Train from Amsterdam to Paris

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 11:11 PM
Ellen

Train from Amsterdam to Paris

My 12 year old daughter and I are taking the train from Amsterdam to Paris, and had planned on taking the high speed train. A friend thinks a regular train would be more interesting as we would see small villages, etc. and it make for a more memorable event. Time is not too critical as we have 8 days in Paris. My daughter has only been on a train once before, so the train ride is a pretty big deal for her. Does the fast train go so fast that you don't get to see the countryside? What do you recommend?

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 11:31 PM
Tony

Take the fast train, known as the Thalys. Between Amsterdam abd Brussels it travels at the same speed as ordinary trains, as the high speed track is still under construction.
After Brussels the train speeds up considerably, but you will see just as much out of the windows as on a slower train, The Thalys travels at 186 mph, but in Europe many of the "slower" trains travel at over 100 mph anyway.
The Thalys train from Amsterdam will call at Rotterdam, Antwerp and Brussels, and it will quite an experience for both of you.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 12:00 AM
Sjoerd

You don't have a choice! All trains between Amsterdam and Brussels are "normal" speed, and between Brussels and Paris all trains are high speed.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 01:23 AM
BTilke

There is no difference in the route taken between Amsterdam and Brussels by either the Thalys or the regular train. And between Brussels and Paris, the Thalys is the only choice (except for a very late and very slow "milk train" where you don't see anything).
On the Thalys from Brussels to Paris, try and sit on the right hand side. It's a little more interesting (and if you go in the morning, you won't have the sun in your eyes). On the right hand side, you pass a few WW I cemeteries. But there's not much difference.
If you can afford it, go first class (try and get the Tourist ticket, which is not that expensive). First class is more comfortable and I think your daughter (and you) will enjoy the extra services.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 03:40 AM
Tracy

Ellen -

You guys will love Thalys:

http://www.thalys.com/uk/ind_uk.htm

Pack a nice picnic to take on board, and get drinks & coffee from the buffet car. You'll have a blast!
HTH