Seeing a movie in Paris

Search

Seeing a movie in Paris

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seeing a movie in Paris

We're thinking about seeing the French film Jacquou le Croquant while in Paris in February.

I know there are theaters on the Champs Elysées but are there others, and do they ever show films with English subtitles?

Is it easy to get a ticket, by waiting until shortly before the show and buying from the ticket window?

Old Jan 26th, 2007, 10:01 AM

A French movie is not likely to be shown with English subtitles unless it is a special screening.

Is it really popular? Cinemas fill up, like elsewhere, at popular times like Friday night if they are blockbusters, no different. Go late, or during the day.
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 10:12 AM

In France French movies are shown in French. English language movies will be dubbed into French in neighborhood theaters. But in many of the larger theaters in tourist areas they will be shown in English with French subtitles.

So you can see as many English language movies as you want (either new hits or - frequently film festivals - esp in the Latin Quarter. We spent one awfully chilly, rainy evening in a Marx Brothers fetival that was hilarious.)
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. We'll see it in French then, and understand as much as we can Just going will be a new experience for us.

Where in Paris are there theaters showing new films besides on the Champs Elysées?
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 11:59 AM

A 40 centimes copy of Pariscope is all you need. It will have a listing of all the movies with mentionned of VO or VF, times, prices and cinemas address. I usually go to the Bastille area for French movies.
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 12:04 PM
rhapsody

Are you to Paris just to see that movie? What is so special?

Old Jan 26th, 2007, 12:05 PM

There are theaters all over Paris, except I think there's only one in the 7th arr. LuckyLuc is right, just buy a weekly entertainment guide (Pariscope or l'Officiel des Spectacles) which lists all theaters and films showing by arrondisement.

no, they never show a French movie with English subtitles.

Areas with a lot of theaters showing first-run films are the Champs-Elysees, St Germain and Montparnasse.
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 12:13 PM

Paris is a wonderful place to see a movie. The first time I went to see Blade Runner was in the Latin Quarter. I also saw Diva there in a little theatre that had been showing it for almost a year.
My husband and I had a great time when we walked from the Ave. Bourdonnais all the way down to Balard to see the movie Jusqu'au Bout du Monde (until the end of the world), a perfect movie to watch while traveling.

When we go to movies in Paris, we like to look for flicks with lots of atmosphere rather than blockbusters.

Old Jan 26th, 2007, 12:31 PM

No different than at home, theaters everywhere. I went to see a movie (Prete-moi ta main, #1 movie in France at the time - Nov 06) on a Saturday night, 9 euros. Paris shows movies in French. If you want to see an english movie, look for the movie name of the movie (in English) and get VO, which will mean shown Version Originalle, or in its original language, with french sub-titles.
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 12:34 PM

One of the delights of my trip last May was seeing Marie Antoinette (Sofia Coppola's version) at the theater on the Champs-Elysees...a day after going to Versailles.

I know you mentioned new films, but there's a movie theater on the Rue des Ecoles (sorry, I don't know the number address) that shows classic English language films. Singin' in the Rain was playing during my trip.
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 12:53 PM

Here's a link to a wonderful articles on seeing movies in Paris..

http://www.latimes.com/travel/la-tr-...la-home-travel

Wasn't it Beatchick that posted a trip report about david Sedaris and movies..I can't find it! MAry are you out there???
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 01:10 PM

one of my daughter's favorite memories is seeing "the corpse bride" at a montparnasse movie theatre. it was a last minute decision, but we had the pariscope and mappy.com helped us find our way. it was in english (v.o.) with french subtitles.

there is a large concentration of movie theatres in montparnasse. we went into at least three before finding the right one!
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

What a great article Jody! Thanks so much. No we're not going to Paris just to see a movie It's just something we've wanted to do there, but haven't had time before. We love watching French films here at home, so we thought it be great fun seeing one while we're in Paris in February.

As for the film, I don't know what kind of reviews it's had, but it's a new release that sounded interesting to me and the previews look great!
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 02:08 PM

Curious, do they concessions stands with popcorn, candy and soda?
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 08:01 PM
BKP

My post is an answer to the last post. Concessions are extremely different! We saw a movie in Paris (a terrible Tom Cruise flick) because, being two months pregnant, I was craving movie theatre popcorn. They sold popcorn, but it was the weird, stale, prepopped bleh stuff. Not that wonderful, greasey buttery stuff I was craving. The other interesting thing was they did sell ice cream treats, row by row, like at a sports stadium in the states. Having said that, I thought it was a really fun experience. I love to experiencing familiar things with another culture's spin.
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 08:15 PM

I was going to see Little Miss Sunshine in Paris and I SO regret not going.

When I returned to the states I saw it with friends and I was dying, I was laughing so hard. But I would have loved to have been with a French audience to see that film -- to get a sense of their reaction to U.S. popular culture, a Proust academic, wondering if they would know what the MacArthur award is, etc.
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 08:25 PM

BKP - that's not what we experienced in a theatre in the 12th last June. There was a concession stand in the lobby and the popcorn was fresh and hot; and there was no one selling ice cream row by row. Must vary by theatre.
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 11:29 PM

DejaVu, the movie theatre on Rue des Ecoles is around the 31 street block, about a block down from the Hotel St. Germaine. I saw "Ninotchka" with Greta Garbo there. It was English with French subtitles; one of my favorite memories of my Paris trip. Old school style cinema with deep seats. Images2, if you go, don't forget to tip the attendant taking your ticket.
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 08:13 AM

One thing I noticed when seeing movies with Paris was that the audience was much more polite than in America. No getting up and down, no coming in late, no noise, no cell phones. If people were eating popcorn (and they must have been), you couldn't even tell, no smacking and crackling of paper. It was like seeing the movie all by yourself, it was so quiet. Heavenly!

Old Jan 27th, 2007, 08:14 AM

whoops -- "IN" Paris not "WITH" Paris-- I didn't go see movies with Paris Hilton! (thank goodness!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -