Fares Detroit to Rome

Old Jun 11th, 2003, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fares Detroit to Rome

Hi all!
I know that no one can predict the future, but I'm sure that some of you seasoned Fodorites are much more knowledgeable about the ins and outs of searching for the best fares than I am.
Here's my question: Six of us are going to Italy in October. We already have our hotel reservations made, and have been waiting to see what is happening with fares. Right now the best fare quoted (today) was $828 for the dates and times we need. Since we are still 3 1/2 months out, should we go ahead and book, or does anyone think that we might find cheaper fares if we wait a little longer? How far in advance is it best to reserve? I'm quite the novice at this, so any help would be appreciated!
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 10:35 AM

First, let me say go on Orbitz to check out their prices. I live in Chicago and I just booked this morning my third trip to Rome this past year alone. Chicago is obviously a major hub so there are more flights available, but Rome is generally pricey to get to, especially in high season (June through end of September). October is shoulder season, but definitely not off season. It should be a great time to go. After doing major searches both close to the time of departure (six weeks) and earlier (five months) I can only tell you the prices I booked for. (last two on Orbitz) Last September I paid $780; this past March $420 (five months in advance - what a deal) and this morning I booked a nonstop through AA for this September for $725. I was going to go this July but couldn't find anything under $1,200. If you wait you may save more money, however, you may not. Probably only by a $100 or so. I generally travel alone so I'm much more flexible. With six people going and hotel reservations already made you may want to book. You may always do better, but I don't think that's a horrible airfare. Have your travel agent also check out a consolidator (after checking out Orbitz).
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 02:47 PM

If you're going in October, I would wait until the airlines announce their fall airfare sales. I ended up flying from Detroit to Rome on Northwest/KLM for about $500 roundtrip last October. I bought the ticket in August the day a fall sale was announced.
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 12:51 PM

I got a great deal on Orbitz to rome as well (frim BWI). We flew for like $500, and at the time could not find anything else close to that price. They have a euoropean sale going on right now, so you should check it out.
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 03:47 AM

Since you've got specific date/time requirements, the fare is not terribly bad.
When you do your fare search, try dates on either side of your planned departure /return.

If the fares on "nearby" dates are about the same, then I would wait it out for sale prices.

If you see the fare drop, then consider changing dates, otherwise buy the tickets (in this case, perhaps there is a sale going on but the flights that you want are filling up).

That's my thinking, not sure what I would actually do if five people were depending on me. Call the airline and see if you can get a group rate.