Where should we go for Spring break?

Old Oct 18th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where should we go for Spring break?

We have miles on Delta to use and would like to go somewhere for about 10 days in March. We'd be flying from Seattle, would like to go somewhere in Europe and would like your advice.

It will be DH, me and our 16 year old son. We've all been to Ireland twice, Paris and Rome. DH and I have traveled extensively. Given our short time we can't spend a lot of time in transit. Top of our wish list are Sicily, Greece, the Dordogne, but the first 2 might take too long to get to.

We like food, walking, culture - nearly everything but beaches. DS likes trying new things - I'd happily go to Paris and Italy over and over again. We are on the cheap side of things and usually rent an apartment.

Please give me your ideas. I might be a little slow to get back as work is crazy, but I will get back. We need to decide in about a week.

Old Oct 18th, 2008, 10:38 PM

If I had the $ I would go to Greece. I have been reading about how there are plans to develop the islands and that people are concerned that Greek zoning laws are inadequate.

Old Oct 18th, 2008, 11:20 PM

rose,

Seeing that you are flying out of Seattle and using Delta miles, I would suggest Amsterdam. You can probably find a codeshare, nonstop flight, on Northwest.

Basing yourself in Amsterdam, the many daytrip options are limitless by train.

As for an apartment, Maes B&B has apartments. The owners are great

bedandbreakfastamsterdam.com

Tom
Old Oct 19th, 2008, 06:10 AM

If I were using Delta miles at that time of the year I would try for the following:

-definitely Greece but service is only from JFK at that time of the year.Alot of things such as ferry service,outdoor eating don't open until April as we went two years ago and experienced a closed schedule at many places.

-bestfamily vacation we ever took was to Istanbul; Turkey.Its inexpensive,very interesting and my two kids thought it was unbelievable!Again,only out of JFK.

-Or how about Amman Jordan(JFK) and go down to Petra which is supposed to be so fascinating?

-Another option and it combines the best of Italy and France is Nice France. The weather is usually good at that time of the year and there are no crowds.Our family traveled by train and bus all over the south area and so enjoyed the trip.

-Or fly into Venice and leave out of Pisa and enjoy northern Italy with Florence,Cinque Terre,etc.

-Barcelona Spain which would have great weather,good food and interesting sites. You could fly nonstop out of either Atlanta or JFK.

The trouble with Sicily is that you don't know what is going on with Alitalia which you could connect with out of Rome or Milan.Otherwise, you could use Meridiana,Air One or some other flight but have to pay?
Good luck!
Old Oct 20th, 2008, 05:37 PM
jgg

I would consider Spain or Morocco. We did a trip to Morocco in March 2007 with our kids who were 14 and 11 at the time. Definitely one of our best family trips, and our night in the Sahara desert is our favorite family trip memory.

There is a great article in this months National Geographic Travel about two families with teenagers that traveled to Southern Spain and Morocco.
Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 10:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all- I am very interested in Morocco. Given our time constraints we can't go to both S Spain and Morocco I'm leaning towards Morocco. Or Sicily.
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 04:55 PM
jgg

Rose- here is a link to my trip report of Morocco. We started out with 5 nights in Barcelona so you may want to skip over that part. There are a lot of details and pictures as well. I hope you find this helpful. http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34974589
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 07:49 PM

'We like food, walking, culture "

Barcelona and Madrid have it all!