Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Are Hampton Court Palace and Windsor on the Tube?

Jul 3rd, 2011, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

I want to buy an Oyster for the week. If these two palaces have Tube stops, what do I say when I want to add Hampton, Windsor and a trip from Heathrow to London to my Oyster?

Thank you.
Jul 3rd, 2011, 10:49 AM

No - the Tube is limited to the central part of London and nearby suburbs. Windsor and Hampton Court are much further from the city and you need to take a train to get there. (You can get to HC by tube - if you take it to the end of the line and then switch to a bus or a boat - but a train is faster/easier - unless you may already be staying on the far west side of London - then I don;t have a clue.)
Jul 3rd, 2011, 10:50 AM

Neither place is on the tube. But HCP is on a train which is in zone 6 so tell the agent you want to add £ to cover four zone 6 trips (R-T Zone 1 to LHR and to Hampton Court)

Windsor is not in London and has nothing to do w/ London Transport. You need to buy train tix to Windsor.
Jul 3rd, 2011, 10:51 AM

As far as I am aware, neither has a tube stop, but both have railway stations. Hampton court is Zone 6 as far as I remember, but am fairly certain that Windsor and Eton is outside the oyster card range.
Jul 3rd, 2011, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Which train station do I use to catch a ride to HCP and WP? thanks
Jul 3rd, 2011, 11:13 AM

www.nationalrail.co.uk will answer your questions.
Jul 3rd, 2011, 11:15 AM

To get to HCP - take the train from Waterloo

To get to Windor/Eton - take the train from Paddington

Tell the ticket person what transit pass you have and ask what the fare will be. These two places are not on the tube network, but if you have a zone 1-2 pass you can get credit for the pass and just pay the zone 2 - HCP or Windsor.
Jul 3rd, 2011, 11:54 AM

You can also get to Windsor from Waterloo.
Jul 3rd, 2011, 12:20 PM

"You can also get to Windsor from Waterloo."

And if you do you can buy a combination ticket for Windsor Castle which saves you money. It's also direct unless the Paddington option which requires you to change train at Slough.
Jul 3rd, 2011, 12:23 PM

"I want to buy an Oyster for the week. "

For a week you need a Travelcard which can come on Oystercard or as a paper Travelcard. As apart from HCP you probably won't be travelling outside zones 1-2 get a Zone 1-2 Travelcard on Oystercard and add £10 cash for trips outside those zones.

Assuming of course "I" is "I" and not "we" in which case the answer may be different as we would need to know if people are adults (ie over the age of 16), children (under the age of 11) or feckless youth (everyone else) as well as your plans for the week.
Jul 3rd, 2011, 12:34 PM

I stayed at a hotel near Victoria while on a tour, so I can share one more possibility to search for getting to Windsor: from Victoria with a change at Clapham Junction.

It arrives at the Windsor & Eton Riverside station. You exit and pretty much just go Uphill to get to castle.
Jul 3rd, 2011, 12:34 PM

Do all Overground suburban trains now have Oyster Card readers as I presume - not long ago some did not???
Jul 3rd, 2011, 12:37 PM

Here is a map of all the Oyster area (including overland train lines)

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...rvices-map.pdf
Jul 3rd, 2011, 12:39 PM

And info on Oysters and National Rail:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14869.aspx

Basically, if you can use the Oyster there will be a reader now.
Jul 3rd, 2011, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

""For a week you need a Travelcard which can come on Oystercard or as a paper Travelcard. As apart from HCP you probably won't be travelling outside zones 1-2 get a Zone 1-2 Travelcard on Oystercard and add £10 cash for trips outside those zones.""

Two adults, each armed with an oyster. Will £10 addition cover LHR - Bayswater, and trips to HCP and WP?
Jul 3rd, 2011, 01:30 PM

You wouldn't pay for the Windsor trip using the Oystercard. You'd have to buy a separate ticket.
Jul 3rd, 2011, 01:30 PM

Just so you know, you can take a boat down the Thames to Hampton Court or back, and it is a fascinating journey, and a lovely way to beat the heat if the weather is warm. I believe there are some options that include boat ride plus entry tix, etc. but I'm not sure, and I doubt any is as cheap as the train. But I offer it up because the Thames is of such historic importance to London, traveling to or from Hampton Court on the river can really enrich your understanding of London, and is thus worth the minor extra cost.
Jul 3rd, 2011, 01:44 PM

From my post on another thread earlier today:

"We'd like to do a river cruise down to Hampton Court Palace, tour that, and come back. Any recommendations for best company/time that one?""

It really isn't a good idea to taker a boat TO Hampton Court Palace. The river is tidal so travel times do change -- but in general the trip up river to HCP can take an hour+ longer than the trip back down river from the palace into central London.

If you take a boat to HCP you can't get there before lunch time -- so it is better to take the train first thing in the morning and a boat back into town if the weather is nice.

You don't need a "company" -- you simply take the train to Hampton Court and then after visiting the palace, decide if you want to take the train or boat back. You might not want to be stuck on a boat for 3 hours in rain / wind . . .
Jul 3rd, 2011, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

I would like to take a direct train with no transfers.
Jul 3rd, 2011, 02:28 PM

You get your choice -- an easy transfer at Slough and short walk to the castle entrance, or a direct train and a long walk to the Castle. There are two different stations in Windsor, Windsor Central and Windsor & Eton Riverside. Waterloo trains go to W&ER w/o changes, Paddington trains change at Slough at WC.

So 6 of 1/half dozen of the other. Easy train and schleppy walk -- or -- slightly schleppy train and easy walk . . .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO