Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

When does swim/beach season start on the Amalfi Coast AND/OR Italian Riviera?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2006, 08:53 AM
JES
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a trip for May and wondering if it will still be too cold. It's the beginning to middle of May depending on where I go.
Thanks for any advice!
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 08:55 AM

We were on the Amalfi Coast and also in the Cinque Terre last May (13th - 25th). It was nice weather most days - 80s and sunny - but the ocean was freezing. Only a few people were swimming. The A/C was marginally warmer than the CT
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 09:02 AM

It depends on how warm you want the water to be. Pools should be fine. The sea will be fine if you're used to the North Atlantic - it will be freezing if you're used to south Florida.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 09:07 AM

It occurs to me to suggest you e-mail your hotel choices and ask if their pools are filled with water by May. My guess is they are -- but it's only a guess.

I also wouldn't expect heated pools in Italy, although you might find a few hot tubs.

Old Apr 7th, 2006, 09:25 AM

JES,

For what it's worth, I just looked at the websites of my fave hotels on the Riviera and Amalfi to see what they considered the beginning of high season. Both peg their price rises to the first of June. Mid-season starts in May.

But I still think people who have traveled there in May are the best resources.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 11:32 AM
JES
Original Poster

I just called the hotel on Ischia who said their season starts mid-April and they will have a heated pool available--but I don't know about the Ocean, though they have hot springs so that wouldn't matter as much....

Thanks for the advice! I also posted for votes on Amalfi vs. Riviera during this time period. Then hopefully I can make a decision!!
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 11:41 AM

Agreed on hot springs. I think I read somewhere once that the pool at Cenobbio al Dogi is not heated, but I'm not sure.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 11:49 AM

I was in Monterosso (in the CT) from May 26-28 last year and the air temperature was very warm but the water temperature was cooler than I thought it would be -- a bit shocking when you first get in but wonderfully refreshing after hiking the trails. I was truly grateful for the dip. A lot of people were in the water.

I'll be in Camogli May 21-25 of this year and found out from a dive shop there that the water will be 16-17°C (60-63°F) during that time. Yes, they dive in that cool water and consider it to be high season.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 12:45 PM
JES
Original Poster

Wow that is cold! Is there good diving there?
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 12:50 PM
JES
Original Poster

Ok, I just called the Cenobbio al Dogi and they say their pool opens the first of June (at least that's what I got out of the broken conversation--at first he thought I was talking about rooms
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 12:51 PM

I don't know how good the diving is. But I'm seriously considering checking it out, even though it will be a bit cold. Maybe someone else on the forum has done some diving there. If you want to check out the dive shop, here is the link: http://www.bbdiving.it/en/start1024.html
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 12:52 PM

The waters around the Portofino peninsula (of which Camogli is a part) are nationally protected because their pristine quality. In fact, the historic name Porto Fino refers not to the prettiness of the port but to the clarity and transparency of the waters.

That's great info to have the water temps.

It's been worth pursuing this, no?

I'll be interested to see how decide -- and am totally neutral on which way you should go!
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 12:53 PM

AllsionK,

I've also seen people snorkeling around Camogli.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 01:09 PM

Yeah, I've thought that I might just rent the snorkel and fins if I feel like I'll be too cold diving. But then again, I'd be in a wetsuit and I know that you grow accustomed to the temperature after a while. I'm glad I don't have to decide just yet. I'm really looking forward to my time there. Even if I feel like the water is too cold, I know that there are a lot of other things that I will be happy doing.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 01:19 PM
JES
Original Poster

I'm going to sit down this weekend with my hubby and go over everything and plan to have a decision (before I'm locked out of doing everything
Thanks again for all of your help!
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 02:05 PM

OK. Glad you think it's been a useful exercise.

Old Apr 7th, 2006, 03:06 PM

We swam in the CT and AC at the beginning of May and found it lovely - definitely warm enough for us.