Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What do you to those people who put down Paris when you are about to go.

Oct 4th, 2002, 08:43 AM
doug

My wife and I are planning on going to Paris for our first year anniversary (two more weeks to go!).
But everytime I tell people that we are going to Paris, all I keep hearing are negative comments like: "oh wait 'til you go and see how rude those Parisians are to Americans",
"French food is horrible", "the weather is going to be grey, cold and rainy when you go"......
I am really looking forward to having a great time with my wife and I am true believer that it is all about attitude.
But what can I say to people that all they can add is negativism?

Oct 4th, 2002, 08:47 AM
kate

Doug, have these people actually been to Paris? How can anyone say that "french food is horrible"? This, the country with the greatest food reputation in the world.

I think the word here is JEALOUSY. You should feel rightfully smug about your trip, and boast about it massively when you get home.

Oct 4th, 2002, 08:50 AM
Jayelle

I'm guessing you've done some research on Paris and have definite reasons why you decided to go, things you're looking forward to seeing, etc. I'd just cite those things, and tell them you'll let them know how it went when you get back.

Oct 4th, 2002, 08:52 AM
lucky

to those people you can utter the following words: Thank you for your input, but you have me confused with someone who you think may give a sh*t.
While it is true that the French may not particulary be endeared to we American's, nonetheless, they can be quiet polite. You will have a great time do not worry bout it.

Oct 4th, 2002, 08:53 AM
doug

That is what kills me, these people have NOT been to Paris themselves.
It is very frustrating to hear those comments though.

Oct 4th, 2002, 08:53 AM
lizbeth

Smile and say nothing.

Then be "too busy" to look at the vacation pictures of their most recent trip to DisneyWorld.

Doug, you and your spouse will have the time of your life. Don't let anything spoil it. Bon voyage!

Oct 4th, 2002, 08:54 AM
elaine

Tell them you're glad they are staying home! (and wonder if they've actually been there themselves.)

Not everyone likes everybody else, not everyone likes every city. You will find that most (not all) people on this message board love Paris.

If you are American you may find that many Parisians are reserved, don't exude warmth. They value privacy and may not want to be your friend. But 99% of them are courteous and correct and helpful if you ask in the same manner.

The food is glorious, even the simplest of meals like bread and cheese and wine in your room. There is no excuse to eat badly in Paris. If you wander into a tourist trap, you've made a mistake.
Do some restaurant research on this message board, look elsewhere on this Fodor's website, and if you want some budget-minded places buy Gustafson's reliable book "Cheap Eats in Paris."

The weather? You've got me there. It's fickle in almost any season. Mid to late Oct might be in the 50sF or the 40s and you will have some drizzle I'm sure. Bring some layers just in case, a jacket or coat or poncho, and an umbrella.
You will be thrilled if you don't need them.

I have a file on Paris; if you'd like to see it, email me.
Happy anniversary.

Oct 4th, 2002, 08:54 AM
Susan

Doug, Ignore them ;-) I completely agree that an open & postitive attitude can really help make a trip wonderful.

In my experience, Parisians were not rude (just like urban folks anywhere, they reminded me a bit of Manhattan-ites in manner) and French food is certainly not horrible!! Can't comment on the weather in the fall, as I've only been there in the summer.

Just KNOW you will have a terrific trip & maybe find some new more upbeat friends!! *LOL*

Oct 4th, 2002, 08:56 AM
andy

Don't pay attention to them! I have been
there 3 times with my wife and have enjoyed every moment of each stay. It
isn't perfect, BUT when you are there
you will get a feeling that is unlike
any other place I have ever visited in
USA or Europe. So, go, enjoy and report
when you return as to who is correct?
Bon voyage.

Oct 4th, 2002, 09:02 AM
Lori

Totally ignore them. I've been over a dozen times that have always been treated nicely. Of course there are rude people in Paris, there are rude people in Boise, Des Moines, Phoenix, Pittsburg, Mobile .. you get my drift here. Food can be good (or bad) anyplace, I had a few meals in Paris that I did not care for, but that will happen anyplace. Sure the weather can be grey, cold and rainy, butso can it be like that in San Francisco (or Seattle, or a million other places). I've been in cold, rainy & grey and in sunny, warm and beautiful. The trip is what YOU make it. Your attitude is the key here - with a good attitude you will have a great trip. With a bad attitude the trip will be bad, no matter what city you are in. Just relax, enjoy and ignore.

Oct 4th, 2002, 09:06 AM
Deanna

When in Paris send them a postcard telling how much you love your trip, send them e-mails telling very briefly (you will be too busy to spend time on internet and send long messages)about your your great trip and food. When you get home, invite them for dinner, show them your photos, serve French wine, give them little gifts from Paris and tell them how you truly feel about Paris.
Tell them that next time maybe they can join you. But be careful because that's what happened with some of our friends. Now they won't stop asking when we are planning our next trip. We relly did not mean to invite them but to show them how wrong they were. Belive it or not we did not hear anymore negative comments.

Have a great time, Doug

Oct 4th, 2002, 09:07 AM
SiD

I can NEVER understand why people keep saying "The French hate Americans, people are rude, etc". They don't have ANY reasons to back it up either!!!

Oct 4th, 2002, 09:08 AM
party poopers

Unless they have actually BEEN to Paris I would not listen. And even if they have... I'd still probably not pay attention, because some people manage to have a BAD time wherever they go.

Oct 4th, 2002, 09:13 AM
Doug

Deana,

that was great!!!

Oct 4th, 2002, 09:19 AM
elle

I just love Deanna's response! Kind of a Gallic twist on my mother's old "kill them with kindness" advice.

I love being subversive with rude, uninformed people. . .

Oct 4th, 2002, 09:28 AM
SoeurSourire

Re French food do not buy quiche lorraine from Monoprix. I did once and found a knuckle sized lump of grisle inside it...... gross!

Oct 4th, 2002, 09:46 AM
aj

I have have finally decided not to tell friends or co-workers that we are going to Paris again or for that matter Europe in general! They just can't understand why we would want to go back there. I know the reason is they are mostly untraveled themselves and just don't know how wonderful other parts of the world are. And yes, JEALOUSY does play a big part in the attitude of people like that. Any way, Fodors is a great place to talk about your trip and we will all be very interested to hear how much fun you had in Paris when you return!

Oct 4th, 2002, 09:53 AM
BD

I smile and say that I don't know what they are talking about, none of these negative things has ever happened to me!

Oct 4th, 2002, 10:10 AM
jen

I always respond to the "rude" comment by saying that I found, during my year living in Paris, that Parisians are quite nice as long as you're polite and try to speak the language.

Oct 4th, 2002, 10:23 AM
Bob Brown

Doug, I suggest you might listen to the people who have something adversely critical to say about Paris. There is a chance that they have gripes that are justifiable on an absolute scale. Not every one who says negative things about Paris went there with a negative attitude to begin with. And not everyone who says something critical is jealous of those who are able to visit there.

I just got back from my 4th visit there, and I am still trying to put a positive spin on these events:
1. I got trapped in a subway door and had not two strong Brits come to my wife's assistance in forcing the door open to free me, I am not sure I would be here to write this. It scared the heck out of all of us. So try and tell me something good to say about it!!
I am still searching for words of praise for a subway system that damn near killed me. And before anyone says anything to me, I will challenge them to go get trapped in the door and see how they like it!!!
2. The food at a fancy fish place was awful. The French may like raw fish; I don't. The vegetables were so salty I could not eat them. They were terrible, to me at least. So don't try to convince me that it was good and that I just don't know any better. I have eaten in major restaurants in London, Berlin, Copenhagen, Milan, Venice, Innsbruck, Munich, Hamburg, Heidelburg, Edinburgh, Zurich, Salzburg, and Vienna and never had swill like that. If that is good, you can have all of it you want so that I don't have to eat any.
3. You can say what you will, but the Paris Metro stations smell like urine and have other foul odors. Perhaps that stench adds to the romantic flavor of Paris. Possibly for some it serves as an aphrodisiac, and perhaps it whets their appetite for other pleasures. For me it is not pleasant, and I avoid the Metro as much as possible.

4. The good lord deliver me from Charles de Gaulle airport. I know the system there, but having to navigate it never is much fun because the airport is so confusing. I made my 6th trip through there this time around, and I promised my wife, who feels the same way, we would not be there again soon.

As for rude and brusque people, I have not experienced that as much as I have heard others talk about. But just be prepared for stress while in Paris.

I have not experienced the same level of complication with other Metro systems. My experiences in Vienna and Munich have been fairly positive in comparison. The Munich metro runs like clockwork, and many of the stations have elevators and escalators to help you get up and down. Normally steps don't bother me, but when I am hauling my trip luggage, an escalator or an elevator is a beneficial extra.

My suggestion is this: Don't go to Paris with your head locked in dreamland. It is not the perfect city, and frankly it is overblown in terms of "culture". There are quite a few Francophiles who contribute to this board and state that Paris is the creme de la creme. Nonsense. Other cities have the same types of attractions, although I will admit that there is only one Musee d'Orsay, and only one Louvre, and only one Vaux le Vicomte. To each his own, and if you are going to be there, try to enjoy it because there is a lot there to enjoy. But be on your guard at all times because paradise it is not. And watch out for the dog poop. Parisian dogs poop like any others!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO