HELP me find a 4 star Venice hotel...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fiancee and I will be in Venice for our honeymoon at the beginning of September. I am having a difficult time finding a nice hotel with a good location.
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 11:53 AM

Try hotel ALA. Location is excellent. Some of the rooms have views over a small canal.
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 12:09 PM

There aren't a lot of bad locations in Venice--near the train station and P. Roma and along Strada Nova wouldn't be my first choices, but most other areas are fine. Keep in mind that there are a lot of nice 3 star hotels, too.
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Has anyone stayed at the Flora Hotel? My travel agent is recommending it.
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 12:21 PM

Lots of good feedback here if you search for it. Try typing "honeymoon AND venice AND hotel" in the text box at the top of this page for a start.
You'll get many threads to read through with hotel names and descriptions.

The venere.it website lists literally hundreds of hotels in Venice (with photos), sorted by number of stars, and will show you their locations on a map.

Have you checked the Rants & Raves hotel listings on the Venice section of this site? Another great resource.

Buona fortuna!
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 12:33 PM

Regarding the Hotel Flora -- it's a nice hotel with some nice rooms and some very small rooms. If you reserve there, be sure to ask your travel agent to request (and get written confirmation of) a LARGE room. Otherwise, there are tons of nice hotels in the 3-star and 4-star range to choose from. If you want a really nice 4-star plus, you might consider my favorite, the Metropole, right on the lagoon (Grand Canal) but rather expensive. What the heck, though, for a honeymoon it might be a wonderful once in a lifetime experience. Congratulations and good luck.
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 02:12 PM

Look at the Palazzo Sant Angelo on sinahotels.com. Another great 4*is the Europa Regina-part of the Starwood hotel group if either of you has frequent flyer/hotel rewards.

The Flora gets mostly good reviews here but may not be special enough (though I haven't stayed there) for a honeymoon. Venice is expensive. Lots of good luck.
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 03:01 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Pensione La Calcina, if you can get one of the large corner front rooms over looking the Guidecca canal. Convenient location but a bit away from the hubbub. It's a lovely quaint atmospheric place. Cool calm and quiet. Great furnishings. Room service breakfast available or eat in the dining room downstairs. I think it's only a 3-star though. Read about it for yourself at www.lacalcina.com
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 03:16 PM

Look at the Antico Doge hotel. Its website is http://www.anticodoge.com/
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 08:21 AM

look in to the Colombina, you can search here for past comments.
Completely renovated less than 2 years ago. Double rooms are nicely-sized, with all amenities.

Also the Saturnia Internazionale has some double rooms that are downright huge. I don't know if it's a four or five star. My only caveat with that hotel is that it's an older one, and some rooms definitely need more light and some updating. Wonderful breakfast is provided.
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 09:13 AM

I agree that altough La Calcina and other hotels mentioned are nice, I don't think they are particularly special for a honeymoon. It does depend on what you want to spend...Palazzo Sant Angelo is beautiful with a great view on the Grand Canal..but don't forget the Bauer (the old section) Ca Pisani(newly renovated in the Dorsoduro) and if you can get the top room at the Accademia overlooking the garden that is pretty cool too. If you really want to splurge there is always the Gritti!
Good luck and congratulations on the upcoming wedding
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 09:57 AM
lm

We just returned from Venice two weeks ago and stayed at the Metropole which was very nice. Rooms are a little on the small side but very nice and the bathroom was very nice as well. Great breakfasts although we were not able to use their pretty patio as it was cool in the mornings still. The location right on the Grand Hotel was great also except if you take the vaporetto from the train station down the Grand Canal you have about 7 bridges to haul your luggage up and down. We were too cheap to get a water taxi. I think Route 52 gets you a lot closer because we took that one back to the train but it goes the back canal which was industrial and not at all pretty.
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 10:15 AM

Hi- Check out the Ca' dei Conti (cadeiconti.com) We stayed there in February and loved it. It's a very short distance from San Marco and is located on a beautiful little canal. The water taxi from the airport took us practically to the door. Our group had four rooms and all were very large, as were the bathrooms, which had jacuzzi tubs.
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 12:17 PM

A real nice plurge would be the Hotel Eruopa & Regina. We stayed there and it was fabulous! It's in a great, central but quiet location. I'd stay there again in a heartbeat! (It is part of the Starwood Luxury Collection).
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 12:35 PM

The E-R is a wonderful hotel, but it's a 5 star and priced to match.
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 12:40 PM

We stayed in the 3 star Violino D'Oro - very nice - we really loved it - but not 4 star. Rooms quite small though very pretty and comfortable - we had a corner room with view onto the San Moise square.

Whilst there we also went into the Luna Baglione, where we had considered staying - but hadn't on price grounds - I asked to see a room and they were beautiful - well sized (the one they showed me was anyway and I think it was a standard double), good bathroom and beautifully decorated.

Excellent location.

Kavey
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 12:43 PM
Fins2theL

I don't know what your budget is but I just got a great deal at the Hotel Bauer. Granted we're going in July but the rates are $250EU for a superior room, $285EU for a deluxe room including breakfast (which is on the roof and has a gorgeous view because it's right on the grand canal). I stayed there before in the Palazzo section and they will upgrade you to this "nicer" section if space if available. Wherever you book let them know you're on your honeymoon in case there's space available for upgrades.
The Gritti Palace is another great option and I like the location of both these hotels because they're on the grand canal but a little further down so it's a bit quieter.

Old Jun 5th, 2003, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

I think the MAX we're looking to spend per night is about 275 EURO.

Any other suggestions? I'm still looking for that perfect honeymoon hotel.
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 04:59 PM

Suggest the Splendid Suisse...between the Rialto Bridge & San Marco ; great location & nice hotel in every way !!

Rob [email protected]
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 07:21 PM

We stayed at the Luna Baglioni and got a lot better rate then the Europa. It is in a great location, but we only had a side canal view. I liked it a lot and will stay there again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -