Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Will it still be cold/wet in Normandy in early May?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 05:40 PM
martha

I'm trying to plan a trip to Normandy and would like to go in early May. If the weather is usually still unsettled at that time of year, I could perhaps put the trip off until around May 20th, if that would increase chances of good weather. Any insights will be appreciated.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 06:53 PM
sherrye willis

we were in normandy the end of may this year, and it was cool and wet. <BR>i took a lightweight coat, 3/4 length with a hood, my husband a nylon parka, plus umbrellas. it was windy and pretty chilly on the beaches, and rainy at mont st. michel.<BR>we anticipated that kind of weather and were prepared. <BR>we were just glad to be there --- whatever the weather.<BR>i'd suggest similar gear --- i think it's easier to take off the coat, than to need one and be without.<BR>have a great trip.<BR>sherrye willis

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 09:24 PM
VickiV

It was cold and wet in June 1944, be prepared for any weather.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 10:12 PM
janis

It could be cold, cool, wet, dry, or warm. Normandy is on the channel so obviously the weather can be very changeable. 10 or 20 days will not make enough difference to matter one way or the other.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 10:14 PM
Paul

I was in Normandy in early May this year. I thought the weather was great! I spent five days there, (the 2nd thru the 7th) and was rained on once, (late evening). I had a light jacket with me, but shed it as afternoon came around. I was quite comfortable. I hope you enjoy Normandy. Five days was not enough! If you would like to know of a great B&B, email me.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 05:47 AM
Rex

I was in (Haute) Normandie (near Vernon/Giverny), May 5-26 in 1999. I think it rained about 5 days in 21. It was mostly very nice weather, moderate as far as temperature extremes at either end. Never wore more than a light jacket; never much above upper 70's (degrees Fahrenheit).<BR><BR>At the risk of stating the obvious, the later you travel in May, the more you face those gloriously lengthening hours of sunlight.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 06:20 AM
Tammy

I visited the beaches at the first of June 2000 and it was a steady rain with a bit of a chill in the day for the entire day, only to clear up in the early evening. Just be prepared for any type of weather.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 06:28 AM
amy

Martha, We were there late July and early August. It rained a little bit almost every day. And that's not unusual. Normandy is known for being quite variable. Thus I agree with Janis--ten days isn't going to make a measurabale difference in your chances of a dry,warm week (and very little difference in amount of daylight).<BR><BR>Just have some layers and some raingear, and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 01:02 PM

topping<BR>

Old Oct 5th, 2002, 10:01 AM
Robyn France

If u are visiting the invasion sites on the Normandy beaches, the weather there is very different from other areas of Normandy. The weather is likely to be cold, windy and rainy and u will definitely need a parka and wind shield. Other parts of Normandy should be quite pleasant with occasional rain.<BR><BR>