Reload this Page >

Turkey: Which Ruin to Chose-Suggestions Please

Sep 20th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

I have a 1-day stop on my upcoming cruise in Kusadasi, Turkey and 3 choices
there for an excursion - - each of which sounds great in Fodor's Turkey. I
could use some feedback. Should i chose (1) ephesus; (2) priene, mileus and didyma
or (3) aphrodisias? thank you for your input
Sep 21st, 2009, 01:26 AM

Definitely Ephesus.

I also recommend the following:
- find a friend or two to go with you
-instead of an organized tour, take either a private one or just take taxi to the upper gate of the ruins and get one of the licensed guides there to guide you.
- visit the terraced houses (separate entrance fee)
- take some water and munchies with you (available at entrance). (you may also give some to the stray cats of Ephesus)
- If you went there by taxi, take another taxi at bottom gate, to selcuk town (5 min.) to visit Selcuk Museum and St. John's basilica and eat (possibly at restaurant of Bella hotel, across from the basilica).
- If you also wanted to visit the retreat of Virgin Mary, you would probably need a private guided tour because it is some distance from Selcuk.
- If you are doing yourself, return to Kusadasi is very simple and cheap by Dolmus minibus. Just ask at restaurant or at the sites.
Sep 21st, 2009, 02:40 AM

Ephesus is a must. Nearby Ephesus, about a five minute drive is the ruins of the Temple of Artemis/Diana one of the ancient wonders of the world. For some reson or another it does not seem to be included in tours so I made my own way there with the taxi I engaged to take me to the ruins of Ephesus.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/g...id=13257303699

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_of_Artemis
Sep 21st, 2009, 02:50 AM

Forgot to add I was on a cruise with a half day stop at Kusadasi and instead of the organised ship tour I got a taxi at the harbour which worked out cheaper than the ships tour.

The taxi will take you wherever you wish to go and not expensive.It dropped me at the main entrance to the ruins and when I finished and exited the ruins at the other end the taxi was waiting. Then to temple of Artemis which I requested.

They will want to stop at carpet factories and jewellery shops etc. I did,'nt mind in fact found it quite interesting and there was no pressure to purchase anything.

The coins people will try to sell you as ancient coins are of course fake. Statues of Diana are reasonable in price but a little haggling will not go amiss.

Try the Turkish apple tea and buy a packet to bring home with you.

Must go there again one of my all time favourite places.

All the best.
Sep 21st, 2009, 12:08 PM

Ephesus. Aphrodisias is too far away, although it has its own charm. If you can do Ephesus on your own rather than a tour, that is preferable and pay the extra for the residential section (the covered area).
Sep 21st, 2009, 12:12 PM

Definitely Ephesus
Sep 22nd, 2009, 10:33 AM

I liked Ephesus as much as the previous posters, but I think I enjoyed my day visiting Priene, Miletus, and Didyma even more. Priene has this amazing field filled with broken pieces of columns (and a few standing columns), Miletus has the best-preserved Roman baths that I saw in Turkey, and the temple and standing pillars at Didyma are truly impressive. I think I enjoyed the less popular sites more than Ephesus because they were not crowded, and Ephesus was overrun with cruise ship passengers. To be fair, we visited around lunchtime (probably not the best time). The Library of Celcius at Ephesus is as fantastic as you imagine, and I thought the Terrace Houses were well worth seeing also (extra fee). Not to offend anyone, but what I could have omitted without feeling like I missed anything were the House of the Virgin Mary (even though I come from a religious Catholic family) and St. John's Basilica; I visited those two sites on the same day that I saw Ephesus. I also walked around Sirince that same day, which I do think is worthwhile. I didn't see Aphrodisias, but I did see Hierapolis and Pamukkale. Those would be third on my list of to-sees if I were you--if you are there on the right day, Pamukkale is gorgeous, but UNESCO floods different limestone terraces/pools on different days as part of their conservation effort, and I would have been disappointed had the "right" pools not been filled on the day that I was there. I was completely unimpressed by the swimming area (I think they called it the Antique Pool and/or Cleopatra's Pool) on the Pamukkale site--very touristy and fake.
Sep 22nd, 2009, 11:17 AM

I really enjoyed Priene, Miletus and Didyma but I think that if I had the choice I would definitely choose Ephasus first. I also agree that you may want to get your own tour. We just purchased a guidebook and did the tour on our own, but there are also audio tours and tour guides around the entrance.

I also agree that a trip to the Temple of Artemis is also a must, and literally just down the street from Ephasus. If you have time, there are also other sites in Selcuk as well. The Ephasus museum is here and a great way to follow up your visit.

Tracy
Sep 23rd, 2009, 05:33 AM

Hanal, my wife and I will be in Ephesus on Nov. 25 off our cruise ship, the Celebrity Solstice. If that is your cruise, Let me know as we are trying to get a private tour, but all two party private tours appear to be booked. We have been offered a mini bus for 4 or more at a good price and tour includes all sites mentioned by other responders. Hoping to hear from you. Dennis Parsons