Amsterdam, Brussels, Paris

Old Mar 1st, 2009, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amsterdam, Brussels, Paris

Help! We fly into Amsterdam and depart from Paris. We would like to spend one day in Brussels on the way to Paris. Do we purchase 2 tickets: 1 from AMS to Brussels, then 1 from Brussels to Paris? The Thalys schedule shows the train goes to Midi. Is there a luggage check at Midi or only at Central? How do we get from Midi to Central?
Old Mar 1st, 2009, 05:56 PM

Well, darn, I don't know the answer, but since we took a similar trip in October, just thought I'd say how much we loved it. Flew into Amsterdam, 4 nights there, one day trip to Delft and returned to Ams., then Ams. to Brussels, day trip to Brugge, back to Brussels, Bru. to Paris. I got so frustrated trying to figure out the trains and times that we finally just dropped it and bought tickets along the way. We did buy the Brussels to Paris ticket a few days before departure. There are several threads on here about trains, and God Bless you if you can get them to work for you. I kept hearing all about the savings of booking in advance, but never found that on the websites I tried.
On our last trip we booked train travel through a travel agent. They booked all our hotels, rental car, and trains. But, they booked the train for the wrong month, which we didn't notice til the morning of departure. We're used to month/day/year, and the train ticket was day/month/year, so we just failed to notice. So, even "experts" get it wrong.
I'm sure someone will help you out, but just know that the trains are wonderful, on time, and pretty fast. Have a great trip.
Old Mar 1st, 2009, 06:12 PM
yk

There should be luggage storage at Midi. Do a search on the Belgian Railway website - it should list the amenities at each station.

Just hop on any train from Midi to Central, usually one every few minutes.
http://www.b-rail.be/main/E/

I'm 99.9% sure you need to buy 2 separate tickets, as each ticket is only valid for a certain train and has seat reservation.

From Brussels to Paris, taking the direct Thalys is the easiest, but may not be cheapest. Anothter way is Brussels to Lille via local train, then Lille to Paris via TGV.
Old Mar 1st, 2009, 07:05 PM

From Amsterdam, you can take the IC train to Brussels instead of the Thalys. Its regular price is cheaper than Thalys, though you may be able to get PREM fares on the Thalys for less.

The IC train will stop at Brussels Central before Midi. It takes 2:45 from Amsterdam Central to Brussels Central. The Thalys takes 2:42 from Amsterdam Central to Brussels Midi.
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. Will check out the IC site. I still need to go from Brussels to Paris via Thalys, and I need to check which station it departs from.
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 07:29 AM
yk

Thalys from Brussels to Paris departs from Midi.
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 08:05 AM

We are doing the same thing, except spending a night in Bruges after Amsterdam. Once I get to Amsterdam, I will get my ticket from there to Bruges. After Bruges we will take the train to Brussels, store our bags, have lunch and then pick up our train to Paris. I already bought my Brussels to Paris Thalys ticket online.
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 08:27 AM

This was what I did 2 years ago.

I flew into AMS. Bought IC ticket right there and hop on the next one towards Belgium. [I also visited Antwerp, but that doesn't matter.]

Get off the IC train at Brussels-Central. Put luggage in locker. Walk around for a few hours. Go back to pick up luggage, then hop on the next "any" train to Midi. Then get on the pre-booked Thalys train to Paris.
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, YK! Now we just need to figure out where to stow our luggage for the day.
Hi Sherhatfield, We had considered spending a night in Brussels, but figured it would take too much time to check into a hotel, unpack, pack, checkout, etc., for one night so just opted to get there early and spend several hours. We will buy our tickets once we figure out all the logistics for our luggage.
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 10:14 AM
yk

bogey- station amenities info for Brussels Central:
http://hari.b-holding.be/infsta/Info...1000215&Lang=3

and for Midi
http://hari.b-holding.be/infsta/Info...1000220&Lang=3

Scroll half-way down for luggage service
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

YK - Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 11:30 AM

bogey - I've done a lot of "one nighters" in between cities and it really isn't much of a hassle, IMO. We pack light and for that one night, just live out of the suitcase instead of unpacking. I'd rather spend the night somewhere than just see it for the day, plus sometimes logistically it works out well to break up a long drive.

Everyone has their own preferred way of traveling, I'm just saying that if you really want to see a place, don't let the extra steps involved deter you!
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 11:31 AM

My daughter and I are taking the same trip in May. 2 nts. in Amsterdam, 1 nt. in Brussels and 4 nits. in Paris.

I wasn't sure about the train system as my husband and I always rent a car so I called BETS 800.441.2387 www.budgeteuropetravel.com.

Byron explained about the local train from Amsterdam-Brussels and the Thalys from Brussels-Paris. He also told me about the set-up in each city as far as when the train stations were located and how to get around. I bought our tickets from his company at the same price as the internet but with a lot of helpful hints. Our friends use his service whenever they go to Europe.
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 12:11 PM

when landing in AMS go downstairs to trains. At the window you can buy all your tickets right then. I have done this 2 times.

Once I bought my tickets to Paris then on to Venice with no problem.

Another time I bought tickets to Venice via Frankfurt.

I may have paid a bit more but i like having everything taken care of at one window.