Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Transport from South of Spain to Marrakech?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am renting a house in Casares, Spain...nearest to Sevilla/Malaga airports...and I want to go to Marrakech with my three children. What is the best transportation? Flights seem to go north to Madrid, or are outrageously expensive. Can we take a ship, then a train? Does anyone know of a smaller airlines, perhaps?
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 05:03 AM

Flying from Southern Spain to Morocco is very expensive and requires going via Madrid.

Better to take a ferry from Tarifa or Algeciras to Tangier and from there take the 10-hour train to Marrakech.

Have you considered possibly going to Fes instead (only 5 hours by train) or even Chefchaouen (a couple hours by bus/taxi from Tangier)?
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

I haven't considered much...we are in Ireland for a week with extended family, and then we thought we may go to Spain as we've never done that...as long as we are that close we may as well hit Africa...I have a teenage son, who will not be traveling with us much longer and I wanted to give him a very memorable vacation. My children and I will be heading then to Italy, while my husband goes back to work.
Any thoughts?
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 06:02 AM

Thats a LOT of travelling - how much time do you have? Getting to and from Morocco is neither cheap nor quick. Beware of spending your entire time en route to somewhere else!
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

1 week at a house in Ireland
1 week at a house in Spain
3 nights at a Riad in Marrakech
1+ week in Italy (at my sister's house)
The house in Casares fell through...now I need to look again.
Do you think 3 nights is enough in Marrakech? I found an Easy Jet flight from Madrid to Marrakech for 41 Euros/ea...Malaga to Madrid...60 Euros/ea...and a day lost.
Would you suggest the train?
Once again, it is my son's last vacation before college...so we want to have the most fun...yet still pay for college!!!

Old Feb 9th, 2007, 01:04 AM

If you can get a cheap flight from Madrid, that may be the best bet. You'll have to look at the schedules to see how much time you'll lose in airports etc...but it should work out to be faster than taking the train (as I said, 10 hours each way once you get to Tangier!)

3 nights is fine in Marrakech - obviously, you could spend a lot more - and any less would not be worth the time/expense.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 03:47 AM

Also keep in mind that the ferry from Algeciras to Tanger is not exactly a luxury cruise. It takes longer then you might expect, and the sea is rarely calm. I recall being very, very happy when I got off the ferry onto land.

You might be physically close to North Africa when you're in southern Spain, but it really is a case of so near yet so far.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 04:10 AM

True, the ferry is not luxury, but if you go from Tarifa, the ferry only takes 35 minutes, whereas from Algeciras it takes 2.5 hours.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 07:12 AM

I am in southern Spain and trying to figure out a similar trip ( with our 6yo). We are headed out for 7 months on the road in Europe & Russia , so I want to do a week or so in Morocco before leaving this area.

We are thinking about taking the fast train from Seville to Madrid after Holy week , maybe staying over night there to see Prado and then off to Marrakech on that jet blue flight.

( I thought I found that flight for under 25 dollars one way ...tues and thrus seem best). I have not looked at train costs yet. Have you considered that? We are retired so also watching costs.

Glad you asked this question, sounds like a great trip for your son!

I have read iberia has cheap flights from Madrid to Marrakech, but I have not found them.

I have read that the three star places are the way to go for lodging and are usually run by families.( If that helps).

Casares was one of the villages we were interested in, but ended up in a different white village. You will love it!

http://www.soultravelers3.com/

Old Feb 13th, 2007, 02:56 PM

So if it is only 35 minutes from Tarifa , why do so many use Algreciras?