Reload this Page >

Where to Stay in Rome for $100

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 08:39 PM
Evan Foster

My girlfriend and I are recent college grads heading to Rome and Florence in early February. We will be in Rome for approximately 5-6 days. I am especially interested in being within a short distance of the ancient sites, as I was an ancient history major, and that is my primary interest. I am looking for suggestions on a reasonably nice hotel that will allow us a place to lay our heads and get in and out. Price is a primary concern, but if there is something you would recommend as a good value, I'd like to hear it. Thanks in advance!

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 04:51 AM
elaine

HI<BR>If you do a search here on Rome Hotel <BR>you will find many suggestions, including some from a list that National Geographic Traveler magazine published a year or so ago about Rome hotel bargains. I don't know if you can access that list from the magazine's archives.<BR><BR>I have a file on Rome (that includes info from the above list) and on Florence; if you'd like to see them, email me.

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 05:51 AM
Book Chick

Hi Evan,<BR>You might want to check this pensione out:<BR><BR>http://www.pensionepanda.com/<BR><BR>A friend of mine stayed here, and really liked it a lot.<BR><BR>Hope you love Rome, it's difficult not to!<BR><BR>Buon Viaggio,<BR>BC

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 05:56 AM
xxx

<BR><BR>To help with the crush of tourists during the Jubilee Year, Rome encouraged people to open bed and breakfasts. You might want to check into them as an inexpensive alternative to hotels.

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 06:39 AM
ellen

You might also consider staying in a convent. Look for the book &quot;Bed and Blessings&quot; which lists many convents in Rome which accept paying guests. I stayed in a convent last year just around the corner from the Piazza Navona for only about $35 a night.

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 01:41 PM
Sandy

Ellen,<BR>What did you think of the convent? Breakfast included, curfew? I will be staying at one on the Vatican side of the Tiber when I first arrive. Rate is 115 euro for a double. Plan to move over the river for the remainder of the visit and not sure whether to try a convent, bed-breakfast, or 3 star hotel. Sandy

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 06:34 AM
Evan Foster

Thanks for the replies thus far. I am about ready to purchase an open-jaw ticket from Philadelphia to Venice for the beginning of February, and flying out of Rome 11 days later. Couple more questions:<BR><BR>I am looking at the Art Deco hotel in Venice and the Hotel Italia in Rome. Does anyone have any experience with either of these two places? They seem to have good reviews on Venere.com, and are in my price range- $75-80 a night.<BR><BR>Will it be too cold in February? I have been looking at the temperatures, and they seem a bit iffy. Anyone been to Italy in February?

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 10:40 AM
KT

I stayed at the Italia last December and I think it will suit your needs. It was about my fourth or fifth time in Rome and I didn't care about an atmospheric neighborhood (already done that) nor great decor and amenities (I was out and about most of the time). All I needed was a decent inexpensive place to sleep for a few nights. I stayed in two different single rooms, at the beginning and end of my time in Italy, and both were small but clean, comfortable, reasonably attractive, with modern well-functioning bathrooms. I remember that even though the temps got down to freezing, the heating in the room was more than adequate, which is not always true of budget hotels. It's not a &quot;destination hotel&quot; but I'd definitely stay there again.

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 11:00 AM
Dale

Stayed at Pensione Panda a few weeks ago and found it very clean and in an excellent location. You can take the train from FCO to Termini and take the Metro to Spagna. Its about a two block walk. As I recall, the tariff was about 85 Euro for a doubla with bath. Right downstairs is Fiascharetta Beltrame, a hole in the wall trattoria that has excellent Abbachia Scotadita.