Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to stay before leaving from Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2003, 09:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I will be returning by train from Germany in early August with my 2 daughters. We fly out of Paris at about noon. I am wondering if anyone can suggest accomodations that is near the airport and easy to get to from the train station? Would we be better to stay outside of Paris and come into the airport in the morning? I'm not familiar with the trains or the locations of the stations so any help in this area would be great. We will be travelling from Koln. Thanks!
Jackie
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 03:51 AM

Jackie, I'm afraid I can't help with train logistics, but I have taken note from previous posters of 3 beautiful chateaux hotels that are near CDG airport. They are:

Chateau d'Ermenonville south of senlis near CDG room for $125
http://www.chateau-ermenonville.com/accueiluk.htm

Chateau Chaumontel in Luzarche also near CDG www.chateau-chaumontel.fr/

Chateau de Montvillargenne 15 mins from CDG www.chateaudemontvillargenne.com

The first 2 are reasonable. The last is expensive. For the first 2 I think the nearest train station would be Luzarche or Senlis. You might have to go into Paris & then change trains but it would be convenient on your day of departure. You can check schedules on sncf.com These hotels are all near the castle at Chantilly-fabulous! Have fun.
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 04:26 AM

There is Thalys (high-speed) train service from Cologne to Paris. The trains run several times a day, and they arrive at the Paris Nord station (Gare du Nord). From Gare du Nord, you can take the RER subway line directly to CDG airport. (There are also several other ways to get from the Gare du Nord area to the airport, discussed in numerous threads in this forum.)

If you have a noon flight, I'd certainly suggest staying in downtown Paris the night before you leave -- it's a lot more fun and interesting than staying in an airport hotel. If your flight is at noon the following day, you have plenty of time to get up in the morning and be at the airport by 10am. (The RER train, for example, takes 25 minutes from Gare du Nord to CDG.)
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 06:08 AM

If your plane leaves at noon, you should be at the airport by 10 AM. Therefore, you are better off staying overnight at the aiport. These are 2 hotels at Charles de Gaulle Airport: Ibis Gares Roissypole Hotel, tel. 1-800-SOFITEL; CDG Hilton, tel. 800-445-8667.

If you decide to ignore this advice and stay overnight in central Paris, do not depend on the RER to get you to the airport on time. I have taken the RER-airport train several times, and this train is not what it used to be:

First, you have to worry about train strikes which can be called at the last minute. This happened to me a few years ago. This was a 1-day strike, and I did not find out it until I reached the train station. I almost missed my plane as a result.

Another bad experience when I was in Paris a few weeks ago: The RER was no longer stopping at the Air France terminal. Instead, all train passengers had to leave the train at the first terminal and then take a bus. I was told this is a permanent change made for security reasons.

Yet another security meaure: When I went to Gare du Nord to get the train, the entrances to the airport train's track were all roped off, supposedly for security reasons. Security guards were directing everyone to another track. For the next half-hour, numberous announcements were made over the loudspeaker, all in French. Finally at the last minute, an announcement said the airport train would be leaving in 2 minutes from yet a different track. There was a mad rush to run up and down staircases (with luggage) to catch the train. If a kind person had not interpreted the announcement for me, I would never have reached the train in time.

Because of all these problems, I advise everyone not to depend on the RER for reaching the airport on time.
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 04:53 PM

We just stayed at the Hilton Airport CDG on 5/30/03. The Hotel is very pleasant and had a great pm buffett for 30 Euros each. I stayed on a frequent flyer point voucher..you may be able to get discount rates. To/from the Airport is a free Hilton Shuttle..you just go to the center aisle for hotel shuttles.
It might be worth catching a cab to the airport or Air France has a free shuttle from very specific locations..you'll have to look at the Air France site.
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 12:53 PM

Plan to stay near CDG prior to return flight. Spouse flying out of Terminal 2 and I'm out of Terminal 1. Looking at the 3 IBIS Hotels - which is the better location for catching shuttle to terminals. Or any other suggestions.
Thanks for your input.
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 01:30 PM

PhyllisB:

The Ibis Roissypole is the most convenient. It is adjacent to the RER station at CDG. The ADP shuttle (ligne 5) stops almost in front of the Ibis; it takes less than five minutes to reach Terminal 2 (AA, Delta) from the Ibis. It does take about 15 minutes from Terminal 2 to make the loop to the Ibis. All announcements on the ADP shuttle are in English.

This Ibis is more expensive than the other two located near CDG. Most rooms have a double bed; you have to reserve in advance to get two single beds. The rooms are basic with bed, table, shower, toilet, television (satellite with BBC or CNN plus arrival and departure info). Breakfast is extra; we always snack on croissants at the Admirals Club so we skip breakfast at the hotel.
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 01:39 PM

PhyllisB, you want the IBIS Charles de Gaulle Aeroport Gares location, which is the only one on airport, attached to the RER CDG1 stop (otherwise known as Roissypole". Hotel code 1404 on the accorhotels.com web site.

By the way, you may want to upgrade to the adjacent Novotel (hotel code 1014) - the Ibis is pretty basic ;-)

There are frequent "normal" airport shuttle buses to terminals 1 and 2 from Roissypole. Here's a route map:
http://www.adp.fr/webadp/a_cont01.nsf/0/7D6D3B8F4EDA9373C1256B1F0059E5CB/$File/NavCDGj.gif?OpenElement

People on this forum have been getting good rates at the new Marriott Courtyard through Priceline (check out www.biddingfortravel.com). It's off airport though, so somewhat longer shuttle ride (don't know exactly how much longer though).

Hope this helps,
Andre
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 02:13 PM

I'd also vote for staying near the airport... it is simple to take a train into Paris for the evening before, then train back to your hotel so you don't have to rush in the morning (can you tell I'm not a morning person!). I can advise you where NOT to stay..the Comfort Inn CDG. Very cheap, and there was a reason! Room was filthy (dirty sheets, dirty towels), no real mattress (3" piece of foam on a box platform)...clerk at desk didn't speak basic "hotel phrases" in English (I know...I was in France, but usually the hotel clerks could manage basic phrases in English much better than I could in French). Asking for clean sheets was impossible...I finally stripped the bed and brought the dirty ones down to the desk and pointed!

Nice people though, but I would recommend staying elsewhere

Anne

Old Jun 6th, 2003, 02:44 PM

I helped a friend bid on PriceLine for a hotel at CDG, and she was able to stay at the Marriott Courtyard there
for $40/night for a double. If you bid on a 3-star at CDG, you'll get the Marriott, as it's the only hotel listed at the 3-star level. Here's a review of the hotel, which is a quick shuttle ride from the terminals.

Be sure to copy both lines of the URL:
http://pub180.ezboard.com/fpricelineandexpedia
biddingfrm87.showMessage?topicID=181.topic

I found this information at www.biddingfortravel.com. (I'm not associated with PL or BFT)
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 06:18 AM

Thank you for all your suggestions. I will try to book either the IBIS or Marriott. Has anyone heard of the ETAP - apparently this is a hotel near the airport - anyone stayed here - is there shuttle service from all of these hotels directly to airport.
Thanks.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 09:33 AM

Hi I posted a reply under the wrong message head for this message so I will try again! We have booked into the Holiday Inn Roissy early next month. It is supposed to be a three star property and the rate was favourable. It has a complimentary airport shuttle to the Terminals. We have booked a room with two double beds - unusual in France- for our family of four. I would love to hear any feedback from anyone who has alraedy stayed in this hotel. Please note that the internet rate was not as cheap as calling Holiday Inn directly- they had other available specials not posted on the internet.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 09:59 AM

PhyllisB I would avoid ETAP! It is in the same chain as Motel 6. During college I stayed in one in Paris with some friends (which was only a few years ago). Yikes!! The room was garish (neon purple, pink and green with 80's grey) with bunkbeds. The bathroom was akin to an RV bathroom/portalet in the corner of the room. No top sheet, just a blanket. The price: $45/night. I had almost forgotten that experience until your post brought it all back. I can smile about it now. Do yourself a favor and try the other hotels.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 10:24 AM

Thank you for your info on ETAP. Looks like IBIS will suit our needs. Will let you know how everything turns out upon our return.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 01:28 PM

Phyllis, for your info all these hotel chains are owned by Accor, which indeed also owns the Motel6 brand.

List from most deluxe to absolutely basic:
* Sofitel (4-5 star)
* Novotel (4 star Holiday Inn level)
* Ibis (3 star basic)
* Etap (VERY simple - think youth hostel but with your own bathroom)
* Formule 1 (don't ask - shared bathrooms)

More info at:
www.accorhotels.com

Hope this helps,
Andre