Reload this Page >

Gift for Francophiles?

Search

Gift for Francophiles?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 04:03 AM
Sarah Smith

Gift for Francophiles?

My sister and her husband are real Francophiles - I wonder if anyone might have suggestions of something I can buy them both as a gift that relates to their passion?<BR>Wine is out - they know what they like and already have a basement full! And I bought them a glossy photo book last year.<BR>Any other ideas? Under $100 please.<BR>Thanks so much for any suggestions!

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 04:12 AM
Ira

Video or CD of French operas?

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 04:21 AM
Abbey

A selection of French cheeses, cheese board &amp; a nice cheese knife? Could also be packaged with pretty paper napkins, &quot;wine charms&quot; for glasses, and some gourmet crackers.

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 04:37 AM
PatrickW

Or a CD of French chanson. A quick web search turns up one on sale from www.bluenote.com with a good selection, likewise www.amazon.fr<BR><BR>Try some searching for perhaps less internationally-known names like Lucienne Boyer..<BR><BR>

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 04:51 AM
Trish

Sarah, a great idea (for your sister at least) is something that I found out about here on the Fodors site - a silk scarf printed with a map of Paris.<BR>I bought one by mail order and it is NICE Deep red border, lots of detail of all the sights etc.<BR>Fun to wear and your sister can use it to plan her next trip to the City of Lights!<BR>Hope this helps, Trish

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 04:53 AM
Trish

sorry - just re-read my post and realized that I didn't give you the website. It's www.mapscarves.com. You can order online. Price is $69 if I remember correctly.<BR>Cheers, Trish

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 05:21 AM
Marvin the Dancing Hippo

<BR><BR>A book, but not a glossy photo book. Richard Bernstein's excellent &quot;Fragile Glory: A Portrait of France and the French.&quot; Bernstein is the former Paris bureau chief of The New York Times. <BR>

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 06:05 AM
Ira

A book of Art Buchwald's columns from when he was a reporter in Paris.

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 06:26 AM
Alix

French-style linen? Tablecloths from Provence??

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 07:32 AM
TipTop

topping

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 07:47 AM
Betty

As a dyed-in-the-wool francophile, I would love just about anything ordered from this online catalog.<BR><BR>http://www.ruedefrance.com/cgi-local...exe/?E+scstore

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 07:53 AM
none

For the past three years I've been buying artisanal French chocolates from www.zchocolate.com as Christmas gifts and everyone seems to be very pleased. You could also look at My French Store for tablecloths and stuff.

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 08:32 AM
Carla

You could also try: http://www.basicfrenchonline.com/<BR>Lots of lovely stuff for Francophiles (though I have just checked the Paris Scarf mentioned above and it does look rather fun!(

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 10:45 AM
kate

If you're looking for something really inexpensive, and your Francophile friends are cat lovers, you could get them the calendar or agenda for &quot;Le Chat 2003: Vingt Ans Apres&quot; by Philippe Geluck. Le Chat is a fat, cynical cartoon cat in a suit. Geluck has been publishing cartoons for 20 years, and published a 20th anniversary book this year - hence the calendars and agendas. You can order them on the Amazon.fr website (and I was able to order them from the Canadian Amazon.ca website). A search for &quot;Geluck&quot; and &quot;calendrier&quot; and &quot;chat&quot; should turn them up.

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 10:59 AM
boules

How about some real p&eacute;tanque balls (boules)? <BR>This place has the real ones from the main manufacturer in France, La Boule Obut: www.petanque-america.com<BR>Well under $100 and it's a great gift for a couple as they can play it together.

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 05:54 PM
Bree

Topping

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 06:04 PM
Belinda

From the website for the Louvre (gift shop link) I had a calendar sent to my daughter. If was more fun for her to actually get mail from Paris than from me.

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 06:06 PM
StCirq

Check out www.frenchcoton.com - my favorite store in Sarlat that now has a website. Lots of beautiful, high-quality items from the P&eacute;rigord and southwest of France now available from this store.

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 06:27 PM
Gail

maison du chocolate now has stores in NYC and by going to their website, you can order a variety of chocolates. Williams-Sonoma also has cheeses from Bordeaux, Jean D'Alos'. Most excellent as I was there a few months ago and he has a deep passion for his cheeses.<BR><BR>Thanks for all the above suggestions, as my husband and I are turning into Francophiles, and i look forward to checking out the various websites!

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 01:07 AM
Carol W.

Oooh - what a lot of wonderful links!<BR>Thanks so much everyone for posting!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -