Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris - which hotel has the best location?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2016, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to Paris for the 1st time in 2 weeks and I found some options within my budget but can't decide which hotel to book and I'm in a hurry. I'll be visiting all the big sights, but want a hotel in a place with some night life (places to eat and drink something after all touristy activities), in a safe area, near the main attractions and metro stations.

These are my options:
1) Holiday Inn Paris - St. Garmain De Pres at 92 Rue de Vaugirard
2) Mercure Paris Notre Dame Saint Germain des Prés at 20 Rue Du Sommerard
3) Hotel Design Sorbonne at 6 Rue Victor Cousin
4) Hotel Les Bulles de Paris at 32 Rue Des Ecoles

Any reason why any of these places (even though the last 3 are fairly close to one another) is better located than the other?
Old Oct 7th, 2016, 10:03 AM

It doesn't matter, they aren't that far apart, I presume you picked them for their location.

Personally, I've stayed at the Sorbonne and that's a good location because it is off on a side street so a little quieter except that quarter is cozy, of course, and you can hear people yelling in the streets at night sometimes, going home from bars, even then. At least it isn't on a major street. And it isn't near a metro stop, only the RER, although there are a couple buses that stop around there. You can walk down to rue des Ecoles to get the Cluny metro stop but not to go north.

I don't think it really matters much, to be honest. I think the one on rue Vaugirard is better located for transportation options, actually, as it is near metro stops for 3 different lines (Rennes, Sevres-Baylone and St Sulpice). So that's nice. I've stayed near the one on rue Sommerard and it wasn't my favorite location, partly because you have to transfer more to go anywhere by metro as it's only near the no 10 line stops which only go E-W. But some people get excited about being near the Seine, which both those 2 are, and don't want to do anything but walk around there, in which case the SOmmerard or Ecoles ones would be best.

If you want to take the RER to/from the airport, pick Sorbonne.
Old Oct 7th, 2016, 10:54 AM

>>> near the main attractions
Many people come here looking for an accommodation that satisfies this requirement. However, if you look at the map of Paris, you quickly realize that attractions are all over Paris and choosing a location based on this criteria would counteract something you need to do many times such as eating without having to find transport back to hotel at night.

Of your choices, Sorbonne locations are just as acceptable as any other places to visit attractions while giving you enough local options.
Old Oct 7th, 2016, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

>> some people get excited about being near the Seine <<

I believe that's not my case. With all the walking I think I'll do, I figured I'll see the Seine enough that I don't have the need to stay near it.

The hotel on rue Sommerard was actually at the bottom of my list and you just made me cut it.
Old Oct 7th, 2016, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

>> greg, do you think that choosing a place at Sobornne I'd get more of a local vibe than at the one at rue de Vaugirard since it's so close to Boulevard du Montparnasse?
Old Oct 7th, 2016, 12:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Please remember that in many parts of Paris you don't have to walk far to get to a Metro stop. Once we stayed in a hotel which was, literally, in sight (at the hotel front door) of two Metro stations. And that was about all the place was good for, transportation-wise.

You would think that getting to "all those sights" would be a piece of cake. Not necessarily. If it were me I would also be very cognizant of WHICH Metro line my hotel was closest to as well as the number of changes (think STAIRWAYS) I would have to make to actually GET to some of those sights.

In the case of the hotel mentioned above, it might as well have been located in Berlin given the changes required to "get" anywhere. BUT, it was close to TWO stops.
Old Oct 7th, 2016, 01:17 PM

We just stayed at the Best Western Aramis which is right across the street from the Holiday Inn and it was a fantastic location!

The neighbourhood had all we needed; bistro/pub, deli, bakery, bank machine and laundry. It was very walkable; in fact we didn't take transit once.

I believe when I was planning I looked at both Holiday inn and Best Western since the pricing was similar. We were very happy with the Best Western.
Old Oct 7th, 2016, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

>> If it were me I would also be very cognizant of WHICH Metro line my hotel was closest to as well as the number of changes (think STAIRWAYS) I would have to make to actually GET to some of those sights <<

Very good observation, Dukey1. I have to admit I hadn't thought of that. I just checked and the metro lines 4 , 6 , 10, 12 and 13 are within a walking distance (0,2mi to 0,4mi) of the Holiday Inn. Just to be sure, I put all the major sights on googlemaps to see which line I could take from that hotel, and the worst I got were 2 line changes to get to some attractions. I don't know if it's the best, but I think it's acceptable.
Old Oct 7th, 2016, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

>> were 2 line changes <<

My bad, it was only one change.
Old Oct 7th, 2016, 03:42 PM

We absolutely loved K+K Hotel Cayre for its location (easy walking to so many major sites)and having the metro stop literally in front. Yes, I do consider WHICH metro line, and it's not the ultimate, but we had super easy transfers from there. Also loved their breakfast... if you book through their web site, they sometimes offer breakfast included. Maybe we were just lucky... but our room was great and we were just thrilled about everything.
Old Oct 7th, 2016, 05:12 PM

Choose based on proximity to Metri and bus lines. Overall the location is convenient so the next criteria for me would be access to public transportation.
Old Oct 7th, 2016, 06:44 PM

We have stayed at that Holiday Inn before, and will stay there again next June, primarily because of its convenient location within walking distance to many major sights. We have stayed in many different hotels in different arrondisements. As a first-timer, you might like to be able to walk to some of those, rather than hop on a metro. It is still convenient to a metro stop when you need one.