Search

montmartre

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 09:46 AM
glo

montmartre

I am staying in Montmartre for a week in January and have been told only negative things about the area. Can someone share some positive experiences with me?

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 10:01 AM
lisa

Montmarte is great. I stayed in a wonderful hotel there with my 10 year old and mother, on a wonderful spring vacation once. We could view the Eiffel Tower from our hotel room over the rooftops of Paris. Couldn't believe it when it started sparkling at night. It was awesome. Montmarte is a real French neighborhood with plenty to do. And, it is easy to access via the Metro, is picturesque, has fun outdoor arts activities and shops, good vistas, good shops, a good little fresh vegie market on Sundays (?). When you get there, ask about cool places at your hotel. Geez! What are your informants thinking?

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 10:19 AM
tee

Prostitutes are plentiful and readily available!

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 10:23 AM
Thomas

Montmartre is very nice. Sure the métro around Barbès-Rochechouart or Château Rouge is not the most appealing but it's not unsafe. The "nicer" part of Montmartre is on the other side of the Sacre-Coeur towards the town hall (Mairie) of the XVIIIème arrondissement (what we call in Paris "le bon XVIIIème&quot. Take the Montmartrobus from Place Pigalle to the Sacré-Coeur (you can use any Métro ticket on it). Favorite buses of mine from the Mairie du XVIIIème are: No. 80 that goes by Gare Saint-Lazaire, down some of the Grands Boulevards to Rond-Point-des-Champs-Elysées and then onto Avenue Marceau (most exclusive shopping street in Paris), then over the Seine past the Ecole Militaire/Invalides and into the XVème arrondissement; No. 68 from Place de Clichy that goes over the Seine and stops at Bac/Saint-Germain on the Rive Gauche, a short walk to the popular St. Germain-des-Près and the Quartier Latin. You will find some neighborhood restaurants around the rue Caulaincourt and the Mairie du XVIIIème as well -- a little more off the tourist track; very residential neighborhoods with fine apartment buildings. Visit the Parisian Transport Authority at www.ratp.fr. You can download maps and read all sorts of information. Have a great trip!

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 01:16 PM
xxx

I think the area that's really bad is near the metro station Barbes-Rouchart (sp.?). It's got its charm in a way-touristy also. Personally I prefer staying in either St. Germain or the Latin Quarter.

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 01:35 PM
papillon

If you take the metro, watch out for your billford or purse... the metro around that aerea has a Very bad reputation ...Others than that Montmartre has a charme unique..have a great time in paris.. But be aware of your surrounding...Ciao

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 02:03 PM
Joyce

I love Montmartre. It is my favorite part of Paris. Parts of it are very charming, very old-world France. <BR><BR>On the other hand, I have to agree that some sections of Montmartre are not particularly safe. The last time I was there, there were several young toughs hanging out around the Absesses Metro station, and gave every indication of being up to no good.<BR><BR>Visit Montmartre, but do not let your guard down, and keep a tight grip on your belongings at all times, especially around the Metro stations.