Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Crazy question! but has anyone gotten a haircut in Rome?

Notices

Old Feb 21st, 2004, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If so, can you recommend a stylist? I have a friend that claims she got an awesome haircut there, but she can't remember the salon's name, Weird I know, but I was wondering, since I won't be able to cut my hair here in the U.S. (I'm letting it grow for my wedding), but I want to chop it off as soon as possible. Thanks!
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 12:56 PM
ira

Can't help, Belle, but Mark Twain has a wonderful discussion about being shaved in Rome. See "Innocents Abroad".
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 02:21 PM

Audrey Hepburn got a wonderful haircut in Rome in "Roman Holiday.." But that was over 50 yrs. ago so doubt the haircutter is still there. -
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 03:01 PM

As a rule of thumb I have found that Hair Stylists who have salons either in or adjacent to the large international hotels are often good, as they seem to be able to cope with a wide range of clientele, styles etc.
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 05:41 PM

I would suggest trying Jean Louis David. They have the latest hairstyles and they are really good. My hair is curly unfortunately so there is not much to do with it, but if you have straight hair there are dozens of choices of styles!
There is also I SARGASSI, on Via Frattina if I recall well. Really trendy. There is a Jean Louis David studio near Campo de' Fiori and one at the Romanina Mall (this latter is outside Rome).
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 06:13 AM

I Sargassi is a very good salon with experienced hair cutters.
Also, Jean Louis David is not a good choice, as it is a very basic chain that is all over(including USA)and certainly nothing special to go to Rome for. If you want to have special attention and pamper yourself in Rome, Jean Louis David is NOT th way to go. You may want to check Time Out Rome as they may have some of the better salons listed.
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 06:22 AM
LJ

This won't work for everyone, but I happened to admire the haircut on the hotel receptionist when in Florence and needed a cut; she was very flattered (Italians are very reticent about personal compliments-its taken for granted here that you would look good).She not only told me where she got it done but made the appointment and drew a map.

If you don't feel too awkward, ask when you see a style you like.
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 06:38 AM

Chiming in with another opinion: This may have no relevance for Rome, but the haircut I got at Jean Louis David in Paris was the best of my life. I only hope Raphael is still there when I return.
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

WOW! This forum is awesome I didn't think I would get a response! Thanks! I will defenitely try the salons mentioned!
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 05:14 AM

My frien has a habit of getting her hair cut in a good salon whatever country she is in. You have to be a bit brave if there is a language barrier and realise different cultures have different ideas of what looks good or appropriate.

People here in Ireland die laughing when I show them a picture of me in a friends wedding in NJ. I look like an extra from the sopranos or Dallas with my big hair (I was not a happy camper). Good idea to bring a picture . Go for it.