Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

When should I book the train from Paris to Brussels?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 02:43 PM
xxx

In February I want take a train from Paris to Brussels on a Monday night (then on from Brussels to Amsterdam on a Wednesday night). Do I need to buy train tickets ahead of time? Any tips would be helpful.<BR>

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 03:00 PM
BTilke

I would suggest you buy your tickets as far in advance as is reasonably possible--otherwise you run the risk of a sold out train (not likely in Feb. but it can happen), or finding only the most expensive seats available or (worse) seats in the smoking car (which is so toxic most of the die-hard pack+ a day smokers I know won't travel in it; fortunately Thalys is phasing out the smoking cars). <BR>The Thalys web site will show you timetables and other info; www.thalys.com<BR>For your trip to Amsterdam, you have a choice of the Thalys or the regular train. The Thalys is only about 10-15 minutes faster than the regular train, so taking the regular train is no problem (and you don't need to buy those tickets ahead of time). <BR>I always travel first class on the train, if possible, and find the difference worth it. But others find second class perfectly acceptable. Enjoy your Paris/Brussels/Amsterdam journey!<BR>BTilke (Brussels)

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 03:28 PM
xxx

BTilke, you reference the Thalys and the &quot;regular train&quot;. I know this may seem oh so basic, but please explain! I also checked the Thalys website and don't see a choice for smoking or non-smoking. How does that work? It quoted me 63.5 Euros for the trip Paris-Brussels. Does this seem about right?

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 04:01 PM
Andrew

In September (on a Thursday afternoon) I booked my Paris - Brussels Thalys ticket about 10 minutes before departure. I don't think you save much if anything buying in advance, and I wouldn't do it unless the ticket is fully changeable/refundable. I think the train runs from Paris to Brussels up to 4 times an hour (maybe less often in the evening). I'm sure not a regular traveler on this route (all of one trip), but I'm guessing a Monday night is usually not busy. Friday night probably is very busy...<BR><BR>Check the German rail page (train schedules for all of Europe) to check the number of Paris-Brussels trains running on a Monday night:<BR><BR>http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/detect.exe/bin/query.exe/en<BR><BR>I did what BTilke suggests and took the ICC train from Brussels on to Amsterdam instead of Thalys, and that worked out fine. This is cheaper than Thalys, but it's not nearly as nice of a train as the modest ICC train. Doing it again, I might have taken the Thalys given the choice.<BR><BR>Andrew<BR>

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 04:02 PM
Leslie

The Thalys train is the express train. It looks like a red bullet. I've taken the train from Paris to Amsterdam, but it stops in Brussels. Coach seats are adequate.<BR><BR>Refreshments are sold on the train, in case you want to buy a beverage or a snack.<BR><BR>

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 06:53 PM
xxx

My response isn't answering your question as we bought our tickets way in advance. But 2nd class on the Thalys is great. I've traveled on the SNCF trains and while they are nice the Thalys trains are much more comfortable in my opinion. Have a great journey!

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 12:46 AM
Geoff Hamer

Thalys trains run every half hour from Paris to Brussels so, if one is fully booked, there will be seats available on another. Thalys fares are cheaper if you book ahead. From Brussels to Amsterdam, the Thalys trains use the same tracks as the ordinary hourly Intercity trains so are only slightly faster. It's easier and cheaper to get the Intercity trains - they have a refreshment trolley.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 01:29 AM
bru-to-you

I do not agree with the poster below who says to book Thalys tickets just before departure. You save up to 50% by booking in advance. The 63.50 EUR one-way fare from Paris to Brussels is not the best fare. It is the regular Thalys 2nd class business fare. It has the advantage of being exchangeable and refundable. If you can opt for a non-exchangeable, non-refundable ticket you should get a one-way fare of approx. EUR 23.50-31.50 depending on the day of the week you travel. You want to click on the fare wizard option to get the best fare (the trains should then be either with a green box for the best fare or an orange box for the higher fare). At this time, there should be no problem getting the cheaper fare for a train in February.<BR><BR>You can then get a seat selection (where you choose smoking vs. non-smoking, window vs. aisle and duo side-by-side vs. carre) if you are buying your ticket by credit card. This is possible if you are buying in Belgium, but I am not sure if it works in France.<BR><BR>All seats on the Thalys are reserved. There is no option of boarding the train without a reserved seat.

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 09:35 PM
xxx

I cannot find the &quot;fare wizard&quot; as referenced in the last reply. I also do not get the option for non-exchangeable/non-refundable. I am using the site at Thalys.com is this right?<BR>Still getting 63.50 EUR for a price.<BR>I want to book this to get it all wrapped up. Please help me find this cheaper fare!

Old Dec 29th, 2002, 03:42 PM
Paul

EUR 23.50-31.50 <BR><BR>Inquiring minds want to know, where do you get a fare like this?

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 03:38 AM
bru

Try:<BR><BR>www.telesales.b-rail.be<BR><BR>If you are in the Thalys site, you have to click Belgium and then buy online.

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 03:47 AM
Jim Rosenberg

I'm not sure that the mini fare can be purchased from the U.S., nor that tickets can be purchased directly from the Thalys site if you are coming from the U.S. (or is that for pickup at the station once you are there?). For tickets to be delivered prior to leaving:<BR><BR>http://www.raileurope.com/us/index.htm<BR><BR>

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 04:10 AM
bru

If you purchase the ticket through the Belgian rail telesales, you can get the Thalys Mini fare (EUR 50 roundtrip) depending on availability. You buy the tickets from the telesales website with a credit card and can pick them up at Midi station before you board the train.<BR><BR>If you are coming from Paris to Brussels (and not the other way round), you may be able to buy the tickets through the telesales website and have the tickets mailed to your hotel in Paris. When you get to the delivery webpage, you can ask for the tickets to be mailed to you if it is far enough in advance. I assume that they will not mail them to the States, but it might work to put an address in France for the delivery details.