Which airline to Rome?

Search

Which airline to Rome?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2011, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which airline to Rome?

Well we have gone back and forth on whether or not we are going to Italy at the end of June and we have finally decide to do it ( I know, I know...!). I will be traveling with my 79 year mom ( who uses a cane and has mobility problems. She also has lung cancer - in remission but she does get winded) and my 16 year daughter. We waited to purchase tickets for several reasons ( my mom's health and the expense of the tickets...yikes!!)

I have (fortunately) several options and I have to decide today or tomorrow at the latest.

Air Transat Club $1258.00 pp
direct from Toronto to Rome.The fare club fare is comparable to coach on the other airlines ( I would not fly coach on AT because of concerns of comfort on an overnight flight)

Air Canada $1425.00 pp coach
on the outgoing flight (overnight) only middle seats scattered are available - may change at check in but unlikely. Ext row not an option. On the return we are fine (center together)

Alitalia $1,008.00 pp (if not this then $1200.00) coach
I have not tbeen able to find out YET what the seat availability is. I am working with ITRAVEL and they could not get the information on Sunday, I called the airline and they were suppose to call me back but no call back ( bad sign???)

I have flown AC several time internationally and they are fine...more $$$ combined with seating issues are holding me back.

AT reviews really scare me but maybe in Club itis alittle better? I am thinking for an overnight it would be good

I have read mixed reviews on Alitalia and do not know what to think

First choice and second choice..thoughts?Thanks in advance for your comments
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 08:24 AM

What's your home airport?
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 08:39 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>>Alitalia $1,008.00 pp (if not this then $1200.00) coach
I have not tbeen able to find out YET what the seat availability is. I am working with ITRAVEL and they could not get the information on Sunday, I called the airline and they were suppose to call me back but no call back ( bad sign???)<<<<

If you know the flight number/time, go on Delta's website and enter your dates. The Alitalia flight will show up as a code share with Delta although the numbers will be slightly different (there will be a small number next to the flight -number 1 probably - find the number 1 which is usually under the departure time and it should say operated by Alitalia). Then click on the view seats feature. Delta usually shows the seats for Alitalia flights. I would dump any travel agent that didn't know this unless they are getting you a better price than Delta shows (not sure if you are stating prices in Canadian $ or US $).
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

KBourbon thanks for the suggestion with Delta. I did this and there are over 60 seats open in coach both ways..seems odd. The prices I noted are in US dollars.

Bardo1 our home airport is Rochester,NY. We are about 3 hours from Toronto. We have flown out of Toronto several Times for international travel with direct flights - better than hoping the luggage is transferred and/or waiting for hours in an airport. To fly to NYC is anywhere from $150.00 - 400.00 more and airlines such as JetBlue will not check luggage through to international flights.

Thanks for your comments
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 09:50 AM

I have flown Alitalia and it was great, good food and wine on time. Good Luck Ciao!
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 10:16 AM

Are you locked into exact dates?

I found an Air Transat non-stop departing 6/26 and returning 7/4 or 7/6 for $608 (that includes ALL taxes/fees). That's coach. Are you SURE you can't fly coach for getting that price? More specifically, what is the exact price tag (difference in costs) you are willing to pay for comfort? Is it really an extra $800/person?
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

bardo1 thank you so much for checking into that! Our dates have little wiggle room - we want to be back by 7/6 and we can leave anytime after 6/21. Want to maximize our time there as much as possible so planned on leaving earlier rather than later.

It is coach on Air Transat that concerns me....seat width is 16.5 in coach vs 17 - 18 on other air lines coach. Also have read some very negative reviews about AT especially for the coach section. Since I no longer work and do not accumulate all the thousands of ff miles anymore we always fly coach. I am also thinking of my mom and her medical conditions coupled with the length of the flight and that it is an overnight flight.
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 12:26 PM

Go Club with Air Transit, it's like a business class, wider seats and 3 attendants for 16 people.
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 01:13 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
You might consider Delta's new Ecomony Comfort seats which you can pay a bit extra and get more recline and more leg space than regular ecomony seats. If you look for your flights on Delta's website, click on the info to view seats and these seats will be in green. I don't know how much extra as I have status with Delta and it's a perk for medallions.
http://www.delta.com/traveling_check...my_comfort.jsp