Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What's my dtr to do when classes end in Switzerland for 10 days?

Old May 13th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dtr is taking classes (we are from the United States) in Switzerland for one month, from May 26 thru June 29th. Then, she meets up with a friend July 8th in Spain. She is not outgoing enough to feel comfortable on her own for this time period, but we feel she might have to. She wants to return to the U.S., but the flight would be expensive back and forth. She said that she is going to be across a big lake from Milan, that's where the school is.. (I'll have to find out more specifically from her.. she just returned home from college an hour ago), but she said everyone is leaving after classes end and she won't know anybody. I told her I'd post this on fodors as everyone is helpful... she's 21, and a jr in college Thank you.
Old May 13th, 2007, 02:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, teadrinker-

what classes is she taking? could she take some others eg a language course in a different language to the one she'll be doing in switzerland?

or she may find that when she's there she'll meet someone she can travel with after the course is over.

I would reckon on that happening, but have a plan B!

how about a cookery course in Paris?

regards, ann
Old May 13th, 2007, 02:44 PM

What kind of classes is she taking? Who are the other students taking those classes - are they going there on their own for a month, just like her? If yes, there is nothing to worry about, the others will be looking for someone to hang out with, too.

Ten days of travelling on her own might be a good experience for her. She could stay in youth hostels, where she'll meet more than enough other travellers who are solo, too. She'll need an itinerary of places she wants to see, a YHA membership card and a rail pass. If she wants security and is afraid of getting stuck without a place to sleep, she can plan a detailed itinerary and book accommodation in advance, YHA hostels take reservations.
Switzerland is easy to travel and has a lot to offer: cities, lakes, mountains, scenic train routes, historical buildings... For a beginner, sticking to one country will be easier than hopping around the whole map of Europe. Encourage her to try this period of solo travelling. After all, ten days are no eternity. If she doesn't like it at all, well, it was an attempt and an experience. There is, however, a great risk that she'll catch the travel bug...
Old May 13th, 2007, 02:50 PM

I am totally confused by this...the place she is taking classes in Switzerland "is across a big lake from Milan"...that's rather improbable, geography-wise.

Is she going to be somewhere such as Lausanne perhaps?

Please tell us more as it would be helpful to know where in Switzerland she is going to be.
Old May 13th, 2007, 02:52 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
She'll probably meet some friends after she is at the school from May 26.

If not, she can go anywhere - and if she is unsure of herself she can just pick 1 city and spend the full 10 days there. Maybe a week in Paris - I know of no one who would not feel safe and secure in Paris. Or she could fly to London very cheaply - and might feel more comfortable because of the language issues. London is expensive - but a lot less than the cost of flying back and forth to the States.

Mom - I know she is your pride and joy. But I personally would worry about a college sophmore who was so shy and nervous that she wouldn't LOVE to have 10 days free in Europe.
Old May 13th, 2007, 02:53 PM
ira

Hi te,

>She is not outgoing enough to feel comfortable on her own for this time period, ...<

She needs Powdermilk Biscuits, that give shy persons the strngth to get up and do what has to be done.

I sympathize.

However, after she has been in CH for a month, her attitude will be very different.

Don't worry about throwing the fledgling out of the nest. If she is old enough to go to school abroad for a month, she is old enough to figure out how to be on her own for a week.

Old May 13th, 2007, 02:53 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
oops - 21 yo college junior -- then even more so . . . .
Old May 13th, 2007, 03:49 PM

Hi teadrinker,

Does she speak any languages besides English? Is she comfortable in French or Italian or German?

Anyway, she's probably going to be in Lugano, which is not exactly "across a big lake from Milan," but is on Lake Lugano near Milan.

She may want to go to Montreux on Lake Geneva, in the French section of the country. Montreux is a hive of young activity -- there are several hotel schools and international business schools there, and she would be among folks her own age. I attended boarding school there (once upon a time . . .) and really love the place. It's truly international and quite lovely.

Let us know as you learn more!

s
Old May 13th, 2007, 05:10 PM

I would assume she'll meet other students during these classes - who will be traveling in between and invite her along. If she's 21 and taking all of these classes for a month and doesn;t make at least a couple of friends to do things with (classes aren't 24 hours per day) you have a way bigger problem than this vacation.

Tell her to plan on doing some traveling with fellow students.
Old May 13th, 2007, 05:11 PM

Sorry - but if at a certain size the little birds don;t try to fly the parents push them out of the nest - they've got to learn to do it sometimes - and this seems the ideal opportunity.
Old May 13th, 2007, 05:37 PM

She is going to be much more comfortable after being there for a month. I think you and she will find that her confidence level will rise quite a bit.
Old May 13th, 2007, 05:42 PM

It's easy to tell somebody else to be brave, but not always so easy for a person to accept that advice. I can empathise very easily with teadrinker's daughter, and suspect that telling her that everything will be okay might not be a sufficient response to her concerns. It's just more difficult for some people than for others. That's not good or bad; it's just the nature of individual difference.

So what might work? I suggest trying to find a place or circumstance with built-in supports. I don't have immediate suggestions, but there might be a one-week programme somewhere that suits her needs. Getting around in Europe can be cheap if it is well-planned (not so easy in June-July) so she might consider different places.

If we knew a little more about her and her interests (and her concerns) we might be able to suggest how she spend her free week.
Old May 13th, 2007, 05:44 PM

Your first two correspondents gave some very good suggestions...don't listen to those who are almost suggesting psychiatric exams, how rude. This is a big jump for her and I don't blame her for being a little "scared." A cookery class in Paris sounds fantastic but maybe that's the last thing on her mind. Some sort of minimally structured plan with lodging worked out might/should be enough to allay her fears. Lucky girl!
Old May 13th, 2007, 10:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It does sound like she's in Lugano. A wonderful place to be during June. Lucky her!

That one month will change her a bit. She'll get used to being in Switzerland, get used to European habits and hear lots about other countries. She'll overcome her inhibitions about travelling through the stories told by teachers and fellow students.

Possibilities for June 29-July 8:

-Go to London for a few days. It's so nice to be in an English-speaking country after a month of hearing Italian or German. London is easy to travel on your own and lots to do.

-Discover Switzerland. Staying in hostels and going hiking.

-Stay put in Lugano. There are worse places for a person to be. She can discover the area, enjoy the food and sounds and just relax.

- My favourite: make a new friend and go travelling with her for a few days.

Switzerland's public schools don't end until after the first week of July.