Which arrondissement is for us?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2013, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to Paris in November and are trying to decipher Paris's complicated layout (or least it appears complicated to a novice). There will be three of us: myself, my mother, and my 9 year old daughter. We are looking for what I think will be the quintessential Paris experience: boutiques, cafes and bakeries, gardens, art museums, strolls along the Seine, etc.

We would appreciate any suggestions on which arrondissements to concentrate our search for a hotel in, one with easy access to a metro and with lots of cafes and shops. And if you know of a comprehensive online map that might help us, please me know.
Old Mar 6th, 2013, 12:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
www.ratp.com for Metro maps

this link for an arrond. map

http://www.aviewoncities.com/paris/arrondissements.htm
Old Mar 6th, 2013, 12:31 PM

http://tinyurl.com/aj2q3zp

http://goparis.about.com/od/parisnei...ndissement.htm

I can't think of an arrondissement that doesn't have easy access to métros or lots of cafés and shops, but having said that most first-time visitors seem to head for the 4th-7th and prefer being close to the river.
Old Mar 6th, 2013, 12:43 PM

We stay in the 6th or 7th, the most centrally located arrondissements, making it easy to walk or take the metro.
Old Mar 6th, 2013, 12:44 PM

I like the 4th and 6th a lot for your kind of trip for the very reasons St Cirq suggests.

For the first time visitor, the St Germain area in the 6th is perfect if you can afford it. It has easy access to shopping, twisty streets, museums, the Seine, Notre Dame, the Latin Quarter, and, for your daughter, the Jardin de Luxembourg.

If you were willow-thin, dressed in black and wore architect glasses, I might have a different suggestion.

We have made enough trips that we are now actively seeking to stay in different areas: this May in the 14th, then up into the 10th maybe next time.
Old Mar 6th, 2013, 12:53 PM

We like the 6th arrondisement best. It is centrally located for walking, close to the Seine, museums, lots of botiques,cafes and bakeries and the most beautiful garden in Paris, Luxembourg Garden.
Old Mar 6th, 2013, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much - This is super helpful. We will scour the 4th, 6th & 7th. I did find a hotel today that is in Montparnasse called Hotel De La Paix. We need a hotel that has a triple accomodation and this hotel seems to have rooms with 3 beds.

dukey1 & StCirq - Thanks for the maps!
Ackislander - I laughed out loud at your description.
Old Mar 6th, 2013, 05:02 PM

KCapuani, I agree with Ackislander:

“For the first time visitor, the St Germain area in the 6th is perfect if you can afford it. It has easy access to shopping, twisty streets, museums, the Seine, Notre Dame, the Latin Quarter, and, for your daughter, the Jardin de Luxembourg.”

I stayed in the 6th on the Rue Dauphine last June a few minutes walk from Pont Neuf and Notre Dame – was able to walk to most museums/attractions. For first timers, you want to be near the river. Suggestion - study the location (Google Map) of whatever hotel/apartment you are considering before committing.

Enjoy Paris…
Old Mar 6th, 2013, 06:05 PM

The Hotel de La Paix (there's a ton of hotels in Paris of the same name!) in Montparnasse -- I'd say go with that hotel. I've stayed in a hotel close by, and I've passed it many times.

It's a block from the 6th; about 3 blocks from the Luxembourg gardens; a 15 minute walk to the Musee d'Orsay, and virtually around the corner from all of the very cool restaurants, bars, cafes along Montparnasse that were made famous by the likes of Sartre, Hemingway, etc.

It's also SUPER close to rue Montparnasse (not to be confused with the boulevard of the same name)and all of the creperies that line that street. Crêperie Josselin is my favorite, as it is of so many. There's always a line, but it goes quickly! Cash only. The hotel is also along Bus Route 68 that takes you on a scenic route around Paris.

And it is VERY close to a number of Metro stations -- closest would be Raspail. Also, you get the wonderful outdoor market along Edgar Quinet on Wednesdays and Saturdays!
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Great to know HuisClos! Hotel de la Paix Montparnasse is definitely a front runner. And a whole street of creperies sounds divine.
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 07:22 AM

"If you were willow-thin, dressed in black and wore architect glasses, I might have a different suggestion."

I love this comment. Years ago we had an architect estimate a construction job for us and his estimate was astronomical (three times the final cost we paid). Anyway my husband said when their glasses are smaller than your glasses you can't afford it! aybe it's the same with paris boutiques and hotels
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 07:38 AM

Although I've stayed all over Paris since the mid 1970s, I've stayed the most in the 6th as I like how central it is, the various numbers of bus lines, and having two different metro lines (#10 and #4) in the same district.

As for hotels, below is the link to my hotel thread.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...

Jump to the bottom of the thread and then scroll up to Dec 31,2010. In that section, I have categorized the recommended hotels, by district, and have provided websites.

Happy Travels!