Reload this Page >

Who wears Short Shorts ,lol

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2006, 09:29 AM
adamriemer

I know, this has been in numerous subjects. SO, for a 24/m to wear shorts while travling in Italy and Paris is not proper???? I tihnk i would die if i couldnt wear shorts assuming the weather was nice.

Are tank tops considered trashy?
Also, for nightlife, will I need to bring black dress shoes, nice shirt?

I think im just going to pack supoer light and buy some clothing/shoes if needed.

Old Apr 21st, 2006, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adults just donīt wear beach wear in cities.
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 10:16 AM

When I was in Prague, young women wore tank tops (and the locals, often the exact same tank top 3 days in a row). Guys wearing tank tops? Well I laugh at that in the US, but if you want to wear a wifebeater and shorts I doubt anyone will really care unless you try to go into churches and nice hotels/restaurants. Although I generally would draw a line at a wifebeater.

I saw lots of tourists all over Europe wearing shorts. Chances are they will know you are a tourist (not necessarily an American one) but they will probably know that regardless. If it a major inconvenience to you, just wear shorts. I also think in general there are lower standards for male tourists.

As for clubs, you should probably dress nicely for the hipper places, I personally find myself mainly at bars so I just wear whatever (no shorts though, just not my style in the U.S. either).
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 10:23 AM

Lots of Italian tourists in other countries wear shorts i notice but few do in the daily routine at home. I always wear shorts if warm enough and nobody thinks much of shorts anymore, except those .... Italian churches with Talibanesque moral police out front turning back immorally clad tourists in shorts and women showing too much skin or not covering their hair.
In some countries, like Italy, gorgeous women in tank tops may invite unwanted catcalls and whistles from immature macho men.
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 10:33 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
For daytime if it is hot, I wear long-ish shorts made out of printed rayon fabrics (similar to palazzo pants). The come to the top of my knees and almost look like a skirt. I do wear tank tops but put a lightweight blouse over them. Or I find sleeveless collar button cotton blouses are a bit dressier and even cooler.
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 10:37 AM

suze, I think he is a man
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 10:44 AM

For nighttime I think a tight short black knit skirt always works & takes virtually no room in your bag.
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 10:54 AM
adamriemer

Yes, I am a man. I was just joking with the subject heading. I think that came from an old commerical. If im just siteseeing, I'd rather wear some shorts, sandals, and t-shirt/wifebeater.

Old Apr 21st, 2006, 10:56 AM

Hi Adam, please don't take the other's advice!lol.

Shorts are fine for men, just not short shorts. Take some tank tops and see how you feel once you get there, otherwise tshirts, etc.

BTW, short shorts used to be a pop song many moons ago! The commercial is using it and bringing it back to life!

have fun
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 11:02 AM

Long shorts are okay if it's warm.

You will not see men in tank tops in Italy or France. A short sleeved shirt would be a much better choice.
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 11:02 AM

Have never seen a european man in a tank top. Have seen some workmen in white undershirts that look like tanktops - but they were distinctly laborers in the process of a job.

Shorts outside of a resort - to me make men look like little boys (like english public school shorts) but if you're comfortable you can walk around that way. You won;t be allowed in nice restaurants or clubs and may get stares/comments in churches.

(I think the difference is that in europe a 24 year old is considered and adult man - while in the US he's still a school kid.)
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 11:04 AM

I think it's funny that adam thinks "who wears short shorts" originated with a commercial. (It's from an early-'60s bubble gum rock song.)
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 11:06 AM

my florence guidebook says that shorts are not necessarily appreciated by either sex in religious buildings....they say you can be turned away if wearing shorts.

remember that shorts are super casual, almost anywear.
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 11:13 AM

OOps, sorry, I guess the "Adam" should have tipped me off!

Old Apr 21st, 2006, 11:17 AM

I wear short shorts when visiting places like Pompeii and Paestum. I wouldn't wear shorts in the evening or into a restaurant at any time of day. That is why linen skirts were invented
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 11:18 AM

Oops, I too just saw that Adam is a guy. In that case... don't make the shorts too short please! ;-)
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 11:22 AM

I dunno, I bet Adam would look cute in the long black skirt

Adam , maybe not a tank top but I have seen men with tees under their shirts hanging out..like men do here..young'uns anyway..

Everything else sounds great, I love the idea of buying whatever you need when you get there..Have fun!!
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 11:42 AM

And I read 24/m and immediately thought, "Hmm . . . 24 months. Sure, a toddler may wear shorts."

Sigh.
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 11:46 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
"(It's from an early-'60s bubble gum rock song.)"

"Short Shorts" was actually a song recorded by the Royal Teens that somehow became a hit in 1958.

Old Apr 21st, 2006, 11:49 AM

I thought this was sort of a joke about all the posts who warn people not to wear short shorts -- and asking why people sy that, who on earth wears short-shorts, anyway? I don't know, but I think Germans do sometimes in certain circumstances (including those running nylong shorts), and believe it or not but I've seen Frenchmen wearing short shorts out in public to a restaurant down in Provence in the summer. Ugh.

So, I don't know about Italy, but you can certainly wear shorts in Paris in summer -- the usual male cargo pant, kind of knee length things are fairly common. I really dislike the term "wifebeater" and wish people wouldn't say that if they mean sleeveless undershirt (and who wears that in public, anyway). Tank tops are a different thing and I'll admit I don't think you see men wearing them much in a big city, even in summer. I hope not, that is really kind of gross.

Why not wear a lightweight Tshirt, or even short-sleeved cotton or linen shirt, that's what most men wear with shorts. I would think a male wearing a tank top is okay in very hot resort areas or walking along the boardwalk in Nice, for example.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -