London to Hampton Court

Search

London to Hampton Court

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2007, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London to Hampton Court

I was wondering if someone could tell me the best way to get from the Westminster area to Hampton Court? I'm not sure if we should use the tube/bus/walking or the National Rail.

We are leaving in 49 days! But who's counting.

Thank You
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 07:52 AM

National Rail is the way to go - other means much much longer.

Waterloo Station trains twice an hour about will take you to the end of the line right across from the Hampton Court Palace entry, just across the Thames from the station.

You may have to change once someplace on some links.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 08:00 AM

The quickest route from central London is by train from London Waterloo. The trains go via Vauxhall, Clapham Junction and Wimbledon so it may sometimes be easier to catch it at one of those rather than Waterloo. From Westminster tube station, you can walk over the bridge to Waterloo or take the tube. The trains normally run every half hour and Hampton Court is the terminus so there's no problem finding the right train.
Hampton Court is in zone 6, so it's easiest to have a travelcard for zones 1-6. Otherwise, if you have a travelcard for, say, zones 1-2, show this when you buy your ticket to Hampton Court to get a discount (because you then only need to pay from the boundary of zone 2 to Hampton Court).
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 08:02 AM

and if no pass, ask for a day return ticket. Doubt if OysterCard readers are in place at Hampton Court station yet so that may be out.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 08:31 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
And, after taking the train to Hampton Court Palace, if teh weather is nice you can take a boat back to Westminster pier. But only if the weather is semi-decent and if you have the time since the boat ride is approx 3 hours.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 09:00 AM

boats also run regularly in season from nearby Kingston to Hampton Court.

I walked along the Thames the about three miles also from Kingston to the 'English Versailles' - a nice walk on towpaths - but take the paths on the north side of the river as south detours often around Schlock.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 10:17 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
my point was the OP is traveling from Westminster - so the boat back to Westminster Pier could make sense -- again if decent weather and they have the time. Kingston to Westminster isn't very straighforward.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 10:21 AM

yes - i was only giving general ideas for others reading.

Boats to kingston not as long as to Westminster and direct trains Kingston to London Waterloo and with one change to lots of stations.

I think the boat all the way Westminster to Hampton Court is a great way to go, if you have the time - love the whole stretch of that part of Thames.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 11:13 AM

I would echo Janisj's comment/suggestion. We took the train out and boat back. Boat was nice, relaxing way to return - very enjoyable. Would add, though, not to do the reverse. The boat TO Hampton is going upriver and against the tide and takes much longer. So, if you take the boat, take it back to Westminister.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 02:11 PM

The tide can flow either way: it flows in from the sea for about five hours, then ebbs for about seven hours. It is sometimes quicker going by boat from London to Hampton Court than the other way. It's usually better to take the train to Hampton Court and the boat back, but not always. In summer, boats usually leave Hampton Court at 1500, 1600 and 1700, and the journey to Westminster can take from 2 hours 15 minutes to four hours, depending on the tide. At low tide, the boats have difficulty getting from London to Hampton Court so there are no sailings some days.