Where in the world in August?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2005, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have the lucky fortune of having 1 month the travel between jobs. But it is in August. We want to do something that will take advantage of the longer than typical time off (eg not US) but am feeling a bit furstrated by our timing. I would love Europe (returning to Italy, France after many years) but am not keen on crowds, cost, closures, I am eager to visit Vietnam and Thailand but am concerned about mega heat and rain. Australia a possibility. I don't want to sound fussy but is there anywhere in the world where August is "the right" time to visit... not high season (crowds and cost) but decent weather (not rainy, cold, dreary or hot and humid and monsoon). Open to any ideas.........what would you do if you had 1 month to go anywhere?
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 07:08 AM

Even though August is the "high season" for Europe you can still do the smaller towns and villages and avoid the usual spots and still enjoy the experience. The Bavarian alps, the Tyrol, Dolomites or the Lakes areas of Northern Italy come to mind for me.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 07:42 AM

Being a Florida resident, we always head to Europe in the summer, including August. I think the constant whining by many about the crowds in Europe is highly overstated. We have often been in Paris for example and love the fact that it may be a little quieter than usual. As Aisle Seat mentions, those are all good suggestions. Unless your goal is to head to the big beach resorts, you are really unlikely to meet up with huge masses of other tourists. Don't worry about it. By the way, I think a month in Scandanavia would be especially wonderful in August!
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 07:47 AM

Hi sfmaster,

Go to the mountain of the Engadin Valley in Switzerland -- all the tourists will be in the Berner Oberland. I was there in June, and I still needed a comforter at night -- August should still be cool-ish.

s
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 07:57 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
All my European trips have been in summer (July or August), so that's all I know. To answer your question, if I had the month of August free... well I'd already have bought a plane ticket!
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 08:08 AM
rex

Although you said "not US", I wonder if this is an opportunity to go to Alaska... or maritime Canada - - since they are also both fairly "far away" - - and you might not go there if you didn't have this much time.

Alaska might not be "cheap" (or maybe no cheaper than various European destinations) - - but maybe Canada is?

While I agree that August might be a perfect time for Scandinavia, it is clearly not "cheap"; if I were in your shoes - - and maybe just because it is high on my list of places I want to go "some day" - - I would look into maritime Canada as a place with similar latitudes, but here on THIS continent.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 11:55 AM

Have you checked the web to see what the temps in Vietnam are in August. Their seasons may not exactly match the US.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 12:41 PM

New zealand...especially the north Island & Nelson in the south...milder winters!!
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 01:53 PM

I think you could easily do a trip to Europe, if that's what you want, without encountering the problems you cite -- just don't go to the major large cities or specific tourist towns. That would involve a little more research and planning, but doesn't seem a problem to me. Also, depending where you are in the US, it's just a far and as much trouble to travel in parts of the US as in Europe. For me, it's almost as far to Washington/No California, Idaho, etc., as to Europe. I'd love a trip in the western US for a long time.

You could consider the bottom part of South America, where August is the end of winter/getting into Spring. Daytime temps are moderate in Buenos Aires and parts of Peru and Chile, for example (maybe 60s to low 70s in day), and it is not the wettest. It's still too cold in Patagonia, I suppose, if you don't want cold.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 09:45 PM

Have you thought about Africa? Botswana (Okovango Delta), Tanzania , Uganda and Kenya.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 11:12 PM

I would do as planned and head to Vietnam and Thailand, yes, it will be hot but the plus side is pay anything over about $20 and you are going to get air conditioned rooms. 3 star hotels $40-50, top class Marriotts and the like under $100, top Sofitel hotels from about $50. Beer for about 90 cents, snack meals from 50 cents, good dinner $10, You will get lots of value plus have an amazing experiece. Try some spa and massage, I think you will get good value for you $.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 11:15 PM

If yuo spent time on the Gulf of Thailand Islands and coasts it won't be 'that' hot, sea breezes, lots of culture and history. Australia I agree is brilliant, would be winter, nice weather on the Queensland Coast but a bit cold down Sydny/Melbourne/Adelaide areas, so if you went for Australia keep North!
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 08:27 AM

Hi,
I spent most of last August in Australia for my honeymoon and would recommend it highly! Up north, it was pleassant and warm and dry (70s-80s). Around Sydney it was cooler but definitely comfortable for walking around....I guess being from New England I'm excited whenever the weather is higher than 45F! Good luck in your planning!
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 04:49 AM

Definately Australia - a fantastic time to go. Usually dry and sunny. Great for walking, can need only T shirt during the day but when the sun goes down out come the sweaters. Never too many crowds anywhere in Oz. Come on down and see us.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 04:57 AM

Australia for sure - though might be a bit cold in Tassie. Scandinavia - never been - oh but I would love to go and that would have to be a good time.

East Africa? After the monsoon - Uganda, Kenya?
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 05:27 AM

sfmaster,
Two of the best vacations I've taken were in August with the most perfect weather: Kenya (I imagine weather just as beautigul in neighboring safari countries) and in Martime Canada.

Enjoy!
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 06:49 AM

Here's another vote for maritime Canada. History, sightseeing, nature, seafood, etc. and no crowds really.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 07:43 AM

If you are as eager to visit VietNam and Thailand as I am to return there I suggest you go.

You will not necessarily have rain in VN and the weather can be variable from the steaminess of Saigon (yes, a lot of people still refer to it as "Saigon&quot to a possibly more dry climate around DaNang and Hue (cities not to be missed IMO).

I'm anxious to go soon before tourists figure out what a wonderful place it is to visit. The beaches alone are spectacular but every time I look hotels, etc., are becoming more and more expensive.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 10:17 AM

It's opera season in Macerata, Italy in August! Even though August can be a bad month to travel, I always like Macerata during August because it's the only month when it IS relatively touristy--meaning they have special summer events, outdoor concerts, craft markets, and of course, the outdoor opera season.

I imagine there are a lot of small Italian towns like this.