When will airfare go down...

Jan 25th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

When will airfare go down...

I'm flying to France/Italy (open jaw) in late May. I'm hoping airfare will go down soon, but I'm getting anxious. Someone comfort me...
Jan 25th, 2006, 10:02 AM

Why do you think it will go down for late May? I'd probably try to nail something down within Feb unless you are very flexible on schedule and airlines. All the international flights I've taken in the last few years have been very full.
Jan 25th, 2006, 10:03 AM

I'll "comfort" you by saying that the fares are liable to go UP, not down, and the sooner you buy one the more you'll save.

Of course, the next person is going to really comfort you by telling you there will BE a sale, your dates will Be available, and you'll save hundreds....

do you believe that????
Jan 25th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

The reason I thought they would go down is that I paid about $200 less per ticket last year for my vacation (It was late May as well.) Last year I flew into Rome and out of Milan, and this year I'm flying into Nice and out of Rome. I was just hoping that increased gas prices weren't going to make $200 worth of difference on each ticket.
Jan 25th, 2006, 10:28 AM

What fare did you pay last year? Where from? What dates? Which airline(s)?
Jan 25th, 2006, 10:37 AM

I got a ticket LAX-LHR for February for $466.10......$246.00 is "fare", $110.00 is Fuel Surcharge, $110.10 Taxes....As oil prices go up, ticket prices will as well.
Jan 25th, 2006, 10:44 AM

I think you have to realize that eventually, prices usually rise on everything. I remember when I thought paying $800 for a R/T flight to Europe in the July-August timeframe was outrageous; I don't think that's the case as much now.

Airlines have decreased their seat capacity apparently in an attempt to economize and that would explain the fullness of flights.

And, don;t forget, the weakness of the American Dollar vs. the Euro and even more so, the Dollar vs. Sterling makes the US a very appealing destination so I doubt there will be a downturn and unless there really is a sale which includes your dates...i still think buying the tickets now is the better strategy.
Jan 25th, 2006, 10:55 AM

Tickets are cheaper Jan Through March but then get much more expensive, then go down around September.
Jan 25th, 2006, 10:56 AM

Would it make any difference if you reversed the trip>
Fly into Rome and out of NIce..
Jan 25th, 2006, 11:01 AM

Intrepid is entitled to his reasons and they may be right. BUT no one knows whether there will be a sale or not. History bears witness to sales at all times of year if you are on the ball and ready to pounce when they come. If it gives you peace of mind and you can afford it, buy now.
Jan 25th, 2006, 12:47 PM

Maybe I like to live on the edge more than other people do, and maybe it is the fact that usually we have some flexibility on dates and are not just stuck with one possible departure and one return date. Once or twice I have bought a ticket 2 to 3 months in advance, but that is the earliest I have ever bought. Even for prime season I generally have bought tickets six weeks to one week in advance and have found excellent fares.

That said, I have been watching fares for this summer because we have a July 1 wedding to attend. We are really open as to our dates as long as we can work around the wedding. But, airfares seem terribly, terribly much more expensive than in the past. My hope also is that they will drop if I keep faithful watch. I should also say that I have found cheap airfares in the past, but I always spend lots of time stalking them out. If you are willing to put the time and hours in, I'd suggest that you wait. Otherwise, I'd probably purchase in the next month or so.
Jan 25th, 2006, 12:53 PM

I watched the airfares for summer trips in the past three years, and if I were to do it again, I would have bought it around the last week of January and the first week of February. It looked like they went up after that first week in February. I waited too long both times, and paid $200-$300 more - but again, this is from my own experience.
Jan 25th, 2006, 01:00 PM

Everything that I have read states that people travelling to Europe will be higher this year and that airfares will be about 12% higher.

If you really want to go to Europe I would figure the maximum I could pay and than if I found an airfare for that amount (hopefully less) I would grab it.

I usually plan trips more or less at the last minute (about a month in advance) so I don't normally get good airfare. Best wishes to you.
Jan 25th, 2006, 01:05 PM

fly to london then take easyjet or ryanair

save huge amounts
Jan 25th, 2006, 01:10 PM
Doble_Vergasser

I recently attended a symposium where an economist spoke. His general comment was
Aviation gas used to be 10% of an airlines operating costs. Now aviation gas tripled, so a 20% increase on a ticket still has the airlines at breakeven.