy Travelling,

Murat

Apr 27th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Hi missamericalondon and Murat,
I appreciate your replies.
Murat, I want to thank you for taking the time to get the information and getting back to me.
I have decided to wait until I arrive at the hotel where I am booked to see what is suggested. At least I now have various options as to handling the day.
It is the ferry schedule that is presenting a bit of a hassle. I might even have that worked out by going to Oskundar -- more frequent and earlier ferries -- and taking a five-minute taxi to Beylerbeyl Palace. From there I have choices.
I will be on my own in Istanbul 5 nites and with the tour group 4 nites. I believe I am allowing enough time to visit the various sites with ease.
Thank you again for your suggestions. As I said, it is really appreciated.
ellie