ephesus turkey

Sep 21st, 2009, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

ephesus turkey

we will be in Ephesus turkey ( Kysadasi) for one day. Has anyone used the tour group "Hello Ephesus Tours" we are looking for a one day tour. Any recommendations would be appreciated. dap1206
Sep 22nd, 2009, 01:56 AM

my usual recommendation is:

-read a little on Ephesus, the town of Selcuk and environs (temple of Artemis, Virgin Mary's retreat, St. John's Basilica, Selcuk museum, Cave of the 7 sleepers.)

- Get a group of 2-4 together and either get a private guide or just take a taxi to the upper entrance to Ephesus (so that you can walk downhill)

- I you do not have a guide, get one for Ephesus at the entrance.

- make sure you visit the Terraced Houses.

- If it is a hot day take some bottled water at the entrance.

- If you can, have something with you for the cats of Ephesus

- If you have taken a private tour tell the guide that you do not want to see a carpet shop or a jewellery shop or a leather shop. If you have time, you can shop by yourself in Kusadasi after the tour. (If you have taken an organized tour, at least an hour will be wasted at shops and the tour may not include some of the sites.)

- try the restaurant at bella Hotel across from St. John's Basilica, or if you have time, eat at the small village of Sirince (only 5 minutes from Selcuk by car) where you will be served excellent regional wild and semi-wild greens, rather than the typical fare.
Sep 22nd, 2009, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

we are definitely getting a private tour. Thanks for the heads up abou the carpet and jewelry shops. dap
Sep 22nd, 2009, 08:57 AM

we were very pleased with the private tour we booked through ekol travel.

www.ekoltravel.com
Sep 22nd, 2009, 10:20 AM

Another vote for Ekol Travel--I just used them in the Kusadasi area at the beginning of September. (Ms.) Nur Koray was easy to communicate with via e-mail, patiently answering my many e-mails and questions. We were extremely pleased with our 30-year old female guide Rabia and our (similarly aged) male driver named Ali. Rabia had great knowledge, professionalism, and personality, and it was a pleasure to spend time with her and Ali. I thought Ekol's prices were reasonable, and their website is comprehensive. They took a 20% deposit upon booking, and we paid the balance after our tours (they take credit cards, which is a bonus). We used them for three full-day tours:
* Ephesus (as a previous poster said, pay the extra for the Terrace Houses), St. John's Basilica, Virgin Mary's House, Sirince
* Pamukkale and Hierapolis
* Priene, Miletus, Didyma