Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which train from London to Hampton Court?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I checked the London Transport website to find out departure times and it listed a bunch of choices for arrival at Hampton Court. Which one do I want? Do you know how much it will cost? Thanks!
Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 09:18 AM

We used train service from Waterloo. At minutes 28 and 58 past each hour.
www.swtrains.co.uk
The station at HC is right across the river.

LT service (Tube to Richmond and bus R68) takes longer time, unless you are in Richmond or Kew area.
Hampton Court is in zone 6.
We had travelcard valid for zone 1 to 6 so didn't take care of the cost.
Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 09:53 AM

Susan, if you have the time take the tube to Richmond and spend an hour or two walking though the town and down to the river, it's beautiful and you can have a drink at a river-side pub. Then take the R68 bus to Kingston where you can wonder around some more, more drinks on the riverside and some good shopping. Then on to Hampton court with the bus. To save time, you could take the train back to Waterloo.
Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 10:36 AM

I think I took the train from Waterloo also, last summer. I did buy a separate ticket because my tube pass was only for zones 1-2. I don't really remember the exact cost of the RT ticket, but it wasn't very much--maybe 5-8 pounds or so. I really don't remember but it isn't a cost you need to worry about.
Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 10:54 AM

HCP is in zone 6 - If you have a zone 1 travel card you simply pay a small suplement for the journey from Waterloo. Last year it was £3.50 but it may be slightly more if the fares have gone up.

The train runs every 30 minutes so you don't have to catch a specific one.
Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 08:35 PM
Original Poster

I appreciate these replies. Am I just being thick here? I'm usually pretty good with this kind of thing. I realize that I need to leave from Waterloo Station, but is there only one station to get off at for Hampton Court? The website showed a whole list of choices, that's why I wasn't sure where I should get off. Thanks for any clarification!
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 04:07 AM

I tried south trains website and transport for london webiste but only one Hampton Court is shown.
For what I remember, there is only one HC station and it has only one terminal platform.
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 11:17 AM

maybe you are confused by the names of some other stations (Hampton Wick for instance). But there is only one Hampton Court station - and it is the end of the line. So if you get on the right train at Waterloo (the announcement sign above the concourse will list all the stations for each train) just stay on it til the last station -- Hampton Court.
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the clarification!
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 03:06 PM

London Walks has a nice tour that takes you out to Richmond and then on a boat up to Hampton Court. Check out their website.
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

jgmc, Thanks for that tip. I checked it out and it looked like it might be a nice option, but they only do it on Mon. We arrive on Mon so wouldn't be able to make it.
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 07:50 AM

Susan,
Be sure to ask for a combined train and palace ticket, you can save yourself several pounds.
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 07:56 PM
Original Poster

Lori, Is this combination ticket something you buy at the train station? On the website for Hampton Court, you can buy a combination ticket for Hampton and the Tower of London where you are basically getting the Tower for half price. If I have to buy the train combo ticket at the train station, am I saving more by buying that or by buying the combo for Hampton/Tower? Thanks.
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 08:09 PM

SusanP - just to confuse things some more - if you buy a 4 day Great British Heritage Pass you would have entry to Kensington Palace, Hampton Court Palace, Windsor Castle, the Royal Mews, Greenwich, and 1/2 off at the Tower. This would be a real bargain.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Hi Janis, Yes, I was also looking at the Heritage Pass and trying to figure out if it would be good for us. I did a search here and read a lot about it and also went to a website to see what was covered. That was a little difficult to sort out. Does it cover Westminster Abbey? I thought if it covered that, Hampton Court, St. Paul's and half off the Tower, it would probably be a good idea. These are definitely on our list. I'm not sure yet about Greenwich, we're still working on what we want most to see, and I think if we did decide to do another daytrip, I'd choose Warwick over Windsor. If you can clear any of this up, that would be great! Thanks.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 10:51 AM

I am also going to London and have considered buying the combo Tower and Hampton ticket at London Historic Sites web site. They add a 3 pound charge on for the transaction. Also, when you buy the combo ticket, must it be for the same day. Is doing both the Tower and Hampton Court feasible in one day? My last question is, can you buy the combo tickets in London instead of on the net?
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Cronen, I'm glad you mentioned the question of whether you have to do both Hampton Court and the Tower the same day if you buy the combination ticket. Thanks! Hope somebody knows.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

OK, I was just looking at Rick Steves London 2003, and he calls it a 1-day combo ticket for Hampton Court and the Tower. That would seem to indicate that they both have to be done in one day. I certainly don't want to have to do that. At 12 pounds for the Tower and 11.30 for Hampton, guess that makes it better for me to get the Heritage Pass at 22 pounds for 4 days, since it also covers St. Paul's. I'd still like to find out if it covers Westminster Abbey.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 04:21 PM

It does not cover Westminster Abbey - but it does include the Chapter House and Pyx Chamber within the Abbey. The Chapter House is a must - it has the original tiled floor from the 13th century. Entry to the Chapter house and Pyx Chamber are very inexpensive so don't buy a GBHP based on them - but they are covered.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Janis, it looks as thought it will be worth it to get the Heritage Pass. And if we decide to go to Greenwich, it will just be that much more savings. I appreciate your input.