Montorgueil or Marais?

Search

Montorgueil or Marais?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Montorgueil or Marais?

Which area would be better to stay in? We prefer to be in a location which has good options for restaurants (we are foodies), open air markets / small food stores, and close to public transportation.

For Montorgueil, is it just one street that has most of the activity? Or are the surrounding side streets filled with cafes and good restaurants? Does it empty out at night? The location we are considering to stay at is at the intersection of Rue St. Denis & Rue de Turbigo. Is this section part of the red light district? Is this area and the Les Halles area safe at night?

For Marais, which part of this area would be ideal? The areas we are considering are close to the Pont Marie metro, or in between Temple & Republique metro, or one next to Archives Nationale?

OR - right across on the left bank by St.Michel metro?
Old Feb 7th, 2012, 11:22 PM

As my personal choice I'd choose Le Marais. Good transportation and loads for cafes ans restaurants in the area and nearby, easy to walk to the Isles and across the Seine. Montorgueil is a bit harder to get around and to me only the main street hlds much
Old Feb 7th, 2012, 11:23 PM

There is a nice hotel Caron de Beaumarchais located right off Rue St Antoine and close to great bus transportation or the Bastille or St Paul metro
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 09:24 AM

Montorgueil is really one street. It is a pedestrian shopping street, so people refer to the "Montorgueil area" but it isn't really an area like the Latin Quarter or St Germain or Marais which really had a meaning. But that street has food vendors on it, so that should be more than enough for you in that area. I wouldn't say the surrounding side streets are "filled" with cafes and restaurants, but I wouldn't say that about some spots in the Marais, either. There are some not too far away in both cases.

I think you would prefer the Marais from what you say, to be honest. Some streets up near Sentier just have a lot of cheap stores on them, I think that is the center of some industry, like the textile trade (or used to be). Le Marais is more gentrified in general for a larger area, it seems to me. Meaning if you are foodies, you will find more places like you want closer down there, I would speculate.

Rue Turbigo has a lot of stores on it, as I recall, at least up near the Temple metro. The location you cite is really around the Etienne Marcel metro stop. It's okay around there but where is the place you are considering in the Marais? I don't think in-between Temple metro and Republique metro is the same as what most people like about the Marais, and it isn't even really the Marais, as far as I'm concerned. Would be convenient for the metro, I guess. I don't like the area around Pont Marie metro, it's not very residential right there as far as I'm concerned. There are lots of govt buildings and then the big boulevards with all the traffic, but maybe you are using that term loosely and it's really some blocks away. Where exactly is it.

I don't like the area around Les Halles and wouldn't stay around there. Not going to get into arguments with those who will chime in about how safe Paris is everywhere, been there enough, don't like it and I don't think it's as safe as some other areas. It's unappealing in many ways, anyway, even if it were safe.

IN reality, any of those places are probably fine (not sure why you mention Les Halles as you don't cite an apt near it). I'd go with the Archives location as the probably best bet. I would never want to stay right near the St Michel metro stop, ugh.
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 10:36 AM

My favorite street market in located just off Place Bastille. the Thus and Sunday Richard Lenoir market.
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses.

I think the Marais area would probably suit us the best.

Which part of the Marais is the actual "centre"?
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 10:52 AM

I admit to a bias towards Rue Montorgueil, one street that goes on for a number of blocks. Its shops open on days when those of many other shopping streets are not. Always lively and bustling with lots of cafes, restaurants etc. For a picture of the street look at Fodor's France 2011 or 12 on page 22. However, there are better locations near Rue Montorgueil than the one mentioned.
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 10:55 AM

Les Halles is at the beginning of rue Montorgueil, so I suspect that is why the two were mentioned together. You'll find several good shops and restaurants along rue Montmartre (the steet west of rue Montorgueil as well those on rue Montorgueil.
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 10:58 AM

Marais..I suppose Place des Vosges would be the hub.

I stayed at this place years, ago, it has been refreshed:

http://www.bretonnerie.com/htm/eng/engindex.html

Bustling area.
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 11:24 AM

Jeanne D'Arc hotel in the Marais is a good hotel and a great value. Have stayed there and the Caron de Beaumarchais (we only stay in apartments now) and think that Jeanne D'Arc is a better value for the money.
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 12:04 PM

not sure what your budget is but this place is nice

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...de_France.html

own website pictures

http://www.bonne-nuit-paris.com/inde...tegory&catid=3
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 12:12 PM

have you considered a flat

this place is beautiful in marais/pompedou

http://www.holiday-rentals.co.uk/p616779a
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 12:22 PM

We stayed in this apartment in December in Marais
http://www.vrbo.com/79965
Lovely apartment. Convenient location. Charming owner. Would definately stay there again!
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 12:23 PM

the above apartment is near the south part of Marais near to the maison de ville, (a gorgeous building) but with easy access to other places too.....

its ideal for marais and for easily crossing over onto ille st louis (lots of boutiques shops and restaurants/ cafes, great cheese shop too) or ille de cite (notre dame locataion). This means you can also quickly cross over to the left bank. So you are kind off in between Marais, the islands (pompedou area to west- which is very lively with loads of restaurants too)

We stayed on ille st louis last time ( i cant find the studio apartment anywhere now) but it was a great area to be based at in our opinions, walked everywhere almost) This place is even better as you are in Marais and have all that too.

BTW there is a lovely little park behind notre dame, great for a picnic
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 12:25 PM

oops sorry my last post was relating to the post above it but one (although am sure PRLCH's is just as nice)