3 days in Rome-how much time shld be spent in seeing the attractions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2005, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be in Rome for 3 days.How much time should i keep in hand to see the colloseum,palantine hill,roman forum,pantheon and vatican?
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 08:17 AM

Hi, r505. The question is a bit vague,so here's a vague answer. The Colosseum,Palatine Hill and Forum (all in the same area) can be seen in anywhere from a few hours to a whole day. I would recommend seeing them together.One can visit the Pantheon for a quick glimpse,or much longer depending on the inspiration,interest in art,etc.It is easy to combine on a lovely walk including Piazza Navona,Trevi Fountain. Vatican city (are you interested in the Museums,Basilica? ) will take a half-day, at least.If you read the Destinations section here and use the search feature,you'll find much more information.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Hi
I guess i was'nt clear enough.I am reaching Rome on the 28th morning at around 7.30 a.m.Will be taking the train to termini.After getting to the hotel,dumping bags,lunch etc...will probably go sightseeing at around 12.30.
Do you think it will be possible to see the colloseum,roman forum,pantheon and palantine hill that day?Yes,i am interested in museums,art etc.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 09:20 AM

honestly, rome itself is a museum for the most part...you can't avoid/miss the history. my advice would be to get a guide book (dk top 10 rome/fodors city pack rome), make a list ranking the sites you'd like to see, then see how many you can get done. also, try to plan according to areas so that you don't waste time back tracking.

yes, you probably can squeeze quite a bit in the first day, but each person has their own pace. and you must decide how much of your time each site will occupy based on the sites value to you.

trust me, once you get to rome you will notice that a quick glimpse is sometimes not satisfying at all.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 09:35 AM

That's a lot to see in any given day, but on the day you arrive, it will be really tough. I'm assuming you're flying the night before. If that's the case, you will be exhausted even before you hit the pavement!

I think the Vatican area (assuming you want to see the museum, st. peters, etc) would be too much in any case with those other sites.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

That's true that i'll be tired since it's going to be an overnight flight.I am just trying to figure out how much i could see on the first day.I doubt i could visit the vatican that day since i won't hv any energy left.I am planning to do the Vatican the next day.Devoting the entire day for it.and on the 3rd day,i am thinking of seeing the spanish steps,fontana trevi etc.Are these close to the coloseum?
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 09:55 AM

Sometimes there is a long line at the Colosseum and that takes up time.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 10:19 AM

If you can't get to all those sites onthe 1st day, you will probably have time on the 3rd day. Trevi, Navona, SPanish Steps and not that time consuming and are within an afternoon's stroll of each other. The colosseum ara is in a different direction, but still walkable. The vatican is on the other side of the river.

What area are you staying in?
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

staying around Via Agostino Depretis.I think it's close to the termini station.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 10:26 AM

We arrived in Rome and upon dropping our bags at the hotel we immediately went to Colloseum/Forum/Palantine Hill area. It's such a fascinating area that its a great way to fight the jet lag. Rather you can (or want) to get to the Pantheon on the same day will depend on you and how fast you move through the other sights. We got to the area around noon and spent about 4-5 hours there, but my husband and I are both ancient history fans so we took our time. kbrennan is correct that sometimes the line for the colloseum can be quite long, but if you purchase your tickets at Palantine Hill (right past the entrance into the Forum) you can bypass the line and get in, as the Colloseum and Palantine Hill are both included in one admission price.

If you want to save the area for another day, sightseeing around the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain and the Pantheon would make a great way to spend the afternoon. Be sure to pop into a gelato shop or two!

Either way, you will have a great time. Rome is a fascinating, atmospheric and terrific city. Allow some time for just strolling and taking it all in.

Tracy
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 10:27 AM

Sorry...that was supposed to be "whether you can" not "rather you can". I need to start utilizing the "preview" feature!