Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Vaporetti times on New Year's Eve in Venice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2005, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know if the vaporetti run on New Year's Eve? I am looking at an apartment by the Ponte delle Guglie stop. We will want to be in San Marco for midnight celebration but it will be a long walk back in the cold if the vaporetti are not running. As always, thanks for your help.
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 08:11 AM

Sorry, I can't help with your specific question but I just wanted to say that it is definitely walkable if necessary. That is, unless there is a reason why you can't walk distances of course.

I stayed in a B&B very near to the Ponte delle Guglie stop and for the three days I was in Venice, I probably walked to San Marco or back half a dozen times. The route is quite easy too.

Nowehere in Venice is as far from anywhere else as may first appear. However, if you get lost at all, the distance can certainly increase!
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 11:30 AM

The boats run round the clock every day so I doubt whether they stop on New Year's Eve. The only way to be sure is to check carefully on the day. Even if someone on this forum were there on New Year's Eve last year, they won't know whether things have changed this year.
As Where2Travel says, it's not really very far to walk. I'd imagine it would be fun to walk around Venezia whilst everyone is celebrating.
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 03:23 PM

Last year (2004) the vaporettos on the Grand Canal (no's 1 & 82) stopped from around 9pm on nye until 10am the next morning. There was a limited service on other routes. I have no idea if this happens each year.
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 07:42 PM

There are at least two night services ("notturno&quot that do the Grand Canal as part of their route, but they do not stop at all the stops. I would imagine that they also operate, perhaps with a reduced schedule, on New Year's Eve.
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 01:05 AM

I have no clue about new year's either. I wanted to say that I returned from Venice yesterday and it's definitely walkable unless there is some reason you cannot walk distances or bridges. We went to Rome and Florence as well. Venice was definitely the easiest to get around by walking because of the postings on the buildings to indicate directions to major sites. We did not take a vaporetti while we stayed in Venice instead we walked even with the suitcases past the Rialto Bridge. That is true about the cold though... it was cold while we were there but the weather was nice... no rain
Old Nov 24th, 2005, 03:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. This is what I love so much about this forum. Ask a question and y'all respond with great answers. However this apartment rented before I could make up my mind about it. We ended up with an even larger apartment in Dorsoduro which I feel is a much better location for us. (Glad we didn't get the first one) We have been to Venice before and, like many of you, we also walked everywhere we went. However, this time we will have our grandkids with us and they are pretty much warm weather kids. I am pleased with our new location. Thanks for your help.