Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to stop between Prague and Paris (with an 11 yr-old)?

Old Apr 20th, 2013, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I'm new here. Husband, 11 year-old son and I are planning our first trip to Europe in either April or May 2014. We want to spend about 12 days and visit Amsterdam, Prague and Paris. We will be taking the train between Prague and Paris and I know it's a long ride. I understand there are some great castles in Germany/France that would appeal to our son - any recommendations if we were to break up that long train ride with an overnight stop?
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 05:09 PM

This is a horrible train ride. You could break it in Schwaebisch Gmuend, where the old town is pretty. Can you break it in Strassburg? That is pleasant. If classic castles are a MUST, then you might have to move around pretty hard.

I would go to bahn.de and see how the trains run from Prague to Paris, then look at the options on your day of travel, then look in detail at the stops that the trains take, and see if something on your path looks like a classy/classic place to stop (it can be small, but if it has character, it can be more memorable and bring more to the young imagination that some ueber-impossible-prop like Neuschwanstein).
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 08:40 PM

Have you considered flying between Prague and Paris? We did this on Wizz air. I can't remember what we paid but remember thinking the price was quite cheap. The French airport this airline uses is a bit of a distance from the center of Paris but the connecting shuttle bus was easy to use.
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 09:05 PM
Original Poster

Did you fly direct?
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 09:00 AM

Yes, this was a direct flight. I just checked their website but don't see this flight listed. Sorry! Perhaps they have changed their routes. My flight was three years ago.

However, If you to to www.whichairline.com they list some direct flights on other airlines.
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 12:03 PM

easyJet and SmartWings, both Low Cost Carriers (LCC) fly Prague to CDG.
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all. We're still mapping out the route so flying may be the option we take. It just seems like a lot of work to go to the airport, through security, and fly such a short distance.
Old Apr 23rd, 2013, 10:53 AM

>

Prague's airport is within 5-10 miles of the city. It is very easy to get to. Personally, I wouldn't classify that as a lot more work. It is an easy bus ride on public transportation or an easy taxi trip.

The Czech Republic and France are both members of the Schengen Area. This means for most practical purposes a flight from Prague to Paris is no different than a flight from New York City to Cleveland. You don't have to clear immigration in Paris and are free to leave the airport after the plane lands. You can take an RER train or a taxi into the city.

>
Great circle, Prague to Paris is 531 miles. For comparison, something like Atlanta to O'Hare is only about 75 miles further. That is a fair distance. I think the bigger thing to me though is the time difference.

With only 12 days for 3 cities, flying for roughly the same or cheaper than the train, can give you an extra half a day in Prague or Paris. I love European trains, but this is a situation (in my opinion) where it doesn't make a lot of sense to go that route.
Old Apr 23rd, 2013, 02:34 PM

I'd definitely fly if there were reasonable flights, that isn't a short distance by train, it takes many hours, but if you want to stop somewhere in-between, that could be a reason.

I love Easyjet, it is a great airline, and the Prague airport isn't that far out. True, airports always take time and trouble, but that is a very long train ride and it will cost a whole lot more to go by train, also, I would imagine. I think you can get those tickets for about 50 euro. However, and this is a big thing and why I changed my itinerary -- the only flights from Prague to Paris are late at night, you don't arrive until about 11 pm. No way do I want to arrive in a city at that time of night, so I think that is a reason to consider the train if you do want to stop somewhere else. Or look for another airline than Easyjet if that is also the case on the date you want. I wouldn't hesitate for any other reason that the night flight issue.
Old Apr 23rd, 2013, 05:13 PM

>

It personally doesn't bother me (I've done it before), but I can understand why arriving that late would give people reservations. The SmartWings flight is significantly earlier. It leaves Prague at 12:35 and gets into CDG at 2:15 p.m. That would solve any potential night flight issue.
Old Jun 2nd, 2013, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

After much discussion, the Europe trip is now booked for April 2014 and we've decided to fly from Prague to Paris. It just opens up so much more time to spend sight seeing. Thanks to everyone for your tips!
Old Jun 2nd, 2013, 09:39 AM

Have a wonderful trip!
Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 08:41 PM

Good choice. Have a good trip!.