Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Spain and potentially Morocco in December

Sep 23rd, 2007, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

I just booked a flight to Barcelona from Dec 29-Jan 5 (fly out at noon). I wanted to spend New Year's Eve in Barcelona, and then was looking to travel for 4 days. The current plan is to travel to Gibraltar and then over to Morocco for a day or two. After reading some of the posts, I am wondering if there is more interesting places to see. I'm not into museums, but am looking for somewhere beautiful and somewhat warm with lots of local character and charm. Any suggestions for a 4 day trip from Barcelona???? I'm a 34 year old female traveling with 2 friends.
Sep 23rd, 2007, 11:05 PM
car

I don't think think Gibraltar and the border cities of Marrocco are a very good idea. You will spend a lot of time moving between Barcelona just for four days. My suggestion will be to take a flight from Barcelona to Sevilla or if you find the right connection take a flight to Marrakesh.
In different ways both cities are warm in winter and certaninly have a lot of charm.
Sep 23rd, 2007, 11:57 PM

Most people going to Morocco from Spain would fly or take a ferry from Algeciras.

http://goafrica.about.com/od/morocco...aveltips_2.htm

You can fly direct to Morocco from Barcelona with clickair or Atlas Blue
Sep 24th, 2007, 05:53 AM

Word, Alan, and a plug for clickair: do it! There is very little legroom on the flights, but they are on time and pride themselves on being nothing like Iberia (which is a good thing. . . Iberia is horrible!). Fly from BCN to Marrakech, then either spend 4 days there or add a city by going to Essouira. Maybe a trip to the Sahara (which will take at least 2 days. . . I did 3). Landcrossing into Morocco is a pain.
Sep 25th, 2007, 01:47 AM

I can't imagine going to Morocco for just a day or two unless you had a private jet at your disposition.

In Spain I would fly BCN-XRY (Jerez de la frontera), then drive to Cadiz or el Puerto de Santa Maria to spend 3-days.

If I wanted to leave Spain I might opt for Portugal (i.e., fly BCN-LIS) for a 3-day visit.