May weather in Normandy & Brittany

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm realizing several of you were in Normandy and/or Brittany last month. Since I'm hoping to go mid-May next year, I'll be wondering about what kind of weather to expect.

In May 2005 while I was melting at about 80 degrees in Gordes, I guess Grandmere was getting rained on in Normandy. I realize one year's weather isn't always a predictor of the next, but....

Also, I'm going to try to travel light for the first time in my life, and expect it may be warmer and drier a week or so later when I go through the Loire.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 01:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Loire is 1000km long. If you mean the bit at the mouth end then note that that bit is up against the atlantic with prevailing winds from US so it tends to be wet (though warm) a lot of the time. Other end is drier and more southerley.

Weather varied from thunderstorms to 5C up to 25C both during the day and bone dry.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 02:43 AM

As you said, one year can be very different than another but so can one day to the next. When we were in Normandy last year at the end of June we had to purchase jackets. We didn't expect it to be so chilly for the whole week.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 02:46 AM

I forgot to mention. If you like to travel light..as we do, take the chance of warm and if you have to purchase a jacket or a sweater, it is a nice remembrance of the the trip.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

My big concern is rain. Obviously I would plan to spend a lot of time outdoors seeing the beaches, etc. I remember reading about the storms around D-Day, and that was June.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 07:21 AM

I was in Normandy for a week in May two years ago-the weather was glorious. I think we lucked out-you need to plan for rain (like London) but you can get some really beautiful weather. I was tehre when everything was in full bloom and the sun sets so late there that time of year.
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Original Poster

Topping, just in case anyone was there recently.
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 03:53 AM

My husband and I always travel light. But when there is a possibility of chilly or wet weather, we bring our wind-resistant/water-resistant jackets that fold up very compactly and can fit in a gallon size ziploc baggie.

The material is very thin...doesn't take up much space in your suitcase... and you wear a sweater(s) or long sleeves underneath for extra warmth if necessary. The jackets also have hoods.

We have found it to be a good solution for travelling light with uncertain weather conditions.
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 08:55 AM

Our experience over nine May days in Brittany this year was variable - mostly cool, with some rain, and only a few days that one would classify as beautiful springtime. But, we prefer too cool to too warm, and so that worked fine for us. It can be quite windy on the coast, and with a bit of rain, we were happy to have purchased a couple of gust-resistant umbrellas, since normal ones will go inside out in a flash! A windbreaker and a sweater, along with summer clothes, served us just fine for our stay. I am completing a photo-travelogue of our Brittany stay for Web posting, and will be happy to provide the URL when finished.
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, this was what I was looking for. Glad to hear that it wasn't COLD. We live in Alaska, so 80 is hot to us.

Since my umbrella blew up in Bellingham 15 years ago, I've used a little red rubber rain hat. When it's bad I just pull a gortex hood up over it, so I should be OK. Nice if it will be sunny though.
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 10:11 AM

I live in Normandy and April this year was brilliant. May very poor and June has been bad so far with rain flooding down sometimes as well as showers. Weather is still very chageable.

Weather is unpredictable and the last few Octobers have been great weather, which does not mean this year will be.