Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What is area rue Cels, Montparnasse like to stay in?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, we've stayed in Paris several times, usually in Rue Montorgueill area. This time its just for 3 nights on our way home after a long trip. I'm looking at Hotel Agenor - it seems well located for getting there from SW France, and departing from CDG airport. Does this area have character to stay in? We'd like to find inexpensive places to eat in, and a bit of "character". I've been to Tour Montparnasse and the cemetry etc, but never really looked at staying in that area, so I'd love comments thank you.
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 08:57 AM

sure, I stay in Montparnasse almost every time I'm in Paris. There are zillions of restaurants in the area, from cheap to more expensive. I like it because it's a very convenient area for metro/train and general transportation but isn't right next to the Seine or where hordes of tourists stay or are. Sure, there are plenty in Montparnasse, but not as many because a lot of people consider it "far out." I lived in that area when I went to school in the summer in Paris a couple times, though, so it sort of is very familiar to me and homey. I don't know that particular hotel, around the Gaite are some sex shops and theatres of some kind I don't go to -- Sartre used to live on rue Cels, however, but in a different hotel (the Mistral, which may still be there).

If you want some area with cobblestones and looking like real old buildings, etc., it won't suit you (ie, like the Marais and old parts of the island or St Germain).
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 10:50 AM

La Cagouille is nearby; one of the best seafood restaurants in Paris; and relatively cheap, 26E for two courses. Check out their web site.
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both for this information. Does it have a "neighbourhood" sort of atmosphere? We've walked around, but not south of the Cemetry (where this street is) so I cannot visualise it. We thought it would be a less expensive way to stay in this area, and then from there, walk/metro to go to the St Germain area, Musee D'Orsay. Having stayed in the Rue Montorgueill area we like the idea of spending the 3 nights in the left bank area. I'd be happy to have suggestions of other places, or hotels too. Thanks so much.
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 06:40 PM

You know you can 'walk' the streets using the "Street View" of Google Maps...
It is very much a normal neighborhood, no 'sights' to see, just ordinary businesses, apartment buildings, roving markets, etc.
Rue Daguerre is the nearest market street, and then you have a twice-week market at Edgar Quinet. There are several restaurants on rue Daguerre, or along rue du Chateau, just across ave du Maine.
You can use the metro, or also bus # 28 and 58 that run along ave du Maine. It's a bit far to think of walking to Saint Germain or anywhere of 'tourist' interest, but transport is very good.
The Agenor refreshed or renovated their rooms about 2-3 years ago, and appear to be upgrading as time goes by (I like to view various hotels online over time, but haven't stayed at the Agenor).