Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I need advice on Walks, hotels, restaurants on Cinque Terre and Amalfi Coast

Old Jan 19th, 2003, 12:59 AM
Mandy

We are 4 Australians travelling to Italy in mid May, and want to stay in Cinque Terre and Amalfi coast. Our Aus Dollar is half your US$ so hotel for E100-E150 per night for a room for 2 would be top price.
Are there any good guided walks on Amalfi area?
Thanks

Old Jan 19th, 2003, 05:28 AM
Mari

You might want to look into this person for Amalfi Coast guided walks. I found it by chance when I checked out his site for old postcards of the Amalfi Coast. You will love Cinque Terre and the Amalfi Coast - both are spectacular.

Old Jan 19th, 2003, 05:30 AM
Mari

Sorry, I forgot to paste the website in the above message so here it is:

http://www.giovis.com/Egiovis.htm

Enjoy your trip!

Old Jan 19th, 2003, 05:33 AM
Mari

In case you are interested, here is the website for the vintage postcards of the Amalfi Coast:

http://www.massalubrense.it/fotodepoca.htm

Old Jan 19th, 2003, 04:30 PM
Nan

Great vintage photos of the Amalfi area. Thanks, Mari.

Old Jan 19th, 2003, 10:32 PM
Mandy

Many thanks for advice - still need names of hotels!

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 02:40 AM
Martha

Mandy: We stayed at Gasthof Zum Turm in Castelrotto. It is a small family run hotel with nice restaurant. It should be well within your budget. (Web site: http://www.zumturm.com/ ) You really don't need guides for hiking there - there are plenty of maps available, a good information office in town and the trails are well marked. If you need more info, feel free to e-mail me (minus the SPAM) Also there is a good area bus service (Web site: www.si.bz.it )

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 06:25 AM
Ira

Mari,
Thanks for the tip.

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 07:29 AM
Mari

You're welcome, Ira.

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 08:02 AM
Nancy

There is a very good walking guide to the Capri & the Amalfi coast published by Sunflower books. I first read about it on this site, and used it in September, and thought it was very useful. You can do these walks yourselves, and they are graded by difficulty and give approximate wallking times. The website is http://www.sunflowerbooks.co.uk/walking_titles.htm. They publish many other walking guides to various places in Europe.

To get an idea of hotels and prices in the Amalfi coast as chosen by Fodorites, click "Hotels" above, then choose "Amalfi Coast & Capri". A list of hotels will come up. Ask to re-list them by price. You can also read reviews written by people who have stayed at each hotel. You can do the same for the restaurant listings. I have found the restaurant reviews and picks in this Fodor's listing to be accurate for Rome and other cities. For Cinque Terre, you might search "The Rivera".

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 01:54 PM
Gigi

Hello, Many
I was in Amalfi last March and stayed at a delightful B&B in Minori. The guesthouse is newly renovated and very nice. Our balcony overlooked the village and sea. Breakfast is included and they will make every effort to please you.
There is a nice terrace where the lemon trees form the canopy over the arbor. The perfect spot to drink your lemoncello.
Ravello is also within walking distance and offers exquiste views of the sea and some lovely tourist spots.
email me for the name of the B&B at:
[email protected]
I would post it here, but, I need to locate it first. If you email me, it would be a tad easier. I will send you an invitation to view my Amalfi pictures, too. Or, if you go to webshots.com and search for designergigi, you will likely find my photos.

Cheers!
Gigi

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 03:04 PM
xxx

Martha, interesting post about your hotel in Castelrotto. Did you mean to stay there for hiking to Amalfi or to Cinque Terre? I'm just curious since it would probably take about 10 days or more to hike to either of them from the Dolomites where Castelrotto is. You must really be into hiking!

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 04:43 AM
Mandy

Thanks for the great advice - so Castelrotto is in the Dolomites! You learn something every day!I'll look at the post cards soon!

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 05:36 AM
Lexi

A guidebook for walks/hikes in an area is great, but it is better to have someone who is familar with the area and its stories to take you around. I've tried it each way and I definitely get more out of the walk with a guide.

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 03:12 PM
Mandy

Lexi - who did you use for your guided walks? Were you on an organised tour or did you hire a local guide?
Thanks