Delta, Cont. or Lufthansa to AMS in Feb'09?

Old Sep 24th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Delta, Cont. or Lufthansa to AMS in Feb'09?

I am coming up on decision time on booking for a flight DFW to AMS, BRU back to DFW. I've been tracking it on Delta [838.88],Contintal[834.40] and Luft[853.86].

I can't decide if flying through ATL or IAD or EWR should factor into my choice or if there is much difference with the service. there doesn't seem to be much diff with seat size.

Any thoughts? A combo of flights with United and Luft. on Lessno is 783.62 but the times are a little screwey.

And then on Vayama they have close to the same thing for 695.!! but after checking on various forums there is such a mixed response on the company I am leery even though the savings would be terrific.

thanks...lynda
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 11:18 PM

What about KLM and Northwest? There is a nonstop KLM operated, NWA code-share, flight DFW-AMS. Would be 1-stop coming back from BRU.

Are you also searching on the airlines' websites?
Old Sep 25th, 2008, 01:54 AM

I can't decide if flying through ATL or IAD or EWR should factor into my choice or if there is much difference with the service. there doesn't seem to be much diff with seat size.

Personally, I find Delta better than Continental and Lufthansa, but not by much. IAD is probably my least favorite of those airports, but again, the other two aren't exactly great, either.

Personally, I would look at the cost of flying KLM/Northwest, as the non-stop (and connecting in AMS) is significantly better than any of the other airport options. And KLM is decent enough. They aren't my favorite airline, but the DFW flight is on an A330, which is a pretty comfortable plane.
Old Sep 25th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the feedback. I have checked on KLM and northwest and their price is 894. and at almost 60. over Delta's price it gives me pause even though direct for at least one way is nice.

I have been checking on every website imaginable; for Delta and Continental their own sites are cheaper, the other sites [Lessno etc.] give cheaper flights on those 'multiple airlines' groupings or the ones that don't actually tell you the airline.

I know that is SOP and lots of folks do tickets that way but it make me a tad nervous.

lynda
Old Sep 25th, 2008, 02:18 PM

personally, I'd pay the $60 and go direct with KLM. They are OK. Just flew them from ORD - Lagos, Nigeria and it was not bad dat all. I also try to avoid stop overs if I can at a reasonable cost.
Old Sep 25th, 2008, 10:49 PM

The nonstop, to me, is more than just nice. For only $60 more it is an easy decision. I'd only be concerned with my plane taking off that day in DFW, it would be ok even if it was a late departure. No concerns about weather or traffic or missing a flight in another city.

In addition to the DFW-AMS, BRU-xxx-DFW open-jaw I would investigate just getting a roundtrip DFW-AMS-DFW and take the train from Brussels to AMS.