Search

What's New Year Eve like in Venice?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2006, 04:19 AM
eu
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's New Year Eve like in Venice?

My children and I plan to spend New Year Eve and New Year's Day in Vënice.

Can all those who's had the experience please comment. Also, what's the weather like?

Will shops, restaurants and tourist sites be opened these two days.

Also, we are taking the overnight train from Vienna. Would you know of a nice hotel we can walk to from the station and whether it would be in the old part of Venice.

Where is the best place to see the fireworks? Of course we mustn't miss this.

Will there be street parties on New Year Eve?

Appreciate your responses.

Old Oct 24th, 2006, 04:24 AM
ira

Hi eu,

>Would you know of a nice hotel we can walk to from the station and whether it would be in the old part of Venice. <

I don't think that there is a new part of Venice.

What do you consider a walkable distance?

What is your budget?

Old Oct 24th, 2006, 05:08 AM
eu
Original Poster

Hi Ira,
Could be 3* or 4*. Euro 150 up
I read in one of the forum to stay in the 'old part' of the city.
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 05:19 AM

I have made many trips to Venice but never in NYE. I will be staying there in Christmas this year.

Perhaps they meant .
Old Part : Venice proper
New Part : Main land especially Mestre. For some people it's not exactly "Venice".

Many hotels, if not all, seems to apply hight season rates for NYE. You can take a look at a site such as www.venere.com to get an idea how much rooms would cost during that time.

Old Oct 25th, 2006, 07:30 PM

We spent NYE in Venice a few years ago (2004/5). There aren't really any street parties - just lots of crackers being exploded! In the Piazza there's a huge crowd, a lot of drinking (although everyone is pretty well behaved) and again everyone seems to come armed with crackers and some fireworks which they light. The year we were there the main firework display was cancelled as a mark of respect for the victims of the tsnuami, but I understand it's great.
The shops and museums are open on NYE - although many shops closed at lunchtime (not sure about the museums). Almost all the shops were closed on NYD until lunch-time (again I'm not sure about the museums as we were recovering from NYE!), but certainly most restaurants were open on both NYE & NYD although many have a set price menu with multiple courses on NYE. Once you organise your hotel you may want to ask them to reccomend somewhere and make a booking for you.
You should also note that the vaporettos stop running along the Grand Canal from about 6pm (I think) on NYE until about 11am on NYD, so you may prefer to stay somewhere nearer to San Marco so that you don't have so far to walk after watching the fireworks.
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 08:15 PM

First of all, I've never spent NYE in Venice, although I think it would be fun (but too cold for me-if it's NYE, I'm generally in Asia!)

Maryk had very helpful information-particularly regarding the vaporetto schedule. With that in mind EU, I would still recommend staying in Cannaregio (which is the area not far from the train station, the area where I always stay and recommend, as it is where the majority of Venetians live, and is also a very lively, charming area-away from the tourist masses-although the masses are not something you'd have to worry too much about in this time period, I should think).

To that end, I would recommend the Hotel Antico Doge, which you can reach by getting on the vaporetto at the train station and going 3 stops to Ca' d'Oro vaporetto stop (an ancient Venetian palazzo filled with art and artifacts from the Renaissance period-well worth seeing), turn right, and walk down to Campo SS Apostoli along the main shopping street-Strada Nova-and you're there. Part of the hotel fronts the Grand Canal, posters on this board have been very happy there, and it is in a great location, lots of little trattorias, local shops, bakeries, and of course the Ca' d'Oro gelateria just several yards away).

It is very centrally located-can reach the Rialto bridge in about 2 minutes, and you can walk down to the Piazza San Marco in about 15 minutes, so it wouldn't matter if the vaporettos are running or not.

Another hotel very near by is the Ca' Gottardi-in an ancient 15th century palazzo, right by a gondola station (these two hotels are about 5 mintues walk from each other). Both get excellent reviews on tripadvisor.com

You can check them out here:

www.anticodoge.com
www.cagottardi.com
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 02:43 AM
eu
Original Poster

Thank you for your contribution and feedback. After dozens of attempts we managed to get a hotel in St Marco.
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 12:46 PM

ttt

Any other comments on NYE/ NYD in Venice? Special places to eat and/or fun festivities? What is closed on NYD-- everything or could we possibly take a trip to Murano/Burano/Torcello?

TIA
Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 02:18 PM

ttt
Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 04:55 PM

Yes, I have a bit more. T

The proper term in Italian for New Year's Eve is called "notte di Capodanno" and New Year's Day "Capodanno"- and in the past two years, due to the direct intervention of the mayor of Venice to make Venice a more livable and attractive place for both locals and tourists-NYE has become HUGE-there is a spectacular fireworks display over the basin of San Marco -I saw the pictures from last year, and it looked like the place to be- I believe they said they had somewhere around 100,000 tourists in the city for the notte di Capodanno, so keep that in mind. It has become a big tourist destination for other Italians to come to Venice for NYE, I understand.

The vaporettos are definitely running on NYD, but they may be on a holiday schedule, then again, they may not- it would be an excellent day, I think, to go to Murano, which I favor far more than Burano, which did nothing for me, and of course, Torcello, to see the oldest church in the lagoon, the 9th cent. Santa Maria in Assunta, with its priceless mosaics of the fearsome Last Judgement. You can be sure also that there will be some sellers of goods open on that day-Venice is not a city that shuts down like all the other towns in the Veneto for holidays-it's got action going every day.

Right before Capodanno, I'd say probably the first week of December, the Comune di Venezia, (City Hall) website will put out ALL the Christmas and New Year's schedule of festivities on their website-so you will be able to see what's going on well before you go, and there IS a full schedule of events, more now than ever before. Venice also has a Christmas market in Campo San Stefano-so that will probably be there again this year as well, and may even still be up for NYE. The City's website is:

www.comune.venezia.it

I don't suppose anyone looked at the new webcam of the Grand Canal at Rialto on the City Hall website today, but if you did, along about 10a-11am this morning, you would have seen the glorious procession of historical boats for the Regata Storica -one of the most cherished and Venetian holidays, which I was lucky enough to see last year-the boats, and the races were fantastic-and the best spots, naturally, were at those Grand Canal hotels and palazzos with terraces, where all the parties were going on. A really one-of-a-kind event.
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 08:34 AM

Girlspytravel-
I never thanked you for your long, well-done reply. So thank you very much, it's very helpful!
Liz
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 08:11 AM

Thanks, Liz, glad you found it helpful. Just wish I could get to Venice this year for NYE...I'm still thinking about when I want to go, since I do have a free ticket, and place to stay!