Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to see French films in Paris with English subtitles?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2013, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there,

I'll be in Paris next weekend (November 9th-11th).

I really want to see Blue is the Warmest Colour (La Vie d'Adele), which doesn't come out here in the UK for another 3 weeks.

Can anyone provide some suggestions on how/where I would be able to see the film (with English subtitltes) while in Paris?

Thanks!
Old Oct 29th, 2013, 04:22 PM

Pick up a copy of Pariscope magazine, sold at all news kiosks throughout the city. It comes out on Weds or Thurs, lists the shows at all movie theaters.

All of the non-French-language movies will be listed as either "v.o." (version originale) or "v.f." (version française). You want "v.o." -- that's the one with subtitles.
Old Oct 29th, 2013, 04:55 PM

It is a French movie to begin with. Finding a screening for foreigners who want english subtitles could be tricky in Paris for this movie.

The Pariscope lists 23 cinemas right now, all in VF, and nowhere does it say soutitres anglais or anything like that - see the Pariscope website at

http://www.premiere.fr/horaire/film?...film_id=439932

You can call the British consulate and ask them if there is a cinema they know of where there is a chance of seeing what you want - they may know because maybe they want to see French movies like that?
Old Oct 29th, 2013, 09:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
You will not find English subtitles.
Old Oct 29th, 2013, 09:36 PM

You can find French subtitles for most major movies now for certain screenings, but these are destined for deaf viewers.
Old Oct 29th, 2013, 11:01 PM

>>You can call the British consulate and ask them if there is a cinema they know of where there is a chance of seeing what you want - they may know because maybe they want to see French movies like that?<<

I seriously doubt they would see their role as answering questions such as this from tourists. Furthermore it's a reasonable assumption that any British diplomatic staff posted in France will speak French fluently as part of their job requirements.
Old Oct 30th, 2013, 07:07 AM

Why not just wait a couple of weeks and see it at home? There's lots else to do in Paris. Anyhow, every week you wait gives the film's director and stars extra chance to stir up even more controversy.
Old Oct 30th, 2013, 09:54 AM

You can also find some English language movies that have not been released yet in other countries -- for example "Blood Ties" starring Clive Owen.
Old Oct 30th, 2013, 01:41 PM

Yeah, I would forget trying to find that, it would be like finding movies in English in the US or UK that were subtitled in French. Not going to happen.

I enjoy going to various foreign films in Paris because they are subtitled in French and I can read French much better than I can understand it orally, so I learn some French slang that way. So I go to Spanish, Italian or other foreign films.

Just wait a few weeks to see it at home.
Old Oct 30th, 2013, 01:48 PM

It's relatively easy to find English language movies in English with French titles (the ads will say VO on them). We have seem movies many times - esp when they are having a fest for some director or actor.

But why would anyone show a French movie IN France with English subtitles?
Old Oct 30th, 2013, 02:24 PM

Well, the original question is not that stupid, and it may surprises some of you but it is sometimes possible to see french movies with english subtitles in Paris.
But it is very rare...
It sometimes happens for brand new prints of "répertoire" films : I think that was the case last year for "Les enfants du Paradis", that was shown with english subtitles one or twice a week (at the cinema La Filmothèque?, near the Sorbonne)

It may also happen for a film that has achieved such a success in France and abroad that...tourists may be interested to see it while in Paris. I think that was the case last year with "Intouchables". Once a gain, it is played something like once a week in a particular cinema, mainly on sunday morning (!?).
Here the point is that it has first to be a real success abroad before someone start to think it might interest the tourists. And it' not yet the case with "La vie d'Adèle".

If I see next wednesday in the weekly program that there is a french speaking film with english subtitles playing somewhere, I will let you know.

A french movie buff
Old Oct 30th, 2013, 02:45 PM

Actually, the last French movie that played nonstop in Paris with English subtitles (for more than 10 years) was Emmanuelle. And that was a long time ago.