Search

Which camera?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19th, 2013, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which camera?

I'll be going to london soon I can't decide between taking my dslr or just using my iphone. Thoughts?
Old Oct 19th, 2013, 05:19 AM

DSLR with loads of lenses. Ipad rubbish
Old Oct 19th, 2013, 05:27 AM

iphone

unless you're a serious photographer and intend to spend time taking photos.

You've been to London before so maybe no need to take photos again...
Old Oct 19th, 2013, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks sassy cat! That's what I thought too
Old Oct 19th, 2013, 05:44 AM

I take my DSLR everywhere and would never rely on an iPhone for our travel photos...but we love photography
Old Oct 19th, 2013, 05:56 AM

These are different devices with vastly different value propositions. What values are important to you for this trip? For example, they differ in compactness, ability to email photos right off the device, control depth of the field, white balance control, aperture/shutter speed priority, wide angle, low light capability, etc.
What is the reason for having a DLR when, at least for trip, it seems to be interchangeable with an iPhone?
Old Oct 19th, 2013, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

I'm taking both just thought i'd ask no iphonegraphers it seems
Old Oct 19th, 2013, 06:04 AM

There was a young woman who was going to Paris and had a LONNNNG thread of planning, and then posted her Iphone photos as she went. They were terrific==and I consider myself to be a photographer.
On many trips--pre-digital or when digital was so much less--I loved taking my SLR and willingly put up with its bulk. But now--putting something in my pocket is great. Don't have an Iphone (I know, dinosaur), but take a compact digital.
Old Oct 19th, 2013, 06:47 AM

Which camera? The one you have with you. If the dslr and/or lenses are likely to remain in the hotel room because of the bulk and weight it is of no use. The iPhone will go with you anyway.
Personally I take my dslr pretty much everywhere with me, but I do use my phone when it is easier than carrying the dslr.
Old Oct 19th, 2013, 09:15 AM

The iPhone 5 has an awesome camera, and it's fun to e-mail pictures or post them right away. I take it and my Nikon, because it's lightweight. I do not carry extra lenses when traveling.
Old Oct 19th, 2013, 10:26 AM

DSLR but limit your lens to two.

Phones suck as cameras. Because no aperture control and optical viewfinder.
Old Oct 19th, 2013, 02:05 PM

1. Anyone serious about photography would never ask this question.

If you're not serious about photography, why on earth would you consider carrying extra weight on your trip?
Old Oct 19th, 2013, 02:53 PM

iphone, but maybe buy a stick on wide angle lens for it

i'm serious about photography, being a photographer, and often I just take my iphone with me. the best camera is the camera you actually have on you and use.
Old Oct 19th, 2013, 04:59 PM

The BEST camera for vacations is the Canon point and shoot with the telephoto lens(don't have the number handy but the last one we bought was something like a 220?. My daughter takes amazing pictures working down in Antarctica and I have taken great pictures all over the world being a flight attendant with this camera. It fits into a purse or pocket and is lightweight but takes way better pics than an IPHONE because of the pixels and telephoto lens. I think that we have bought a recent one for around $250 at Best Buy?
Old Oct 20th, 2013, 01:41 AM

dutyfree, are you talking about the S95 or S100? Those are two of the best P&S Canons out there.

<i>i'm serious about photography, being a photographer, and often I just take my iphone with me. the best camera is the camera you actually have on you and use.</i>

Do you take it instead of your DSLR because you don't really care to/need to take the best image you're capable of or does the situation not merit carrying around the extra weight?
Old Oct 20th, 2013, 04:50 AM

The best cameras for travel are the new mirrorless DSLR's that have only been around for a couple of years. They are much smaller than traditional DSLR's. I like the the Sony NEX cameras with the "pancake lens", which makes it even smaller. It fits easily in easily my coat pocket, hardly bigger than a good sized point-and-shoot but with DSL functionality. It is the way to go, no question.

A note on telephoto lenses. They are basically obsolete for almost all "normal" travelers. Why? Because the resolution of newer digital cameras is so high that you can resize the image much larger and then crop down with little or no visible loss of clarity, at least for typical print sizes. It simply isn't worth dragging a big telephoto lens around anymore for the vast majority of people, who drastically overbuy equipment based on the opinions of a few of the more extreme zealots.
Old Oct 20th, 2013, 05:38 AM

sparkchaser, a couple of years ago i exhibited in Photo LA, and there were a good number of iPhone shots among those, of which I sold most.

I don't use DSLRs, but do own a couple of rangefinder cameras, that are much more travel friendly than DSLR cameras. I remember the time when I traveled extensively with 2 canon 1 Ds bodies, full complement of lenses, strobe kit and tripods. But back then I hired an assistant to carry it for me and fetch me coffee.

Now I travel with a Fuji x pro and 3 lenses and my iPhone. Sometimes I take a fuji x100 along. I've lightened up considerably. I consider the x pro to be the perfect travel camera for my style of working.

The point with the iPhone as a main camera is that you have to see it as a toy camera. And shoot accordingly.