To Hampton Court Palace

Search

To Hampton Court Palace

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2015, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To Hampton Court Palace

I have a couple of questions concerning getting there.

Is the tube then train from Waterloo to Hampton Court Palace the most convenient way to get there? We’ll be using Travel Cards so tube then train will work, right? Since we’ll probably be buying Zones 1 and 2 only for our week’s stay, to get to HCP do we buy extension zones or a whole different ticket to HCP?

And finally, one similar question might apply to getting to the Harry Potter Warner Studios. Departing from Euston and going to Watford Junction, do we buy extension zones or a whole different ticket?

For both of these excursions it’s reasonable to wait until the day of the trips to buy the tickets, right?
Thanks.
Old May 22nd, 2015, 08:24 AM

The ticket agents at Waterloo will be very helpful and you do not have to buy anything ahead of time.

But HCP is covered by 2-4-1 vouchers so do have that in hand ---and have a wonderful visit. It was cold and windy when we visited - very atmospheric.
Old May 22nd, 2015, 08:27 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Departing from Euston and going to Watford Junction, do we buy extension zones or a whole different ticket?<<

different ticket
Old May 22nd, 2015, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

VonVan, The 2-4-1s are printed! We're looking forward to HCP.
janisj, Different ticket it is then.
Thank you both.
Old May 22nd, 2015, 08:48 AM

Depending on where you are in London it may not be best to go to Waterloo to commence your journey but say take the Tube to Wimbledon and then join the Hampton Court train from Waterloo there - same station as Tube station - and buy your Hampton Court extension there - a paper ticket for reasons Von Von gives.

I have also walked along the Thames Path from Kingston to Hampton Court - a wonderful walk of about 4 miles or so - coming into the Palace thru the srawling deer park.

Boats also go from Westminster and also from Kingston to Hampton for a nice voyages on the Thames. Boat tickets however do not qualify for 2 for 1 I think. Maybe take em back after visiting if interested in the boat and also 2-4-1.

Hampton Court train station is a dead-end terminus right across a bridge from the Palace on the other side of the Thames.
Old May 22nd, 2015, 09:15 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Boats also go from Westminster and also from Kingston to Hampton for a nice voyages on the Thames.<<

Don't take a boat TO HCP -- you wouldn't get there until well after lunch time. If the weather is nice you can always decide to take a boat BACK into London in the afternoon assuming you don't have any other plans for that day.

>>Boat tickets however do not qualify for 2 for 1<<

not an issue since they will already have the paper travel cards so HCP is covered by the 2for1 no matter how they travel there.
Old May 22nd, 2015, 10:33 AM

Only if their paper travel cards are good for the farthest zone? Are you saying if you have a 1-2 central zxone Travel Card you can use it for 2 for 1 any place in the U.K. - or in this case Hampton Court which I assumed you would need to buy a train ticket to from where zones 1 + 2 or whatever they call the central zone now.

So you are saying a Travel Card on paper for just inner zones will give 2 -4 -1 entry to places outside its validity?

I don't know just want to clarify.
Old May 22nd, 2015, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

We're staying in the Bloomsbury area, so I'm thinking the Waterloo station. Wimbledon Championships are going on while we're there (first week of July) so might want to avoid that busy stretch. I assume that Wimbledon draws many people and many will be taking the train to it.

We'd like to stay at HCP much of the day, so I'm assuming there will be places to eat nearby. I love the boat idea, and will keep it in mind for the return. So, we should get tickets one way to keep the boat option open? And do we get extensions for the Zones 3-6? The travel cards still puzzle me.
Old May 22nd, 2015, 10:59 AM

And do we get extensions for the Zones 3-6? The travel cards still puzzle me.> Well yes to have a valid fare to Hampton Court but janis says that any travel card regardless of zones would qualify - even if you took the boat there and had just central zones TC - that is what I'm questioning and this issue came up before and I think what janis is saying is right or was deemed to be so.

janis says: "not an issue since they will already have the paper travel cards so HCP is covered by the 2for1 no matter how they travel there."> So it appears you do not need a paper ticket coveing the whole London to Hampton Court journey to get the 2-4-1 - seems strange but janis is usually spot on right about these things!
Old May 22nd, 2015, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

I thought that the HCP 2-4-1 was referring only to the HCP itself, not the travel to and from.

Also I checked the boat schedule and since the boat departs from HCP at 3PM and gets into Westminster at 6PM, that does leave us with enough time at HCP.

Also it looks like that there are several places to eat on the grounds, so that is not an issue anymore.
Old May 22nd, 2015, 11:34 AM

I went by boat and returned by train. The boat trip takes a very long time and was a bit boring to me, sounded better than it was. I would have enjoyed it more if it were shorter. So I definitely wouldn't do the boat trip both ways.

The 2 for 1 offer does only refer to the Hampton Court Palace entry. I think you two are talking past each other. YOu just need a rail ticket to present to get the 2 for 1 Hampton entry offer, but if you go there by rail, you do need the proper rail ticket to get there. I believe Palenq was answering how do you get it if you travel there by boat but happen to have a different rail ticket on your person to present.
Old May 22nd, 2015, 11:53 AM

The HCP 2for1 is admission for the palace. Unless you were staying far west of Waterloo, the train from Waterloo would be quickest and most convenient even if the tennis tournament wasn't on (the national rail trains go a bit faster and have more distance between their stops than the s l o w District Line that toddles out to Wimbledon).
Old May 22nd, 2015, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

I think I'll plan it this way. Take the train to and from so that we can stay all day, longer than the 3PM time period when the boat would depart. I meant to say that in my earlier post that leaving at 3PM would NOT be enough time at HCP. I'll plan on getting round trip rail tickets that will take us all the way there (either with the zone extensions or with a whole different ticket), and use the 2-4-1 vouchers for the HCP entry.
Old May 22nd, 2015, 12:08 PM

Also it looks like that there are several places to eat on the grounds, so that is not an issue anymore.>

the litle village of Hampton or whatever its proper name is has restaurants, including a famous historic pub overlooking the Thames - nice place for that proverbial 'pub lunch' - in nice weather on the outdoor patio to watch the parade of pleasure boats on The Thames go back and forth - there is also one of the ubiquitous chippies and small convenience stores if you want to gather picnic grub or a snack whilst waiting for the train - and of course tera shops and eateries inside the compound itself.

A short walk from the Palace on the Thames is the Molesey Lock - really interesting to watch it operate as well as watching the folks in the boats themselves:

http://www.visitthames.co.uk/about-t...s/molesey-lock
Old May 22nd, 2015, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

I really want to know the name of that pub! Is that little village close to HCP? It sounds perfect! The lock is a good idea too, but would depend on how much time at the end.
Old May 22nd, 2015, 12:26 PM

Tis the Mute Swan:

http://www.brunningandprice.co.uk/muteswan/history/

http://www.thegoodpubguide.co.uk/pub...e-Swan-KT8-9BN
Old May 22nd, 2015, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

PalenQ, It is perfect!! Thank you so much for looking up the name and noting the links.
Old May 22nd, 2015, 02:37 PM

Thanks - have a 'bittuh' for me!