Amalfi Coast or Italian Riviera?

Apr 7th, 2006, 12:27 PM
JES
Original Poster

Amalfi Coast or Italian Riviera?

I'm trying to decide on the Amalfi Coast--Naples, Coast, Ischia OR going to the Italian and French Riviera (half and half) during the first or second week of May. Any suggestions?
Thank you!
Apr 7th, 2006, 12:41 PM

Hi JES,

I also answered a slightly different question on your other post. We had more sunshine during our visit down south (sorrento, amalfi coast, etc.) than we did in the Cinque Terre (italian riveriea area). This was May 13-25 of 2005. It had rained a lot during the week before our visit to the CT and it rained twice during a 3 day visit when we were there. I've visited the CT 4 times and I recommend late May or June for good weather. Early May is really pushing it
Apr 7th, 2006, 12:51 PM

That early head south.
Apr 7th, 2006, 01:29 PM
JES
Original Poster

Thank you for the suggestions! I wish I could book for late May, but b/c of Memorial Day weekend--they're all booked up (and of course I'm booking LATE)!
Wow, that is cold water--I hope you have a wetsuit!
Apr 7th, 2006, 01:32 PM
JES
Original Poster

oops, that last comment was for my other post!
Apr 7th, 2006, 01:36 PM

The south would be better, weather wise. That said, we toured the Amalfi coast in 2004, also in the second week of May. It was cloudy almost everyday, occasional shower, but the sun broke out in between. We actually preferred such weather. It was cooler, and the crowd wasn't quite large yet.
Apr 7th, 2006, 04:11 PM

We have been to both the Amalfi Coast and CT at the beginning of May (we go in May and September) and loved it. We found that there were lots of tourists but I am sure that there were fewer than other months. We only encountered one day of rain in the CT and none on the Amalfi Coast. We also went swimming in both - it was definitely warm enough for us (we are from northern Canada, though...).
Apr 9th, 2006, 01:56 PM
JES
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses! It sounds like we can probably do either and just hope whichever one we choose doesn't get rain that week. There are never any guarantees, I know--no matter when or where we go.
For those of you who have been to both, which did you like better and why?
I don't know if it makes a difference, but we (hubby and I) are in our mid thirties--in case one area is more targeted to a different age group.

Batraveler--when you swam in the CT, was it in the ocean? I called the hotel we would be staying at and they said their pool isn't open until June so I was worried about feeling like I was there in an off season for the area.
Do you remember if there were people sunbathing on the beaches then?
Apr 9th, 2006, 03:31 PM

Actually, the French Riviera -- depending on where you go -- appears to segregate according to age, and some of that has to do with colonies of affluent retirees, especially noticeable in Monaco. There is a teeny bit of affluence determining the age of visitors to the AC, although while Positano gets a lot of 30th anniversary folks, it also gets quite a few honeymooners. (First marriage. ;-))

I don't know if anybody has brought this up, but what I've heard about Ischia is that it gets a lot of German tourists, who historically prefer it to Capri. I have no idea if that's true, but I experienced the phenomenon around Lago di Garda in the north, and thought it made for a more interesting time.

Apr 9th, 2006, 05:37 PM

Hi, JES. Yes - we swam in the sea (not pools). We saw probably about 40 others swimming/sunbathing, too - not hoardes of people but there were several. Although we are not "beach" people we like to take a dip in the ocean as we seldom get a chance where we live to do so.