Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Help, please! How to get TO Madrid Airport FROM downtown Madrid?

Help, please! How to get TO Madrid Airport FROM downtown Madrid?

Mar 14th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Help, please! How to get TO Madrid Airport FROM downtown Madrid?

Hi everyone - I've seen a lot of postings on how to get to downtown Madrid from the airport. But I really some need help with getting FROM downtown Madrid TO the airport. For some reason, it's just confusing the heck out of me.

I will be taking the train from Barcelona into Madrid, staying for a week in Madrid, then flying OUT of Madrid airport (I've never been to this airport).

I'm a bit confused. My hotel is in the Plaza Mayor. My flight leaves at 9:30am. Is it best just to get a taxi? Is it easy to get a taxi at this time in Plaza Mayor, or should I walk somewhere else to try to hail one? How early should I catch the taxi (6:00am?) Or is it better to arrange for a shuttle?

I'm stressing out about this way too much, but I'm a bit confused about the best thing to do.

Thank you!
Mar 14th, 2007, 10:02 AM

I would take a taxi. I have always stayed either close to Atocho or in the Plaza de Castilla area. The fare i around 20-25 Euros and takes the same amount of minutes withot traffic.

If you are a light packer it is feasible by metro but it takes a while.

Just FYI - the official requirement for international flights is to be there three hours before the flight is scheduled. Iberia has tried to bump me several times I was there only 2 1/2 hours before. Both under circumstances beyond my control.
Mar 14th, 2007, 10:18 AM

You can phone a teletaxi service. Ask your hotel for details.
Mar 14th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Hi - Thx! I'm definitely a light packer, but I really don't want to get lost on the metro before a very long flight back to the U.S. Based on these reponses, I think a taxi may be in order.

marigross - That FYI on getting there 3 hours before my flight is REALLY great advice, and I appreciate it.

Revulgo - thanks for the tip!

Cheers!
Mar 14th, 2007, 02:01 PM

I'd just take a taxi myself, the airport isn't that far out and traffic won't be that bad so early. That's what I did, anyway, and I think I was going around 7 am. It didn't cost that much, as I recall. Maybe 20-30 euro, somewhere in there. Madrid airport was a little disorganized when I was there, so I'd get there on the early side.
Mar 14th, 2007, 02:15 PM

Be sure to find out what terminal you leave from. Then when you go into the airport you find the television monitor to find out which counters to check into for your flight.

terminal four -T4- is new and gorgeous. iberia and its partners leave from there. Nice shops and reasonably priced cappuchinos at segafreddo..1.55 euros!
Mar 14th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Christina and lincasanova - both suggestions are really helpful. It's great tips like these that put my mind at rest before a long journey!

Search this Thread